Quantcast
Connect with us

Wary US swimmers share waves with deadly sharks off Cape Cod

Published

on

At the entrance to Newcomb Hollow Beach, at the tip of the Cape Cod peninsula, the picture of a great white shark reminds swimmers that the US shores of the Atlantic must be shared with the ocean’s most feared predator.

The great whites swim to this region in the northeastern United States to hunt for one of their preferred foods — seals.

Since the Marine Mammal Protection Act was passed in 1972 the number of seals in Cape Cod has grown to more than 50,000.

ADVERTISEMENT

In 2005 the great whites were declared a protected species in the state of Massachusetts — where Cape Cod is located — and have since become regular visitors to the region.

On July 13 and 14 five great whites were spotted off Cape Cod, forcing three beaches to be briefly evacuated, the Atlantic White Shark Conservation Society reported.

The deadly sharks are a great tourist attraction, and their pictures are splashed on T-shirts, coffee mugs and caps for sale in the area. Yet despite their fearsome reputation shark attacks on humans are rare.

One victim was Arthur Medici, a 26-year-old belly board surfer killed by a great white just a few yards (meters) into the ocean at Newcomb Hollow Beach in September 2018. A stone plaque was placed at the beach in his memory.

But prior to Medici the last deadly Cape Cod shark attack dates back to the 1930s, according to local news media.

ADVERTISEMENT

Local authorities, however, are taking no chances. This year the state has granted funds to Cape Cod peninsula towns to help them deal with sharks, even though there is no clear plan on what to do.

One tactic some towns are using is to train lifeguards and residents on ways to stop severe bleeding in case of a shark attack.

– No 100-percent deterrent –

ADVERTISEMENT

“We have new ‘Stop the Bleed’ kits in our medical bags. We also have ‘Stop the Bleed’ kits up in the parking lots, so in case we are not here… anyone on the beach can access that,” said Adriana Picariello, the head lifeguard at Newcomb Hollow Beach.

“We have all been trained in ‘Stop the Bleed,'” she said, adding that the town is also offering training for residents.

ADVERTISEMENT

But for now, apart from a warning system that announces the presence of sharks that have been tagged with special chips, there is no long-term solution.

“We are seeing more danger to the human population while swimming,” said Melyssa Millett, a seal and shark environmental guide on Monomoy Island, just south of the peninsula.

“This is a natural course in nature’s cycle,” she said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Scientist are trying to find ways to manage the seal population, which in turn would help manage the shark population, she said.

For the moment, all that swimmers and surfers can do is be cautious.

“I don’t think there will be anything that is a 100-percent deterrent,” said surfer Christa von der Luft.

“I would like to see what an examination of all the options look like to see if there is something that can be done,” she said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Other beaches along the eastern US seaboard are also dealing with the dangerous sharks.

About 930 miles (1,500 kilometers) to the south, off the beaches of North Carolina, three people were attacked by sharks between April and June.

Researchers at the University of Florida recorded 66 shark attacks last year around the world, including four that were deadly.

In the United States 32 shark attacks were recorded in 2018 with one fatality — meaning that the chances of dying from a shark attack are one in 3.7 million.

ADVERTISEMENT


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Washington Post issues scathing editorial about Trump hiding Secret Service costs at his properties

Published

on

Trump Organization chief Eric Trump claimed that the taxpayers aren' footing the bill for the exorbitant costs for the Secret Service to stay at President Donald Trump's properties.

In a scathing editorial Sunday, the Washington Post said that no one is disputing that the president must have Secret Service protection, the problem is that the Trump family is making money off of them.

"An investigation by The Post’s David A. Fahrenthold, Jonathan O’Connell, Carol D. Leonnig and Josh Dawsey found 103 payments from January 2017 to April 2018 from the Secret Service to Trump companies, totaling more than $471,000. Among the charges were $650 per night for agents to use rooms “dozens” of times in 2017 at Mr. Trump’s Mar-a-Lago Club in Florida and $17,000 a month to rent a three-bedroom cottage at Trump National Golf Club Bedminister in New Jersey for three months in 2017," the editorial recalled.

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Trump abandons #Daytona500 before it begins

Published

on

It appears President Donald Trump either isn't a race fan or he was mad at FOX for cutting his speech from the broadcast of the Daytona 500 Sunday.

While the president wasn't scheduled to stay that long, he left even earlier, long before the race began.

SpecSports360 host Jon Alba tweeted about the president abandoning the Sunday race.

https://twitter.com/JonAlba/status/1229151279307542528

Trump arrived at the race to lead the cars in the presidential limo known as "The Beast." Air Force One did a flyover and the president began to make a speech but it was cut from the broadcast.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Barr blasted for not jumping ship after Trump upstaged him with boast he can make the AG do as he pleases

Published

on

In a scorching column for Time magazine, former U.S. Attorney Joyce Vance stated that Bill Barr should resign immediately after Donald Trump boasted on Twitter that he can make the attorney general do as he pleases -- with the promise that he might ask him to interfere in a federal case.

Using Trump's Friday tweet, where he wrote, "'The President has never asked me to do anything in a criminal case.' A.G. Barr This doesn’t mean that I do not have, as President, the legal right to do so, I do, but I have so far chosen not to!" Vance said that should have been the last straw for Barr after complaining about the president's tweets.

Continue Reading
 
 
close-image