Hypocrite: Here are 5 times in the last year Mike Pence wildly disagreed with the Trump agenda
On Thursday, multiple news organizations reported that GOP candidate Donald Trump has selected Indiana Gov. Mike Pence to be his running mate — though after the reports circulated, the Trump camp denied making the decision.
While Pence has been seen by many in the anxious Republican party as a safe pick for Trump, out of choices that included former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, and retired Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn.
But if Trump settles on Pence, the two may have some reconciling to do. Pence has made comments in the past that directly counter positions Trump has taken on the campaign trail.
1. Pence criticized Trump for saying a federal judge with Mexican heritage shouldn’t be assigned to the Trump University lawsuit. Trump’s reasoning was that because he has made derogatory comments about Mexico and vowed to supporters that he’ll build a wall between the U.S. and Mexico and make Mexico pay for it, the judge was biased against him. Trump was roundly blasted on all sides for these remarks, including by Pence.
“I don’t think it’s ever appropriate to question the partiality of the judge based on their ethnic background,” Pence told the Indiana Star.
2. Pence also blasted Trump for saying that Muslim people should be barred from entering the United States.
Calls to ban Muslims from entering the U.S. are offensive and unconstitutional.
— Governor Mike Pence (@GovPenceIN) December 8, 2015‘
3. Trump has made himself a quasi-populist favorite by slamming global trade deals like the Trans Pacific Partnership. Pence, on the other hand, supports TPP and has urged lawmakers to sign on.
Trade means jobs, but trade also means security. The time has come for all of us to urge the swift adoption of the Trans Pacific Partnership
— Governor Mike Pence (@GovPenceIN) September 8, 2014
4. As with many of his positions, Trump has waffled on Planned Parenthood — a favorite target for the religious right. Trump has praised the organization for helping women, however claims to hold anti-abortion views now. Pence, on the other hand, has waged all-out war on Planned Parenthood.
5. Trump has also been wishy-washy on LGBT rights and even tweeted support for the community after the Orlando massacre at Pulse nightclub last month. Pence, on the other hand has led on legislation to bar the LGBT community from having civil rights protections afforded to other minority groups.