Quantcast
Connect with us

State Department offers $5 million for capture of Joseph Kony

Published

on

The United States offered $5 million Wednesday for the capture of Lord’s Resistance Army chief Joseph Kony, one of the world’s most wanted men, and posted rewards for three other rebel leaders evading trial for war crimes.

The announcement came just as Uganda and Washington said they had been forced to suspend their two-year hunt for Kony in the jungles of the Central African Republic, after rebels seized power in Bangui.

ADVERTISEMENT

The LRA, a Ugandan rebel group, has waged a brutal insurgency, accused of mutilations and child abductions for two decades across four countries.

Kony — a self-proclaimed prophet who claims his rebels are fighting to establish a government based on the Biblical Ten Commandments — and other LRA leaders face charges of war crimes and crimes against humanity at the International Criminal Court.

Kony’s name was added to the State Department’s war crimes rewards program along with fellow LRA members Okot Odhiambo and Dominic Ongwen, and Sylvestre Mudacumura from the Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda (FDLR), in the hopes that the men would be brought to justice.

The LRA “for almost 20 years has tormented and terrorized children across Uganda, the DRC, the Central African Republic and South Sudan. It has to stop,” US Secretary of State John Kerry said.

ADVERTISEMENT

But he admitted Kony and his cronies would “not be easy to find.”

“The LRA is broken down into small bands of rebels, scattered throughout dense jungle, hidden by dense canopy, controlling territory through tactics of fear and intimidation,” he said in a column in the online Huffington Post.

The LRA was “one of the world’s most brutal armed groups,” Ambassador for Global Criminal Justice Stephen Rapp told reporters, unveiling the rewards.

ADVERTISEMENT

“We act today so that there can be justice for the innocent men, women and children, who’ve been subjected to mass murder, amputation, enslavement and other atrocities,” he said.

“Accountability is a key pillar of the United States atrocity prevention initiative.”

The United Nations says about 450,000 people have been displaced by LRA attacks in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Central African Republic, Uganda and South Sudan.

ADVERTISEMENT

Although the number of LRA attacks was down last year, there were some assaults as far west as Bangassou in Central African Republic, where scores of men, women and children were abducted in September.

US President Barack Obama last year renewed a mission by 100 US special forces, first launched in 2011, to help Ugandan troops scour the African jungles for Kony, but it has had no success so far.

Turning to the Democratic Republic of Congo, Rapp said the country has been “plagued by conflict, displacement and insecurity.”

ADVERTISEMENT

“Innocent civilians have suffered continued atrocities at the hands of armed groups such as the FDLR and M23, that support themselves by pillage of the population and exploitation of precious minerals.”

Kerry said Mudacumura “has committed and ordered brutal attacks on civilians as the military commander” of the FDLR.

The FDLR is made up of remnants of the radical Hutu regime that carried out the 1994 Rwandan genocide, while M23 is a mainly Congolese Tutsi rebel group UN experts say is backed by Rwanda and Uganda, charges denied by both countries.

The rewards program had “proven to be a valuable tool” in hunting down those wanted for “the worst crimes known to human kind by generating valuable tips,” Rapp said.

ADVERTISEMENT

In the past two years, the program has made 14 payments of an average of $400,000 per person “with the largest payment being $2 million,” he said.

But Kerry stressed “this is not a dead-or-alive bounty program.”

“Information must lead to the secure arrest, transfer, or conviction of these people in a court of law. We want these men to look into the eyes of their victims and answer for their actions.”


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Trump goes after Fox News’ Chris Wallace after Shep Smith departure

Published

on

President Donald Trump appears to be waging his own war against Fox News hosts that report the factual news and not opinions.

Friday, longtime Fox newsman Shep Smith was officially released from his contract, at his request and fellow Fox staffers are warning it's only the beginning. But now, it seems the president is seeing his sights on ridding the network of anyone who doesn't parrot his policies, politics, talking points or dares to fact-check him.

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Robert Reich walks through all the ways Trump is selling America to foreign powers for his own personal profit

Published

on

Notorious class warrior Robert Reich wrote a sharp attack of President Donald Trump for his international policies that are doing nothing more than scoring him personal cash and power.

Writing for The Guardian, Reich called Trump "the most xenophobic and isolationist American president in modern history," saying that the president has been "selling America to foreign powers for his own personal benefit."

While Trump promised during the 2016 election that he would "bring troops home," it was likely assumed that Trump meant the decades-long wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. The work on the ground in Syria was mostly being done by Kurdish allies and not American soldiers. The number of troops on the ground in Syria, prior to Turkey beginning their bombing campaign, was relatively low.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Fox News staff warns of an ‘exodus’ as consequence of Shep Smith resignation

Published

on

Fox Newsman Shep Smith had been working on splitting from Fox News for some time, according to a statement he released Friday. That moment finally came this week when he unexpectedly announced he was leaving the network.

As CNN reported Smith's departure is only the beginning.

"It feels like death in the news division," said one senior Fox employee. The source explained that many staffers were "shocked" at the news, and some were crying. "At least we had him."

Continue Reading
 
 
Help Raw Story Uncover Injustice. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1 and go ad-free.
close-image