Top Pakistan court orders release of militant in Daniel Pearl murder

Pakistan's Supreme Court Thursday ordered the release of a British-born militant convicted of masterminding the kidnap and brutal murder of US journalist Daniel Pearl, who was beheaded by jihadists in 2002.

"The court has come out to say that there is no offence that he has committed in this case," Mahmood Sheikh, who represented the accused Ahmed Omar Saeed Sheikh, told AFP.

A court order released late Thursday said that Sheikh along with three accomplices connected to the case should "be released forthwith", though it was not clear when that would happen.

Pearl was the South Asia bureau chief for The Wall Street Journal when he was abducted in Karachi in January 2002 while researching a story about Islamist militants.

Nearly a month later, after a string of ransom demands were made, a graphic video showing his decapitation was given to officials.

Sheikh, a British-born jihadist who once studied at the London School of Economics and had been involved in previous kidnappings of foreigners, was arrested days after Pearl's abduction.

He was later sentenced to death by hanging after telling a Karachi court that Pearl had already been killed days before the gruesome video of the journalist's beheading had been released.

Pearl's family on Thursday called the decision to free him "a travesty of justice" and pleaded for US intervention in the case.

"The release of these killers puts in danger journalists everywhere and the people of Pakistan. We urge the US government to take all necessary actions under the law to correct this injustice," the family said in a statement.

Reporters Without Borders also slammed the ruling, saying in a statement that it "will remain as a symbol of the absolute impunity surrounding crimes of violence against journalists in this country."

The ruling follows an international outcry last year when a lower court acquitted the 47-year-old Sheikh of murder and reduced his conviction to a lesser charge of kidnapping -- overturning his death sentence and ordering his release after almost two decades in prison.

That sparked a series of petitions against the acquittal, including from Pearl's family, but the Supreme Court rejected them in the split decision Thursday, upholding the acquittal.

'Travesty of justice'

For years Sheikh had denied personally killing Pearl, but the top court heard earlier this week that he had admitted to having had a "minor role" in a handwritten letter from 2019 that was sent to a provincial court.

Lawyers for Pearl's family have argued that Sheikh played a crucial role in organising the abduction and detention of the journalist, before ordering his captors to kill him.

Defence lawyers, however, say he was a scapegoat and sentenced on insufficient evidence.

Sheikh and the three other men convicted of involvement in the kidnapping have been held under emergency orders by the Sindh provincial government, which has argued that they are a danger to the public.

Late Thursday the Sindh government said it would file a review petition against the Supreme Court verdict. It was not clear how long that might take.

Last month the then-US acting Attorney General Jeffrey Rosen said Washington "stands ready to take custody of Omar Sheikh to stand trial here" after labelling the acquittal "an affront to terrorism victims everywhere".

In January 2011, following an investigation into the killing, a report released by the Pearl Project at Georgetown University made chilling revelations, claiming that the wrong men were convicted for Pearl's murder.

The investigation, led by Pearl's friend and former Wall Street Journal colleague Asra Nomani, and a Georgetown University professor, claimed the reporter was murdered by Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, the alleged mastermind of the September 11, 2001 attacks.

The report also provided granular details about Sheikh's alleged role in orchestrating the kidnapping of Pearl.

5,000 year-old Egyptian artifact found in cigar box

A missing 5,000-year-old Egyptian artifact has been found in a cigar box in the Scottish city of Aberdeen. The artifact, a fragment of wood, was one of three items found inside the Queen's Chamber of the Great Pyramid in Giza in 1872. The two other items, a ball and hook, are currently housed in the British Museum in London. The piece of wood was given by engineer Waynman Dixon, who found the relics, to Dr James Grant, a graduate of the University of Aberdeen, who bequeathed it to the university after his death in 1895. His daughter donated the "five-inch [12.7-centimetre] piece of cedar" 51 y...

