A US defence contractor said Sunday that two of its American employees came under fire in the latest attack against Westerners in Saudi Arabia.
It was the second time in recent months that staff of the contractor Vinnell Arabia have been targeted.
“We can confirm that two Vinnell Arabia employees were involved in an incident on Friday, in which they were shot at by assailants in the al-Ahsa province of Saudi Arabia,” the company said in a statement issued through a public relations firm.
“Both employees were injured but are in stable condition at a local hospital,” it added.
Saudi police said earlier that one American had been wounded in a shooting in the eastern region which is the source of most of the kingdom’s oil wealth.
Vinnell Arabia provides training for the Saudi National Guard, a parallel army.
A source close to the incident told AFP that several rounds were fired at the Vinnell vehicle from a white car.
The Vinnell driver was hit several times, the source said, adding he was not aware of injuries to the second employee who was able to drive his wounded colleague to hospital.
The incident occurred just east of a National Guard base near Hofuf city.
On Friday, a resident of al-Ahsa told AFP that police had blocked off the area around a National Guard facility.
Asked about a possible motive for the shooting, interior ministry spokesman General Mansour al-Turki said: “We’re still waiting for the results of the investigation.”
The attack is the fourth against Westerners in the kingdom since October. It comes as Saudi Arabia participates in United States-led air strikes against the Islamic State jihadist group in Syria, raising concerns about possible retaliation.
In October, one Vinnell employee was shot dead and another wounded at a petrol garage in the capital Riyadh.
The interior ministry identified the suspected shooter as a US-born Saudi who had been fired from Vinnell Arabia.
“It was not a terrorist-related incident,” Turki said.
Vinnell’s Facebook page says it is “dedicated to providing the best in military training, logistics and support” to the Saudi National Guard, using expertise from former US military and government personnel.
The Guard has around 200,000 men whose duties include combating “terrorism”.
It has infantry, mechanised and special forces wings, and is reportedly to acquire Black Hawk and Apache helicopters from the US this year.
Formed from tribes traditionally loyal to the ruling al-Saud dynasty, it operates in parallel, and as a palace-directed counterbalance, to the regular armed forces.
– Dane shot –
The October shooting was the first deadly attack on Westerners in Saudi Arabia since several were killed in a wave of Al-Qaeda violence between 2003 and 2007.
Among the targets at that time was a compound housing Vinnell staff.
The latest attack on Vinnell recalls the wounding of a Dane in November. He was driving away from his workplace when he was fired on from another car.
Last month, security officers arrested three Saudis on suspicion of involvement in that attack, saying the suspects acted “in support of” the Islamic State group.
A week after the Dane’s shooting, someone stabbed and wounded a Canadian at a mall on Saudi Arabia’s Gulf coast.
Police arrested a Saudi suspect but Turki said the incident was not “terrorist”-related.
Saudi Arabia blamed IS-linked suspects for the November killing of seven members of the minority Shiite community in Eastern Province.
IS has seized swathes of Iraq and Syria, where it has been accused of widespread atrocities.
Late on Saturday, the group claimed in a video that it had beheaded 47-year-old journalist Kenji Goto, the second Japanese hostage it had killed in a week.
The Pentagon announced in January that nearly 1,000 American troops will soon be sent to Saudi Arabia, Turkey and Qatar to train moderate Syrian rebel forces as part of a long-planned effort to take on IS.
US officials have declined to give a breakdown of exactly how many trainers and support troops will go to each country.
Trump’s campaign manager mocked for proudly sharing poll that suggests Dems will keep the House in 2020
On Thursday, President Donald Trump's campaign manager Brad Parscale posted a poll that was meant to warn Democrats off of their impeachment efforts, by showing how it was hurting their prospects in a competitive House race.
Specifically, the "confidential" poll showed freshman Rep. Kendra Horn (R-OK) down seven points against a generic Republican, and impeachment opposed 52 percent to 45 percent:
Nancy Pelosi is marching members of her caucus off the plank and into the abyss.
Impeachment is killing her freshman members and polling proves it.
Two House Democrats push a clever plan that calls Republicans’ bluff on their Biden attacks
Democratic Reps. Katie Porter of California and Max Rose of New York introduced a clever plan this week that will expose whether Republicans’ criticisms of former Vice President Joe Biden in the Ukraine scandal reflect good faith — or if, as many assume, they are just a shameful distraction and a bluff.
The lawmakers announced a bill on Wednesday called the Transparency in Executive Branch Officials’ Finances Act. It has two key components:First, it would require all politically appointed executive branch officials, as well as the president and the vice president, to “disclose any positions they or any members of their extended families hold with foreign-owned businesses, any intellectual property they own that is protected or enforced by a foreign country, and whether any members of their families have stakes in companies that engage in significant foreign business dealings.”Second, it will “require the President and Vice President to disclose their tax returns for the previous five taxable years and prohibit political appointees from accepting payments from foreign entities.”
What’s clever about the proposal is that it latches on to two important issues, creating a wedge for Republicans. As part of the GOP’s defense of President Donald Trump in the Ukraine scandal, Republicans have argued that the president’s patently corrupt efforts to get a foreign country to investigate Biden, a political rival, were legitimate because the former vice president’s son created a conflict of interest by taking part in business in Ukraine.
Giuliani’s potential witness tampering in Ukraine is impossible to separate from Trump: Judiciary Democrat
On Thursday's edition of MSNBC's "The Beat," Rep. Eric Swalwell (D-CA) broke down how Rudy Giuliani's misconduct in Ukraine is "inseparable" from President Donald Trump's.
"To everyone who asks whether we are moving too quickly, I say the president's lawyer is moving quickly to continue to ask a foreign government to cheat our elections, and doing nothing is completely off the table," said Swalwell, who sits on the House Intelligence and Judiciary Committees, the two most crucial committees in the impeachment inquiry. "We have to secure our elections. We have powerful, uncontradicted evidence now. And now is the time to hold the president accountable and determine just which impeachment articles we should proceed with."