Stories Chosen For You
Federal prosecutors have charged a former Baltimore homicide prosecutor with ten counts of fraud in connection with a scheme to stalk former lovers.
The indictment against former Baltimore City Assistant State’s Attorney Adam Lane Chaudry was announced Friday by Maryland U.S. Attorney Charlton T. Howard, III.
"Chaudry maintained a romantic relationship with Victim #1 from May 2005 through January 2018; and with Victim #2 from August 2017 through September 2020," DOJ announced. "At no point were any of the victims a witness or target of any criminal investigation or prosecution by the BSAO."
DOJ explained, "the indictment alleges that between January 3, 2019 and April 12, 2021, Chaudry caused 33 grand jury and trial subpoenas to be issued for the telephone records of Victim #1. The indictment alleges that Chaudry caused the subpoenas to appear to be related to a 'special investigation in the Circuit Court for Baltimore City'; to contain no identifying case number; and to further state, 'The information sought in this subpoena is relevant and material to a legitimate law enforcement inquiry.' Other subpoenas contained similar fraudulent information."
Chaudry allegedly contacted a hotel that was listed in the first victim's phone records.
DOJ said, "in addition, the indictment alleges that on March 26, 2019, an investigator at BSAO provided Chaudry information that Chaudry had previously requested including Victim #1’s home address, MVA information, and her driver’s license photograph. Chaudry then allegedly used the information, including Victim #1’s driver’s license photograph to contact a hotel to request information about Victims #1 and #3’s stays at the hotel using his BSAO email address."
In December, the Office of the State Prosecutor charged Chaudry with more than 80 counts in Baltimore Circuit Court related to the same scheme, The Baltimore Sun reported.
Chaurdy's trial on the state charges is scheduled to begin in December.
On Friday, Spotlight News reported that an Albany, New York area man has been arrested after an alleged hate crime incident on the road.
"On Sunday, Sept. 25 at approximately 10:26 p.m., two women were driving on River Road traveling to the Cumberland Farms on Corning Hill road after work, when a 2010 Honda Civic began tailgating the vehicle. The Honda was flashing its lights and the driver was giving the women the middle finger before passing and then stopping in front of them," reported John McIntyre. "According to reports, the driver of the Honda, later identified as Kyle J. Demania, 19, exited the car and approached the woman in her car. He allegedly spit in her face and called her a derogatory word for a Black person multiple times. When the women exited the car, Demania allegedly punched her in the face multiple times then left the scene."
Demania was arrested after the women called 911 and gave his license plate number.
"On Tuesday, Sept. 27, Demania was taken into custody and interviewed at the police station. His girlfriend came to the station on her own, said she was in the vehicle and admitted she and Demania fabricated a story to tell police about the incident," said the report. "Demania was charged with hate crime assault, a felony, and assault to cause physical injury, a misdemeanor."
This comes amid a number of other hate crime incidents publicized around the country, as the rate of such incidents has climbed to the highest level in two decades.
The analysis came after a Washington Post story on attorney Chris Kise being sidelined after being paid $3 million up-front.
The report said Kise, "finds himself in a battle, trying to persuade Trump to go along with his legal strategy and fighting with some other advisers who have counseled a more aggressive posture. The dispute has raged for at least a week, Trump advisers say, with the former president listening as various lawyers make their best arguments."
The newspaper said the most recent court filing suggests Trump is siding with lawyers suggesting a combative posture.
"Trump didn't like the advice his new lawyer offered -- try to de-escalate with the DOJ and avoid criminal jeopardy. Now that guy is being pushed to the side," reporter Carol Leonnig wrote on Twitter.
Former federal prosecutor Renato Mariotti ripped Trump's decision making and wrote, "Chris Kise has wisely advised Trump to deescalate with DOJ and seek an off-ramp that avoids criminal charges."
"That’s what any competent lawyer would advise him to do," Mariotti explained. "Trump’s decision to sideline Kise in favor of the lawyers who helped get him in this mess is nonsensical."
"Kise points out that the other lawyers on Trump’s team lack relevant experience. He’s right," Mariotti added.
MSNBC legal analyst Lisa Rubin summarized the reporting by writing, "apparently, Chris Kise is conscientiously objecting to the shin-kicking, scorched-earth litigation style for which Trump is (in)famous."
Former Mueller prosecutor Andrew Weissmann wrote, "Infighting in Trump legal team. The sane one is of course losing out."