RawStory

Bank

Busted: 'Mean-spirited' Trump allies reportedly hid collusion to inflate grocery costs

On Friday, a nonprofit forced the Trump administration to unseal a damning complaint lodged by the Biden-era Federal Trade Commission against Pepsi for colluding with Walmart to raise food prices across the nation. New un-redacted information claims FTC Chair Ferguson and his colleague Mark Meador (both Trump appointees) were hiding the mechanics of Pepsi’s and Wal-Mart’s price fixing.

Pepsi is a “must-have” product for grocery stores, and Walmart is also massively powerful,” reports BIG Newsletter writer Matt Stoller. Critics say Pepsi allegedly engages in price discrimination to maintain the approval of Walmart, its biggest buyer — even going so far as to police prices at smaller rival stores. And it prepares reports for Walmart showing them their pricing advantages on Pepsi products.

Keep reading... Show less

Ex-lawmakers rip 'cowards' in Congress for letting Trump walk all over them

New York Times writer Lulu Garcia-Navarro says Congress’ approval rating is at a “dreadful 15 percent,” and President Donald Trump’s own polling is at dismal levels. Yet, Congressional Republicans can’t seem to release their death grip on the unpopular president.

Former lawmakers also accuse Congress of allowing President Donald Trump to walk over them and usurp power.

Keep reading... Show less

‘She’s like The Monkees’: MAGA lawmaker launches bizarre attack on Jasmine Crockett

Rep. Tim Burchett (R-TN) launched a bizarre attack on Rep. Jasmine Crockett (D-TX) Saturday during an appearance on Fox News, comparing her to the 1960s pop rock band The Monkees, and criticizing her for getting “her swag on” and “throwing her hands out.”

Crockett recently announced a bid for Senate, and has become a rising star in the Democratic Party over her frequent public feuds with President Donald Trump. Burchett, however, argued Saturday that he felt “Texas will be on to her,” and accused her of promoting a false version of herself.

Keep reading... Show less

Leaked memo reveals VA plan to cut up to 35,000 jobs, raising fears of longer care delays

A leaked Veterans Affairs memo reveals plans for major staffing reductions that could further strain an already overburdened health care system serving millions of veterans. Under the leadership of VA Secretary Doug Collins, the department is preparing to cut as many as 35,000 positions, many of them currently vacant, according to reporting by The Washington Post. The Veterans Health Administration has instructed managers to cancel thousands of job openings, including roles for doctors, nurses, and support staff — a move employees warn will worsen wait times and limit access to care for former service members.

The proposed cuts come on top of roughly 30,000 positions already eliminated and could shrink the VA health care workforce by about 10 percent, reducing staffing levels to as few as 372,000 employees. Union officials and frontline workers say the reductions risk pushing the system past its breaking point. “The VA has been chronically understaffed for years,” said Thomas Dargon Jr. of the American Federation of Government Employees, while Colorado VA nurse Sharda Fornarino warned staff are being asked to “do more with less.” The staffing overhaul is expected to coincide with a broader reorganization that may also reduce the VA’s regional office structure overseeing hospitals and medical centers nationwide.

Keep reading... Show less

'Not what they voted for': Why swing voters are leaving Trumpism in droves

New York Times writer E.J. Dionne Jr., says a great many Americans who helped put Donald Trump in office have absorbed what’s happened since.

“They may not be glued to every chaotic twist of this presidency, but they do pay attention and have concluded, reasonably, that this is not what they voted for,” said Dionne.

Keep reading... Show less

Leaked Trump Admin memo hints at cuts at VA: report

A leaked Veterans Administration memo reveals staffing reductions at facilities serving former military members, The Washington Post reported Saturday.

Under the leadership of former far-right GOP lawmaker Doug Collins, the VA is planning to eliminate up to 35,000 positions, The Washington Post reported. The agency has already faced persistent criticism for inadequate staffing levels, which have contributed to extended wait times for veterans seeking care.

The VA responded, confirming that 25,000 cuts were being made, but that they were all open roles, many of which were created during the COVID pandemic, and that they would have no effect on the quality of care. An administration spokesman said no actual employee would lose their job.

Keep reading... Show less

Prosecutors fight over Charlie Kirk killing as DOJ considers ‘highly unusual’ charges

State and federal prosecutors are squabbling after President Donald Trump’s Justice Department is reportedly considering pursuing “highly unusual” federal charges against the suspected killer of Charlie Kirk, NBC News reported Saturday.

Kirk was assassinated in September while speaking at an event at Utah University, and his suspected killer, 22-year-old Tyler Robinson, was arrested two days later. While Robinson already faces multiple state charges, including aggravated murder, the DOJ is now considering pursuing federal charges and painting the murder as an “anti-Christian hate crime.”

Keep reading... Show less

'Unmotivated donors' plague Republicans in pivotal southern state

Georgia Insurance Commissioner John King is sounding the alarm on party donations heading into the mid-terms.

“The usually low-key King posted a lengthy statement to social media, almost a manifesto, after Democrats managed to flip a Republican state House seat in Oconee and Clarke counties,” wrote Atlanta Journal Constitution Senior Political columnist Patricia Murphy. “That unexpected special election loss followed two 26-point Democratic routs in November for a pair of statewide Public Service Commission seats, which Georgia Republicans have dominated for decades.”

Keep reading... Show less

Trump appointee Pirro cited for 'swing and miss' grand jury failures

Former Fox News personality Jeannine Pirro took center stage in a New York Times report examining the Donald Trump Department of Justice's struggle to secure grand jury indictments.

According to the report, DOJ prosecutors and Trump appointees in U.S. Attorney offices are experiencing an unusually high rate of failure in obtaining indictments, let alone convictions, as part of the president's agenda.

