Judge in Surfside collapse lawsuit agrees to pay condo owners more for property loss
The partial collapse of the Champlain Towers South condominium in Surfside, Florida,. - Miami Herald/Miami Herald/TNS

MIAMI — The judge overseeing the class-action lawsuit for the Surfside condo collapse said Tuesday he would increase the payout for condo owners whose homes were destroyed last summer. Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Michael Hanzman gave preliminary approval to pay the 136 unit owners a total of $96 million, which he said was the appraised value of their homes prior to the June 24 collapse. The owners previously agreed to an $83 million allocation, but about 50 of them signed a letter last week asking that Hanzman reconsider the payment after a nearly $1 billion settlement was announced for the wrong...