Quantcast
Connect with us

Florida takes Cuba business ban appeal to U.S. federal court

Published

on

MIAMI — Florida has appealed in a Miami federal court last month’s ruling blocking the entry into force of a state law prohibiting state agencies from awarding contracts to companies doing business with Cuba and Syria.

Florida Governor Rick Scott announced the appeal of the June 26 ruling by US District Judge K. Michael Moore, related to business interests of Brazilian construction giant Odebrecht.

ADVERTISEMENT

Odebrecht, which is engaged in a major port construction project in Mariel, Cuba, filed suit against the state of Florida earlier this month after the legislature overwhelmingly passed the measure.

The law, which was to go into effect July 1, would prohibit state and local government agencies from awarding contracts worth a million dollars or more to companies that have commercial ties in Cuba and Syria.

Republican governor Scott said “the (Cuban) Castro and (Syrian) Assad governments are undeniably repressive, and it is important that Florida taxpayers do not support dictators that suppress freedom. I firmly believe this law is right for Florida and will continue to defend it going forward.”


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Giuliani’s public invitation to Ukraine to interfere in US elections opened the door for other countries to run to Trump

Published

on

President Donald Trump's attorney Rudy Giuliani turned heads with his bizarre, unhinged rant on national television that effectively urged Ukraine to continue trying to gather dirt on former Vice President Joe Biden — and for news outlets to take whatever they find seriously.

As Casey Michel wrote in The Daily Beast, even if this effort ultimately fails to turn up useful opposition research against Biden, this is a profoundly dangerous development for American democracy.

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Trump whistleblower needs to go directly to FBI because Bill Barr can’t be trusted: Ex-FBI director

Published

on

Appearing on MSNBC with host Alex Witt, former FBI Assistant Director for Counterintelligence Frank Figliuzzi blew up Donald Trump's claim that he is the victim of a "Ukraine Witchhunt."

He then added that the whistleblower who went to the inspector general with a serious charge against the president should take what he has and go to the FBI within a week if nothing happens.

"We've got to get to the bottom of this, and we can't rely on leaks and certain reporters getting certain tidbits of information," the ex-FBI man explained. "This needs to be explored and it's likely this could end up in a criminal investigation."

Continue Reading
 

Facebook

Furious Biden goes scorched earth on ‘serial abuser’ Trump over smears in epic rant

Published

on

On Saturday in Des Moines, Iowa, former Vice President Joe Biden furiously laid into President Donald Trump amid reports he tried to strong-arm the Ukrainian government into digging up dirt on him and his son.

"Here's what I know, I know Trump deserves to be investigated," said Biden. "He is violating every basic norm of a president. You should be asking him the question, why is he on the phone with a foreign leader trying to intimidate a foreign leader, if that's what happened? That appears to have happened. You should be looking at Trump. Trump's doing this because he knows I'll beat him like a drum and he's using the abuse of power and every element of the presidency to try to do something to smear me."

Continue Reading
 
 
Help Raw Story Investigate and Uncover Injustice. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1 and go ad-free.
close-image