MSNBC's Morning Joe's executive producer reported Wednesday morning that the network has been told there is video of the suicide bomb attack that killed seven CIA employees in Afghanistan last week.
The show's executive producer, Chris Licht, posted a terse entry on his Twitter page Wednesday, saying, "Breaking news: Sources tell Joe tape exists of attack on CIA base in Afghanistan. The source says CIA base chief was killed in the attack."
Morning Joe is hosted by Joe Scarborough.
Licht added: "Source also tells Joe CIA's number two operative in Afghanistan was injured. Prior to attack, agents knew immediately "something was wrong."
The fact that the CIA's base chief was killed has already been reported, but the existence of a video recording of the attack could add new intrigue to a bombing that appears to have been perpetrated by a double agent wearing an Afghan army uniform.
The suicide bombing that took the lives of eight Americans in Afghanistan last Wednesday was targeted at a CIA base in the eastern part of the country, and represents "the deadliest single attack on US intelligence personnel in the eight-year-long war and one of the deadliest in the agency's history," the Washington Post reported.
A former senior intelligence official said that the bomber was invited onto the base without being searched because he was being courted as an informant. An experienced CIA debriefer had come from Kabul specifically for the meeting.
One of those killed was the CIA base chief in Afghanistan's Khost Province. This appears to contradict earlier statements from US officials, who told the Post that "most, if not all" of the eight people killed were civilian employees of, or contractors for, the CIA.
Two of those killed worked for Xe, the company formerly known as Blackwater.
This video is from MSNBC's Morning Joe, broadcast Jan. 6, 2010.