Keep reading... Show less

Boris Johnson: Britain won't abandon EU talks but no deal 'most likely'

Prime Minister Boris Johnson has said he is not going to walk away from Brexit talks - but Britain should prepare for World Trade Organization (WTO) rules, which would mean no trade deal with the European Union. The British prime minister warned that while Britain was keen to continue talks and believe a deal could be arranged with the European Union, Britons should prepare for no post-Brexit deal on January 1. Speaking to Sky News in Downing Street after his phone call with European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen and a meeting with his cabinet on Sunday, he said: "As things stand, ...

Keep reading... Show less

Germany to enter shutdown over Christmas -- closing most shops into January

Germany is to close all but essential shops in the coming days under a weeks-long lockdown covering the Christmas holiday period, Chancellor Angela Merkel and the country's 16 state premiers agreed at a meeting on Sunday. The measures are to come into effect from Wednesday and last until January 10. These also include considerable restrictions imposed on schools and kindergartens, with most facilities to be closed or only operate to a limited extent. A partial lockdown in Germany that closed bars, restaurants and leisure facilities from early November while keeping shops and schools open was "...

Keep reading... Show less

Maduro claims victory in Venezuelan elections boycotted by opposition

Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro has claimed a sweeping victory in parliamentary elections that were boycotted by a weakened opposition. With more than 82 per cent of the votes counted, Maduro and his Socialist allies won just over 67 per cent, according to the Venezuelan broadcaster Telesur. Opposition parties received nearly 32 per cent. A win for Maduro's Socialist Party would place the country's only opposition-controlled government institution into his hands. The main opposition parties boycotted the elections, headed by opposition leader and parliamentary speaker Juan Guaido who enter...

Keep reading... Show less

Netflix says it won't add a disclaimer to 'The Crown'

Netflix says it will not start reminding viewers that its hit show "The Crown" is a drama, dismissing sharp criticism from royalists and a British minister over its depiction of historical events. "We have always presented 'The Crown' as a drama, and we have every confidence our members understand it's a work of fiction that's broadly based on historical events," the streaming service told British media in a statement. "As a result, we have no plans – and see no need – to add a disclaimer." After an initial backlash from both royals and the government, Helena Bonham Carter, who plays Princess ...

Keep reading... Show less

Temperatures top 104 as heatwave hits eastern Australia

Temperatures topped 40 degrees in parts of Australia on Saturday as a heatwave hit the country's east.In the late morning, temperatures reached 42 degrees through the inland in the states of New South Wales, Queensland and Victoria as well as in South Australia, according to the Bureau of Meteorology (BoM).In New South Wales, parts of the city of Sydney passed 40 degrees in the afternoon and temperatures were expected to stay sweltering until late Sunday afternoon.It marks the first wave of extreme heat of the season in the east as Australia heads into summer.Total fire bans were in place in p...

Keep reading... Show less

Iranian president points finger at US and Israel for murder of physicist

Iran's arch-enemies, the United States and Israel, are behind the fatal attack on nuclear physicist Mohsen Fakhrizadeh, President Hassan Rowhani said on Saturday."Once again, imperialism and its Zionist mercenaries caused bloodshed and the death of an Iranian scientist," he said.According to Rowhani, this "terrorist attack" merely proves the fear of Iran's enemies about the country's technological progress.However, the murder will not prevent the country from continuing Fakhrizadeh's path with even greater commitment, the president said on state television.The head of Iran's nuclear agency, Al...

Keep reading... Show less

Iran agency head: Murder of physicist will not stop nuclear program

The head of Iran's nuclear agency, Ali-Akbar Salehi, has vowed that the killing of nuclear physicist Mohsen Fakhrizadeh will neither stop nor impair progress in the country's nuclear programme."Fakhrizadeh's path is now being continued even more intensively," Salehi said on Saturday.Communications Minister Mohammad Javad Azari Jahromi made a similar statement. "Thousands will grow back for the one flower that is torn out," the minister tweeted.Fakhrizadeh was shot "by terrorists" in Ab-Sard, a suburb in eastern Tehran.Local authorities confirmed Fakhrizadeh's death and also that several attack...

