By Dan Whitcomb
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – A woman abducted from her suburban Southern California home when she was 15 has been found alive after a decade-long ordeal of physical and sexual abuse, and her accused kidnapper has been arrested, police said on Wednesday.
Now 25, the woman told detectives she was kidnapped in August 2004 by a man who lived with the family at the time and held captive by him ever since, the Santa Ana Police Department said in a statement. She was not named by authorities.
Over the years, she was sexually assaulted by her abductor and gave birth to his child in 2012, police said. The woman contacted authorities on Tuesday after first reaching out to her sister on Facebook, police said.
Isidro Garcia, 41, was taken into custody on Tuesday on suspicion of kidnapping, rape, lewd acts with a minor and false imprisonment, according to the police statement.
The woman’s escape comes a year after three Ohio women famously escaped from a home in suburban Cleveland, telling authorities that they had been held captive there for years and abused by their captor, Ariel Castro.
Castro pleaded guilty to 937 counts including aggravated murder for forcing one of the women, whom he had impregnated, to miscarry. He was found hanged in his cell a month into a life sentence in a death later ruled a suicide.
In the California case, the young woman’s mother reported her missing, along with Garcia, shortly after he fled the home with her daughter. Their whereabouts remained unknown for the next 10 years.
The woman told authorities that Garcia, who lived with her family, began sexually abusing her in June of 2004 and took her from the home in August of that year after assaulting her mother, police said.
Police said she told them that, on the night of her abduction, Garcia drugged her and locked her overnight in a garage in Compton, about 20 miles away.
He moved with the teenager several times during the following months and years, police said, telling her that family members had stopped looking for her and would be deported if she tried to contact them.
Garcia frequently assaulted the woman physically and sexually over the next 10 years, forcing her into marriage in 2007 and later impregnating her, she told police.
Police said Garcia arranged for both of them to work at a nighttime cleaning service so he could keep watch over her and that she saw no way to escape.
(Reporting by Dan Whitcomb; Editing by Cynthia Johnston, Gunna Dickson and Steve Orlofsky)
Watch a report on the arrest of Garcia, as aired by KABC-TV on Wednesday, below.
Chinese diplomats unleashed to pummel the reeling Trump administration: report
According to a report from Politico, Chinese diplomats have been unleashed, as well as urged, to attack Donald Trump's administration and the U.S. in general via social media like Twitter -- turning the president's favorite social media platform back on him.
"The tactic comes as China’s Foreign Minister Wang Yi has reportedly urged his diplomats to adopt a 'fighting spirit,' which has led to Chinese diplomat Lijian Zhao to describe "America as 'unjust, 'inhumane' and 'hypocritical.' He’s gone so far as to slam neighborhood segregation in Washington, D.C., and assert that 'racial discrimination, gun violence, violent law enforcement are chronic diseases deeply rooted in U.S. society," Politico reports.
Ted Cruz snaps at NBC’s Chuck Todd for ‘dragging up all that garbage’ Trump threw at him in 2016 campaign
A "Meet the Press" interview with Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) went sideways on Sunday when host Chuck Todd reminded the Trump defender of all the smears the president launched against him when they were both vying for the 2016 GOP presidential nomination.
With Cruz attempting to defend Donald Trump's honor with regard to his Ukraine scandal, the incredulous Todd brought up Trump attacking Cruz's wife, accusing him of an extramarital affair and saying he may not have been born in the U.S. during the 2016 campaign.
“I appreciate you dragging up all that garbage, that’s very kind of you,” Cruz shot back.
‘Not true’: Manic GOPer Mark Meadows shut down by CNN’s Bash for repeating lie about Ukraine
A fifteen-minute CNN interview with Rep. Mark Meadows (R-NC) wound down to an abrupt end on Sunday morning as the "State of the Union" host Dana Bash cut off the Trump defender's insistence there was no quid pro quo offer from the president to Ukraine's leadership, with the CNN host telling the GOP lawmaker, "That's not true. I don't want to debate about it."
In an interview where Meadows continued to rage about former Vice President Joe Biden's son Hunter, Bash finally brought up Trump's phone call to Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelensky that led to the impeachment inquiry.
Discussing the call where Trump asked for a favor, Meadows pushed back after she said Trump, "Allegedly held up aid and he said it in this phone call."