Disney-owned studio said to have altered movie storyline after claims made in Blackfish over deaths at SeaWorld
The Disney-owned animation studio Pixar has taken the rare step of changing the plot of its forthcoming sequel to the 2003 blockbuster Finding Nemo, according to a New York Times report, following claims about a US marine park in the critically acclaimed Sundance documentary Blackfish.
Finding Dory will feature the voice of Ellen DeGeneres, reprising her award-winning role as the friendly but forgetful fish Dory from the first film. The original co-director Andrew Stanton is taking the reins once more, with the movie due in cinemas in 2015.
According to the New York Times, Finding Dory’s screenplay features an ending involving a marine park. It is here that the storyline has been changed following claims made in Blackfish, directed by Gabriela Cowperthwaite, that SeaWorld, which has parks in Orlando, Florida, San Diego, California and San Antonio, Texas, was responsible for the deaths of three people, owing to its policy of keeping killer whales in captivity. It is understood that the new ending for Finding Dory retains the marine park, but makes it clear that the movie’s aquatic heroes are free to leave at any time.
Blackfish, which was released in the US last month, centres on an orca named Tilikum which, it claims, has been involved in three fatalities since being captured in 1983 off the coast of Iceland. These include the death of animal trainer Dawn Brancheau at SeaWorld Orlando in 2010 after she was pulled into a tank and mauled. SeaWorld has denied the accusations and accused Cowperthwaite of producing an “inaccurate” and “misleading” film which “exploits a tragedy that remains a source of deep pain for Dawn Brancheau’s family, friends and colleagues”.
Finding Nemo took more than $800m (£516m) worldwide on its original release and was Pixar’s highest-grossing film prior to Toy Story 3 in 2010.
Disney has made no public comment on the New York Times’s claim about the forthcoming film’s altered plotline.
[Dory from Finding Nemo in the Pixar Play Parade via Flickr user Loren Javier]
AG Bill Barr will ‘try to interfere’ in the 2020 election to re-elect Trump: MSNBC national affairs analyst
Attorney General William Barr will use the Department of Justice to "try to interfere" in the 2020 presidential election to re-elect Donald Trump, MSNBC's national affairs analyst predicted on Tuesday.
John Heilemann was interviewed by Lawrence O'Donnell on MSNBC's "The Last Word."
"The attorney general, from the moment he walked into this job, has behaved in a -- as a ruthless, relentless political hack and a thug and who has behaved not as attorney general of the United States," Heilemann said.
"He made a travesty of the Mueller report and continues to lie on Donald Trump's behalf at every opportunity," he added.
Trump welcomed Russia’s Sergey Lavrov to the White House — to humiliate us all
Despite the fact that President Donald Trump still refuses to have Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky to Washington for an officials meeting — a topic at the center of the scandal driving Trump’s impeachment — the White House hosted Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov on Monday.
And while Lavrov was honored with his second private Oval Office meeting (the first one was a cataclysmic disaster) and a press conference with Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, the foreign minister took his opportunity here to repeatedly humiliate the United States.
United States, Mexico, Canada finalize Donald Trump’s USMCA trade deal
The United States, Mexico and Canada signed a deal Tuesday to finalize their new trade agreement, paving the way to ratification after more than two years of arduous negotiations.
However, the impeachment trial of President Donald Trump in the US Senate would likely delay Congressional ratification of the agreement until next year, said Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell.
In reality, it is the second time the three countries have triumphantly announced the conclusion of the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA), the deal meant to replace the 25-year-old NAFTA, which President Donald Trump complains has been "a disaster" for the US.