Bangladesh’s Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina insisted Monday her walkover win in an election boycotted by the opposition was legitimate and blamed her rivals for the unprecedented bloodshed on polling day.
In defiant comments the day after her re-election, Hasina accused the main opposition Bangladesh Nationalist Party of making a mistake by shunning the vote and made clear she was not in the mood to offer any olive branches to BNP leader Khaleda Zia, her arch-enemy.
Hasina’s ruling Awami League cruised to victory in Sunday’s election after the BNP and 20 other opposition parties refused to take part over fears the contest would be rigged.
But although the landslide should allow Hasina to rule for another five years, the opposition says her victory lacks any credibility. It has called for new polls organised by a caretaker government to be held as soon as possible.
Washington expressed disappointment at the election and also urged a new vote that would “credibly express the will” of the people.
“With more than half of the seats uncontested and most of the remainder offering only token opposition, the results of the just-concluded elections do not appear to credibly express the will of the Bangladeshi people,” State Department deputy spokeswoman Marie Harf said.
UN leader Ban Ki-moon criticised both the main parties and called for them “to resume meaningful dialogue and to urgently address the expectations of the people of Bangladesh for an inclusive political process”.
Speaking to foreign journalists at her official residence in Dhaka, Hasina earlier Monday said the opposition boycott of the polls should “not mean there will be a question of legitimacy”.
“People participated in the poll and other parties participated,” she added in reference to a handful of Awami League allies who did stand.
The BNP blames the government for the crisis after it refused demands for the election to be organised by a neutral caretaker administration as in previous years.
The prime minister said she had offered Zia — who has been under de facto house arrest for over a week — the chance to join an interim cross-party government before the vote.
“I offered to share power with our opposition, I have done as much as I can do but they didn’t respond,” she said.
“Now if they realise that they made a mistake in not participating in the election, perhaps then they may come forward to discuss with us or make an offer,” she added.
“If they come forward to discuss with us, they have to leave all these terrorist activities behind because what they are doing, it is absolutely killing people, killing police, killing innocent people.”
Most violent polls
Sunday’s vote was the most violent in Bangladesh’s history, with police saying at least 26 were killed while nearly 600 polling stations were attacked by opposition supporters.
While there has been no official word on the nationwide turnout, election officials said less than one in four people had voted in the capital Dhaka.
The credibility of the poll had been undermined even before polling day when 153 Awami League members or allies were declared elected unopposed to the 300-seat parliament.
The Daily Star said the Awami League had won “a hollow victory which gives it neither a mandate nor an ethical standing to govern effectively”, while the New Age daily said Hasina was leading the country towards disaster.
“What do you want? I should start crying: ‘Oh we have crisis, we have crisis?’ I am leading the country,” Hasina, who first came to power in 1996 and then thrashed Zia in a 2008 comeback, said of her critics.
Zia has been under de facto house arrest after calling a series of protests in recent weeks designed to derail the election.
Although Bangladesh has been rocked by political violence throughout its short history, the leading rights monitor Ain O Salish Kendra said it was by far the deadliest election day and campaign period.
BNP vice president Shamsher Chowdhury said the low turnout showed the overwhelming desire for elections to be overseen by a neutral administration.
“This government must declare this election null and void and we need a new election organised by a non-party government,” he told AFP. “The government should not waste any more time.”
Any agreement on a new vote carries huge risks for Hasina, with an eve-of-election poll showing she would have lost in a straight contest with the BNP.
Analysts expect the standoff will fan the flames after the deadliest year of unrest since Bangladesh broke free from Pakistan in 1971.
The former East Pakistan is the world’s eighth most populous nation but also one of the poorest. The turmoil will undermine efforts to improve the lot of its population of 154 million — a third of whom live below the poverty line.
[Image via Agence France-Presse]
Michael Moore predicts Mick Mulvaney will get into Heaven after confessing Trump’s quid pro quo
Academy Award-winning filmmaker Michael Moore predicted acting White House Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney will ascend to Heaven in the afterlife during a Friday interview on MSNBC's "The Beat" with Ari Melber.
The host played a clip of Mulvaney admitting Trump's quid pro quo while seeking foreign election assistance from Ukraine.
"This man obviously is going to be admitted into Heaven," Moore said. "You know, he told the truth."
"If there was a movie version of this, somebody stuck him with a needle just before he walked out onto the stage there, a truth serum needle, and he just went on and on saying, 'Yeah, that’s what we do. Yeah, of course.' Essentially admitting there is a quid pro quo. In fact, there are many quid pro quos."
Trump campaign has 12-person ‘War Room’ toiling to fight the impeachment inquiry: report
While the White House has bragged about refusing to start a "war room" to deal with the impeachment inquiry into President Donald Trump's administration, his campaign is footing the bill for a 12-person operation, the LA Times reported Friday.
“Some of you have criticized us for not having a war room — OK? — which we don’t by the way,” acting Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney told reporters.
“You don’t have a war room when you haven’t done anything wrong," he added.
By that logic, Trump's 2020 re-election campaign may fear the president did something wrong.
‘I don’t think he knows what he’s doing’: Ex-Trump advisor rips the ‘cascading crisis’ of his ‘strategic disaster’
President Donald Trump received harsh criticism from a former top Middle East advisor for the ethnic cleansing campaign Turkey is waging against the Kurds in Syria.
MSNBC's Chuck Todd interviewed Brett McGurk, the former special presidential envoy for the Global Coalition to Counter ISIL.
"The truth of the matter is when President Trump announced to the world last December that we were leaving Syria and he arbitrarily cut our force reportedly in half, which is already a small force, we lost all of our leverage and influence," McGurk argued. "And he really threw it out the window on this call on October 6th."