Keep reading... Show less

Fans force entry into palace to pay Maradona last respects

Fans of the late Argentinian football legend Diego Maradona on Thursday forced entry into the government palace, Casa Rosada, television reports said.The fans climbed over the fence at the entrance, apparently because they feared not being let in to see his coffin to pay their last respects.Police used tear gas to disperse the crowd, while inside the palace, Maradona's coffin was moved to a safer place in another room.Clashes meanwhile broke out near the Casa Rosada in the historic centre of Buenos Aires. Angry fans hurled stones and bottles at police, who responded with rubber bullets and wat...

Keep reading... Show less

Why fewer people are dying of Covid-19 -- even as cases surge

(tca/dpa) - Last spring was the busiest season Michael K. Donohue can remember for his family's six funeral homes in the Philadelphia suburbs. Covid-19 was the primary reason, of course, with 160 funerals in April alone — double the usual number.But this fall, even as the daily totals of new infections have surged past where they were in the spring, business at Donohue Funeral Homes remains fairly normal — so far. Donohue, the president of the 122-year-old business based in Upper Darby, sees the trend as well as any epidemiologist."It's just not hitting the elderly," he said.Since the start o...

Keep reading... Show less

In a high-tech world, CB radio lives on in the world of trucking

A "bear" is a police officer, while a "bear in the air" or an "eye in the sky" means an aircraft monitoring traffic on the highway above. CB radio chatter is packed with colourful terms that are familiar to most outside the trucking community from TV shows or movies such as "Over the Top," with Sylvester Stalone.CB stands for "citizens band," a land mobile radio system that allows short-distance person-to-person bidirectional voice communication.While most people use smartphones these days, CB is still useful for some communities, particularly professional tractor-trailer drivers.In the United...

Keep reading... Show less

UN: Ghosn entitled to reparations for 'arbitrary' detention in Japan

The former boss of carmaker Nissan, Carlos Ghosn, should receive compensation from Japan because his detention there lacked legal grounds and ran counter to fair trial rules, a panel of UN human rights experts has found."The deprivation of liberty of Carlos Ghosn from 19 November 2018 to 5 March 2019 and from 4 to 25 April 2019 ... was arbitrary," the UN Working Group on Arbitrary Detention said in a report that was published on Monday in Geneva.Ghosn, who once led the Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi Motors alliance, was arrested in November 2018 and has been charged with breach of trust and falsify...

Keep reading... Show less

Former French president Sarkozy faces corruption charges in court

Former French president Nicolas Sarkozy is due to face trial in Paris on Monday on accusations of corruption and influence-peddling.In 2014 he is said to have tried to obtain investigative secrets from a senior lawyer at the Court of Cassation through his lawyer.Sarkozy's long-time lawyer Thierry Herzog is also on trial. If the charges are proven, the two could face up to 10 years in prison.The Paris trial, which is to last until December 10, is considered unprecedented in modern French history.It would be the first time a president has appeared in court facing such serious accusations.In 2011...

Keep reading... Show less

Germany marks 75 years since Nuremberg Trials held Nazis to account

Friday marks 75 years since the beginning of the Nuremberg Trials, a judicial marathon that held Nazi officers to account for the atrocities of World War II and paved the way for future war criminals to be tried under international law.Germany commemorated the anniversary with an event in the Bavarian city of Nuremberg, in which President Frank-Walter Steinmeier gave a speech."The main war crimes trial in Nuremberg was a revolution. It not only wrote legal history, it wrote world history," Steinmeier said, according to a transcript of his speech made available ahead of the event.The event was ...

Keep reading... Show less

Don't Sit on the Sidelines of History. Join Raw Story Investigates and Go Ad-Free. Support Honest Journalism.