By Jane Sutton
MIAMI (Reuters) – Lawyers for four Guantanamo prisoners are asking a U.S. federal judge to block the force-feeding of hunger strikers at the detention camp, arguing that it violates human rights and serves no military purpose.
The lawsuit was filed on Sunday night in Washington and U.S. District Judge Rosemary Collyer gave the government until noon (1600 GMT) on Wednesday to reply.
The U.S. military holds 166 foreign captives at the detention camp on the Guantanamo Bay U.S. Naval Base in Cuba, and a spokesman said 106 had joined a months-long hunger strike to protest the failure to resolve their fate after more than a decade of detention.
Forty-four were being fed at least some of the time through tubes inserted into their nostrils and down into their stomachs, often while strapped down in restraint chairs.
Prisoners have described the process as painful and degrading. Their lawyers say it is “grotesque” and constitutes torture and inhumane treatment, which are banned by international law.
The lawyers asked for an expedited ruling partly because of concerns the prison staff would force-feed the Muslim detainees during Ramadan, the holy month when Muslims fast during daylight hours. It begins on July 8.
U.S. federal judges have previously ruled they had no jurisdiction over the conditions of confinement for Guantanamo prisoners.
A Pentagon spokesman said on Monday he could not discuss pending litigation but that “the department consistently extends every reasonable religious accommodation that falls within the limits of necessary security considerations.”
A spokesman for the detention camp told Reuters two weeks ago that the military planned to follow the practice used during previous Ramadans and conduct the tube-feedings at night so the hunger strikers could fast during the daytime.
The suit was filed on behalf of Algerian captives Ahmed Belbacha and Nabil Hadjarab, Syrian prisoner Abu Wa’el Dhiab and Shaker Aamer, a Saudi prisoner with British residency.
All four are hunger strikers, but Aamer and Dhiab voluntarily drink enough of a liquid nutrition drink to avoid the tube-feeding, their lawyers said.
The four were rounded up during counterterrorism operations but are among the 86 prisoners cleared for release or transfer years ago. President Barack Obama has said repeatedly he wants to shut the Guantanamo detention camp, but has been unable to work out a plan to do it.
“Their detention and their force-feeding has nothing to do with military necessity,” their lawyers said in court documents. “Their detention is solely a function of a political stalemate between the president and the Congress.”
Defense attorney Cori Crider quoted Hadjarab as saying: “I do not want to die, but I am prepared to. … I am doing this because I want to know my destiny, I cannot abide not knowing anymore.”
(Reporting by Jane Sutton; Editing by Peter Cooney)
[Guantanamo protesters via Shutterstock]
He’s trying ‘to get under Trump’s skin’: Reporter Olivia Nuzzi outlines Joe Walsh’s impact on 2020
Republican strategist Shermichael Singleton explained during an MSNBC panel discussion that former Rep. Joe Walsh isn't likely to peel away many voters from Trump as someone who is "Trump-light." New York Magazine reporter Olivia Nuzzi, however, thinks Walsh with have a more significant impact, whether or not he can win the primary race.
During a CNN panel discussion, Nuzzi similarly noted that Walsh's primary purpose could be to troll the president.
Boris Johnson ‘tremendously humiliated’ Donald Trump on a global scale at G-7 meeting: CNN analyst
United Kingdom Prime Minister Boris Johnson was one of President Donald Trump's favorite people to take over for Theresa May when she resigned this summer. But Johnson also mocked the U.S. president and humiliated him on a global scale, said New York Magazine reporter Olivia Nuzzi.
During a panel discussion on CNN Sunday, CNN's Ryan Lizza opened by saying that Johnson is in a tight spot as he's trying to negotiate Brexit while serving as an international leader to the G-7. Johnson also needs to negotiate a trade deal with Trump, but he clearly is going about it in the worst possible way.
Trump allies acquiring ‘dirt’ on journalists to take them down during the 2020 election
President Donald Trump's war against the media has taken a next step. According to The New York Times, Trump's allies have been compiling information on reporters at CNN, The Washington Post and The New York Times to strike back because the president believes they "aggressively investigated" him.
The information was revealed Sunday using information disclosed by associates of conservative Arthur Schwartz, who is spearheading the project. Schwartz is an adviser to Donald Trump Jr. and previously worked with Steve Bannon.