Quantcast
Connect with us

Robert Kennedy assassin Sirhan Sirhan faces parole board for the 15th time

Published

on

Sirhan Sirhan, the assassin of Democratic presidential candidate Robert Kennedy in 1968, faces a California parole board for the 15th time on Wednesday.

Sirhan, 71, will have a suitability hearing at Richard J. Donovan Correctional Facility near San Diego, the California Board of Parole Hearings said on its website.

The Palestinian-born Sirhan is serving a life sentence for gunning down Kennedy at the Ambassador Hotel in Los Angeles, shortly after he won the California Democratic presidential primary. Kennedy died the next day.

ADVERTISEMENT

Sirhan was sentenced to death in 1969. His sentence was commuted to life in prison after California banned the death penalty.

He has said that he had no recollection of the killing and also that he had fired at Kennedy because he was enraged by his support for Israel.

Sirhan was last denied parole in 2011 and is being housed in a state prison in San Diego.

Sirhan’s lawyers failed last year to persuade a U.S. District judge to free him because he was innocent.

Defense lawyers had argued that Sirhan had not been physically in position to fire the fatal shot, and that a second shooter and gun may have been responsible.

ADVERTISEMENT

Kennedy was a U.S. senator from New York when he died at age 42. His older brother, President John F. Kennedy, was assassinated in 1963.

(Reporting by Ian Simpson; Editing by Meredith Mazzilli)


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Aides scramble to satisfy Trump’s need for adulation from big crowds during a pandemic: report

Published

on

In the wake of President Trump's less-than-stellar campaign rally in Tulsa, Oklahoma, campaign aides scrambled to reschedule another one in order to redeem themselves, setting their sights in the state of New Hampshire for their next event.

But the event was abruptly called off, thanks to an incoming tropical storm that never materialized. But according to inside sources speaking to POLITICO, the cancelation was more due to concerns about attendance -- a concern that underscores a challenge for the Trump campaign: how to satiate Trump's need for big crowds in the midst of a pandemic.

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

‘Complete and utter moron’: Anti-mask Republican derided after he ‘dismantles himself’ amid grilling from CNN host

Published

on

Florida State Rep. Anthony Sabatini (R) is facing a backlash online after appearing Wednesday on CNN to argue against mask mandates, which are intended to slow the spread of COVID-19.

Sabatini told CNN host Brianna Keilar that mask mandates were a violation of Florida's constitution. "This is something government has never done before. We've never had government telling people what you have to do with your own face," he said.

Continue Reading
 

COVID-19

Governor who repeatedly refused masks and social distancing is ‘pretty shocked’ he’s been infected with coronavirus

Published

on

Oklahoma's Governor Kevin Stitt who became internet infamous when he posted a photo of himself and his family having a great time in a crowded restaurant amid the start of the coronavirus pandemic has contracted the virus and says he "pretty shocked" he's positive.

"I feel fine," Stitt said, Tulsa World reports, noting the 47-year old Republican is "just a little achy." "I was pretty shocked that I was the first governor to get it."

Continue Reading
 
 
You need honest news coverage. Help us deliver it. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free.
close-image