Quantcast
Connect with us

2 million face bleak holidays after Scott Brown blocks jobless benefits

Published

on

Mass. senator offers compromise plan, but for some benefits receivers it’s already too late

Benefits’ expiry could cost 1 million jobs; ending benefits at 9% unemployment ‘unprecedented’

ADVERTISEMENT

Scott Brown, the senator from Massachusetts who briefly captured the imagination of the tea party movement when he won Ted Kennedy’s old seat, came under attack from his own constituents Wednesday after blocking a bill that would have extended jobless benefits due to expire this month.

Brown placed a hold on the $56-billion bill that came up on the Senate floor Tuesday, effectively preventing it from coming to a vote before the end of the lame-duck Senate session.

The result is that two million people currently collecting jobless benefits from the federal government will lose their benefits sometime over the next few weeks, depending on the state they live in. In Brown’s home state of Massachusetts, an estimated 60,000 people are expected to lose their unemployment checks this month.

In opposing the extension, Brown said he couldn’t vote for a bill that he had “just found out” about.

ADVERTISEMENT

“It’s not the way to do business in the United States Senate, and if it is it needs to change,” Brown said. “We just found out today, or late yesterday, that we were even going to talk about this.”

OpenCongress reports that Brown was “acting on behalf of all Republicans.”

The senator offered his own compromise plan, which would see the federal government fund jobless benefits from unspent cash as it becomes available. Although Brown says he had the backing of 21 senators from across the aisle, Democrats blocked his proposal, saying Republicans are being insincere when they oppose benefits for the unemployed while they push for an extension of tax cuts for the rich.

ADVERTISEMENT

“I think we have to deal with the immediate crisis. I think we have to deal with the families that are struggling today,” said Democratic Sen. Jack Reed.

The New York Daily News reported that Brown’s compromise, even if it had been accepted by Democrats, would not come in time for residents of New York City, some 100,000 of whom face an end to benefits.

“It was too late. The benefits expired at 12:01 a.m. Wednesday,” the paper reported.

ADVERTISEMENT

Brown’s move has landed him in the cross-hairs of Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick, who told a radio audience Wednesday that the benefits’ expiry is “outrageous.”

“This is a question of character, of national character, and I hope that Scott Brown understands it that way and does what needs to be done,” Patrick said.

Responding to the anger, Brown put out a statement Wednesday casting himself as a supporter of the jobless benefits extension. But he said “the decision is not whether we should extend the benefits, it is how should we pay for them. Some of my colleagues want to pay for unemployment benefits by raising taxes or adding to the national debt. I disagree.”

ADVERTISEMENT

“The compromise bill I introduced last night would extend unemployment benefits for one year, without raising taxes or adding to the national debt,” he continued. “And it would be paid for by using unspent federal funds, some of which have been sitting around for years – and I might add that this is an idea that was supported by 21 of my Democratic colleagues in the Senate just last night.”

A report (PDF) from the Senate’s Joint Economic Committee says that the cumulative effect of two million people losing their unemployment benefits could cost the economy an additional one million jobs, as the unemployed cut back on consumption.

“Ending the federal unemployment program with the unemployment rate well over 9 percent would be unprecedented. Over the past six decades, as the economy has recovered from recessions, the highest unemployment rate at which federal unemployment benefits were cut off was 7.4 percent,” the report states.

ADVERTISEMENT

Enjoy this piece?

… then let us make a small request. Like you, we here at Raw Story believe in the power of progressive journalism — and we’re investing in investigative reporting as other publications give it the ax. Raw Story readers power David Cay Johnston’s DCReport, which we've expanded to keep watch in Washington. We’ve exposed billionaire tax evasion and uncovered White House efforts to poison our water. We’ve revealed financial scams that prey on veterans, and legal efforts to harm workers exploited by abusive bosses. We’ve launched a weekly podcast, “We’ve Got Issues,” focused on issues, not tweets. And unlike other news outlets, we’ve decided to make our original content free. But we need your support to do what we do.

Raw Story is independent. You won’t find mainstream media bias here. We’re not part of a conglomerate, or a project of venture capital bros. From unflinching coverage of racism, to revealing efforts to erode our rights, Raw Story will continue to expose hypocrisy and harm. Unhinged from billionaires and corporate overlords, we fight to ensure no one is forgotten.

We need your support to keep producing quality journalism and deepen our investigative reporting. Every reader contribution, whatever the amount, makes a tremendous difference. Invest with us in the future. Make a one-time contribution to Raw Story Investigates, or click here to become a subscriber. Thank you. Click to donate by check.

Enjoy this piece?

… then let us make a small request. Like you, we here at Raw Story believe in the power of progressive journalism — and we’re investing in investigative reporting as other publications give it the ax. Raw Story readers power David Cay Johnston’s DCReport, which we've expanded to keep watch in Washington. We’ve exposed billionaire tax evasion and uncovered White House efforts to poison our water. We’ve revealed financial scams that prey on veterans, and efforts to harm workers exploited by abusive bosses. We’ve launched a weekly podcast, “We’ve Got Issues,” focused on issues, not tweets. Unlike other news sites, we’ve decided to make our original content free. But we need your support to do what we do.

Raw Story is independent. You won’t find mainstream media bias here. We’re not part of a conglomerate, or a project of venture capital bros. From unflinching coverage of racism, to revealing efforts to erode our rights, Raw Story will continue to expose hypocrisy and harm. Unhinged from corporate overlords, we fight to ensure no one is forgotten.

We need your support to keep producing quality journalism and deepen our investigative reporting. Every reader contribution, whatever the amount, makes a tremendous difference. Invest with us in the future. Make a one-time contribution to Raw Story Investigates, or click here to become a subscriber. Thank you.



Report typos and corrections to: [email protected]. Send news tips to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Facebook

#25thAmendmentNow is now the top trending topic after Trump calls himself ‘The Chosen One’

Published

on

President Tweets He’s ‘The Second Coming of God’

President Donald Trump appeared even more unhinged on Wednesday, kicking his day off by posting tweets calling him “the second coming of God,” and the “King of Israel.”  Just hours later Trump trashed the Prime Minister of Denmark, calling Mette Frederiksen’s negative response to him wanting to buy Greenland from them “nasty” – a word he generally reserves for women he does not like.

Continue Reading

Facebook

Cops spy on Connecticut park after it’s labeled a ‘hook-up spot’ — and nab 6 senior citizens

Published

on

Police in Connecticut arrested a group of senior citizens, ranging in ages 62 to 85, for lewd behavior in a conservation area, NBC Connecticut reports.

Six people were arrested, which included 5 men and one 85-year-old woman, according to the Fairfield Police Department. The arrests were made after police launched an investigation in response to reports of "lewd and sexual activity" taking place in the Grace Richardson conservation area in Fairfield.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Trump officials abruptly call off Midwest agriculture tour amid rising tensions with farmers

Published

on

President Donald Trump's officials were abruptly told to end their agricultural tour in the Midwest this week as tensions among farmers continue to rise.

Bloomberg News reported Trump administration officials were visiting farmers in the Midwest when they received a credible threat that prompted them to end their tour. The Pro Farmer Midwest Crop Tour was taking a look at soybeans and corn with Department of Agriculture staff when they were forced to pull out of the area.

Continue Reading
 
 

Thank you for whitelisting Raw Story!

As a special thank you, from now until August 31st, we're offering you a discounted rate of $5.99/month to subscribe and get ad-free access. We're honored to have you as a reader. Thank you. :) —Elias, Membership Coordinator
LEARN MORE
close-link
close-image