While former real estate lawyer turned prosecutor Lindsey Halligan has drawn the most scrutiny for mishandling cases against former FBI Director James Comey and New York Attorney General Letitia James, the Times reports that Pirro may have the poorest track record overall.

Pirro, who served as a prosecutor before becoming a conservative media figure, notably failed to secure a conviction against Sean Dunn, who was prosecuted for throwing a sandwich at a U.S. Customs and Border Protection officer in Washington, D.C.

As the Times' Glenn Thrush and Alan Feuer reported, "In recent months, grand jurors in Washington spurned efforts to indict or ultimately convict anti-Trump activists: a woman who posted a threat against Mr. Trump on Instagram and, most famously, a Justice Department employee who tossed a sandwich at federal officers."

Pirro, who leads the Washington D.C. office, appears to have the highest rate of unsuccessful prosecutions.

"That distinction appears to belong to Jeanine Pirro, the U.S. attorney in Washington, whose office failed three times to obtain an indictment against a woman who pushed an F.B.I. agent against a wall during a protest over the summer," they wrote. "Even when Ms. Pirro's subordinates changed course and moved forward on misdemeanor charges that did not require an indictment, a trial jury shut them down again, acquitting the woman altogether."

Keep reading... Show less

'Scumbags': GOP digital team in epic collapse following party's humiliating remarks

Bulwark editors Sam Stein and Andrew Egger took on the epic collapse of the RNC social media team after humiliating remarks from RNC Chair Joe Gruters threatened to diminish donations and curb GOP voter turnout.

Gruters said out loud this week that the Republican Party is likely headed to “almost certain defeat” in the upcoming mid-terms, which sent the RNC’s digital team into an obscenity-laced panic with accounts insulting and name-calling critics about the claims.

Keep reading... Show less

Ghislaine Maxwell may be angling for Trump pardon after prison transfer, reporter says

Ghislaine Maxwell, the longtime associate of disgraced financier and convicted sex trafficker Jeffrey Epstein, may be positioning herself for a presidential pardon after receiving what critics describe as preferential treatment in federal prison. Maxwell was recently transferred to a minimum-security prison camp in Texas following an unusual interview with the Justice Department in which she reportedly sought to distance President Donald Trump from Epstein’s crimes. The move has raised eyebrows among legal observers and advocates for Epstein’s victims, particularly as no administration officials have ruled out the possibility of a sentence commutation or pardon.

Speaking with MSNBC’s Ali Velshi, Miami Herald investigative reporter Julie Brown said Maxwell appears to be calculating her next steps carefully. Brown suggested Maxwell is acutely aware of the sensitive information she possesses about Epstein’s network and those who enabled his crimes. If a pardon does not materialize, Brown speculated that Maxwell could begin leaking damaging details as leverage, signaling to powerful figures that she “knows where the skeletons are buried.” According to Brown, Maxwell may be waiting to see how the political and legal landscape evolves before making her most aggressive move.

Keep reading... Show less

Trump's legal losing streak is forcing him to scramble before 'the game is over': report

Donald Trump faces mounting obstacles in his strategy to place loyalists in U.S. Attorney positions without Senate approval, prompting the normally stubborn and confrontational president to explore alternative approaches.

According to reporting from Politico's Erica Orden, the resignation of Trump appointee Alina Habba signals that the administration recognizes its legal position has weakened and may be reluctant to pursue the matter before the Supreme Court.

Habba, a former personal attorney to the president who represented him when he lost two defamation lawsuits filed by writer E. Jean Carroll, stepped down this week following a court ruling that deemed her appointment unlawful. In her statement, she explained, "As a result of the Third Circuit's ruling, and to protect the stability and integrity of the office which I love, I have decided to step down in my role as the U.S. Attorney for the District of New Jersey."

Delaware U.S. Attorney Julianne Murray subsequently resigned, also citing the Habba ruling as her reason for stepping down.

Legal experts indicate the administration faces a difficult calculus moving forward. Carl Tobias, a law professor at the University of Richmond, outlined the administration's limited options when speaking with Politico: suggesting they could "...continue to try to install temporary U.S. attorneys, only to repeatedly have those choices disqualified by courts, or attempt the traditional process of Senate confirmation."

Tobias suggested the White House may be hesitant to escalate the matter to the Supreme Court, noting, "I think the last thing they want is to have the Supreme Court say no, right? Because then the game is over. ... they can continue to do what they've been doing, and that is avoiding advice and consent, which is in the Constitution, which they've done in more than half the districts, and continue to play games with the system."

Nina Mendelson, a professor at the University of Michigan Law School, cautioned that a Supreme Court decision could cut either way, with potential long-term implications. She wrote in an email to Politico, "If [the administration] does appeal, the Supreme Court may, on the one hand, be interested in preserving the Senate's constitutional function of advice and consent and thus narrowly interpret the President's authority to appoint acting US Attorneys. On the other hand, the Supreme Court has, in a series of cases, expressed its concern for presidential control and flexibility, which might prompt it to more generously interpret the President's power."

You can read more here.

‘May send a marshal to the prison’: Colorado Dems brace for pardon ‘battle’ against Trump

Colorado officials are bracing themselves for an all-out “battle” against President Donald Trump as they seek to get ahead of the president’s pledge to pardon Tina Peters, a former county clerk who was jailed in connection with the efforts to overturn the results of the 2020 election, The New York Times reported Saturday.

“This is so far beyond the pale,” said Colorado Attorney General Phil Weiser, a Democrat, the Times reported Saturday. “No one has thought to do this because it is so clearly against our constitutional system of government.”

Keep reading... Show less