60 Minutes’ Lara Logan offers correction on Benghazi story; ‘We made a mistake’
CBS 60 Minutes issued a correction and an apology Sunday night for a report that aired last month about the attack on the Benghazi compound in 2012, in which the producers included interview material from a source that has had his credibility come under significant challenge.
CBS correspondent Lara Logan said of Dylan Davies, the British contractor at the heart of the controversial story, that 60 Minutes learned Thursday from the FBI that the account Davies told federal investigators was different from what he told news producers. “We realized we had been misled, and it was a mistake to include him in our report,” she said. “For that, we are very sorry.”
While accusing his detractors of conducting a smear campaign, Davies nonetheless admitted to the Washington Post last weekend to lying to a superior about what he had been doing on Sept. 11, 2012, the night of the Benghazi attack.
In an incident report immediately following the attack, Davies said he had been at his beachside villa during much of the calamity. But in his memoir and on 60 Minutes, Davies claimed that he had raced to the Benghazi compound during the attack, climbed a 12-foot wall and engaged in hand-to-hand combat with an attacker. Davies claims he told the truth to 60 Minutes and in his new memoir.
But the discrepancy between the two versions appears to have created enough questions about Davies’ credibility to prompt the brief correction.
Watch the correction, below.