Right Wing News ranks what’s important in a female pundit: Hotness
Has physical attractiveness become the sole criterion by which female conservative news pundits are judged? Maybe not (yet), but a new “top” list from a conservative news site certainly won’t help dispel that impression.
Those of you who’ve noticed a certain tendency at Fox News to hire attractive, blonde news anchors probably won’t be surprised to discover that the same criterion exists for conservative personalities online as well.
The news Web site Right Wing News has published its list of “The 20 Hottest Conservative Women in the New Media,” naming among them noted right-wing pundit Michelle Malkin (19th place), Ann Coulter (13th place), and Hannah Giles, of “ACORN pimp” video fame (fifth place).
Among the judges were Jonah Goldberg of the National Review and Glenn Reynolds of Instanpundit. Here’s the complete list:
20) Elizabeth Blackney from Media Lizzy & Friends
20) Skye from Midnight Blue Says
19) Michelle Malkin
17) Courtney Messerschmidt from GrEaT sAtAnÃ¢â‚¬ÂS gIrLfRiEnD
17) Kerrie from The Liberal Heretics
15) Michelle Oddis from Human Events
15) Shelly Roche from ByteStyle.Tv
13) Lori Ziganto from Snark and Boobs
13) Ann Coulter
12) S.E. Cupp from Red S.E. Cupp
11) Liz Stephans from The B-Cast
10) Sharon from The Liberal Heretics
7) Tabitha Hale
7) Freeman Hunt
7) Laura Ingraham
6) Columnist Orit Sklar
5) Hannah Giles
4) Mary Katharine Ham from the The Weekly Standard
3) Ashley Herzog from Herzogian
2) Lila Rose
1) Dana Loesch from The Dana Show
Right Wing News’ list is a squel to last June’s “15 Hottest Conservative Women in the New Media.” Tommy Christopher at Mediaite jokes that these sorts of lists “must be a seasonal thing.”
Christopher complains Right Wing News’ list “consists of just that, a list and a photograph. No biographical info, no descriptions of their accomplishments, or critiques of their work. Just a picture and a link. ThereÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s nothing there that would make anyone want to read anything these women write….”
Adds Christopher: “In the modern media landscape, sex appeal is certainly a relevant factor to consider. What Right Wing NewsÃ¢â‚¬â„¢ 20 Hottest Conservative Women In The New Media misses out on is that itÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s not the only factor.”
Or maybe it is.