‘I’m not going to let you die’: San Diego deputy overdoses after coming in contact with fentanyl
According to the San Diego County Sheriff's Department, one of its deputies was exposed to fentanyl in the field, requiring emergency life-saving intervention by a field training officer on the scene. - San Diego County Sheriff's Department/TNS

SAN DIEGO — The accidental fentanyl exposure hit Deputy David Faiivae quickly. It was an overdose. He was dying. A body-worn camera caught the moment Faiivae collapsed flat on his back in a San Marcos parking lot last month, seconds after he finished testing a white powder he’d suspected was either cocaine or fentanyl. The sheriff’s deputy stared into the sky, his lungs locked as he struggled for air. If not for a quick-thinking partner, he would be dead. Faiivae’s near-fatal overdose July 3 was the subject of a four-minute video released by the San Diego County Sheriff’s Department this week....