Quantcast
Connect with us

Bahrain Grand Prix cancelled after deadly protests

Published

on

MANAMA – The season-opening Bahrain Formula One Grand Prix, due to be staged on March 13, was cancelled on Monday due to the deadly political unrest in the Gulf state, organisers announced.

The widely anticipated move was confirmed in an official statement shortly after reports emerged that F1 teams had decided not to go ahead with a scheduled testing session at the circuit next week.

ADVERTISEMENT

Bahrain Crown Prince HRH Prince Salman bin Hamad Al-Khalifa said: “At the present time the country’s entire attention is focused on building a new national dialogue for Bahrain.

“Although (F1 rights holder) Bernie Ecclestone had graciously made clear that a decision on the race was entirely Bahrain’s to make and was not yet required, we felt it was important for the country to focus on immediate issues of national interest and leave the hosting of Bahrain’s Formula 1 race to a later date.”

The 2011 season will now get underway with the Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne on March 27 with the fourth and final round of pre-season testing to be held in Barcelona on March 8-11.

No date has been set for a possible rescheduling of the Bahrain race, which was first held in 2004 when Michael Schumacher won, later this year.

Ecclestone, who has been in constant contact with organisers over the race’s fate, expressed his sadness that the race had been lost.

ADVERTISEMENT

The F1 chief added: “We wish the whole nation well as they begin to heal their country.

“The hospitality and warmth of the people of Bahrain is a hallmark of the race there, as anyone who has been at a Bahrain Grand Prix will testify. We look forward to being back in Bahrain soon.”

Prince Salman in his statement added: “After the events of the past week, our nation’s priority is on overcoming tragedy, healing divisions and rediscovering the fabric that draws this country together; reminding the world of the very best that Bahrain is capable of as a nation once again united.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Circuit chairman Zayed Alzayani hoped the race could be restaged.

“Bahrain’s Grand Prix is a time of celebration and hosting the race is a source of great pride for Bahrain and Bahrainis,” he said.

ADVERTISEMENT

“It is a showcase to the world and we look forward to welcoming the teams and drivers and everyone involved in Formula One back to Bahrain in the very near future.

“I hope that F1 and our friends around the world will understand our decision at this difficult time.”

Monday’s announcement follows the cancellation of last weekend’s GP2 Series race in Bahrain after pro-democracy protests that have led to deadly clashes with police.

ADVERTISEMENT

The unrest in the small Gulf state of Bahrain is part of a wave of protests that have

rippled across North Africa and the Middle East since the revolt that ousted Tunisian president Zine El Abidine Ben Ali in January.

There had been unease in the pits over the staging of a race in a country in turmoil, with Red Bull’s Mark Webber one of the drivers to voice his reservations.

“When you hear of people losing their lives, this is a tragedy,” the Australian told the BBC.

ADVERTISEMENT

“It’s probably not the best time to go there for a sporting event. They have bigger things, bigger priorities.”

Speaking after Monday’s official announcement Webber commented: “They (organisers) know what is going on out there and they have made their call so let’s go to Melbourne.

“It would have been nice to go to Bahrain but we have to wait a bit longer to have our first race and that just happens to be my home race.”

Former F1 driver Martin Brundle, now a BBC commentator, said the right decision had been made.

ADVERTISEMENT

“I don’t think we were looking forward to going to Bahrain, shouting about a pole position lap or applauding a podium, when they’ve had so much turmoil there. The deaths and injuries have been a tragedy.

“It is absolutely the right decision for F1.”


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Facebook

Cristobal forms in Gulf of Mexico as season’s third tropical storm

Published

on

Tropical Storm Cristobal's formation in the Gulf of Mexico marks a new record as the earliest that the Atlantic hurricane season has seen its third named disturbance, US meteorologists said Tuesday.

The storm is producing maximum sustained winds of 40 miles (65 kilometers) per hour with some stronger gusts, as it swirls about 140 miles from the Mexican city of Campeche on the Yucatan peninsula, according to the Miami-based National Hurricane Center (NHC).

The agency predicted the storm would move slowly, remaining in the southern Bay of Campeche until Wednesday evening.

A Tropical Storm Warning was issued from Campeche to Veracruz.

Continue Reading

Facebook

Thousands in Paris protest racial injustice as George Floyd killing resonates beyond US

Published

on

Riot police fired tear gas Tuesday as scattered protesters in Paris pelted them with debris and set fires during an unauthorized demonstration against racial injustice and heavy-handed police tactics.

Several thousand people had previously rallied peacefully for two hours at the main Paris courthouse as global outrage over what happened to George Floyd in the United States kindled frustrations across borders and continents. The protesters also paid tribute to Adama Traoré, a French black man who died in police custody.

Continue Reading
 

COVID-19

Brazil’s Yanomamis say endangered by miners spreading coronavirus

Published

on

Brazil's Yanomami indigenous people on Tuesday demanded the government of President Jair Bolsonaro expel illegal goldminers from its territory to protect their communities from the spread of the coronavirus.

Three Yanomami people have died so far of COVID-19 and there are growing fears the pandemic could wipe out thousands of Brazil's 27,000 Yanomamis if they become widely exposed to the disease.

"The miners are entering the Yanomami indigenous land with COVID-19 contamination." said Dario Kopenawa, leader of the Hutukara Yanomami Association.

"It is a very serious situation for the Yanomami and that is why we are campaigning so that non-indigenous people worry about our situation. The coronavirus can kill many Yanomami," he said.

Continue Reading
 
 
You need honest news coverage. Help us deliver it. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free.
close-image