LOS ANGELES — Fast food giant McDonald’s said Wednesday it was “extremely disappointed” at a ruling by San Francisco authorities banning high-calorie Happy Meals, which entice children to eat with free toys.
The response came after the Californian city’s board of supervisors voted to forbid restaurants from giving gifts with meals that contain too much fat and sugar.
“We are extremely disappointed with this decision. It?s not what our customers want, nor is it something they asked for,” said McDonald’s spokeswoman Danya Proud.
Happy Meals, which typically come in a colorful cardboard box packed with a burger, a drink, fries and desert, are popular with hard-pressed parents as well as children, she said.
“Public opinion continues to be overwhelmingly against this misguided legislation. Parents tell us it’s their right and responsibility, not the government’s, to … to choose what?s right for their children.”
And she added: “We are extremely proud of our Happy Meals which give our youngest guests wholesome food and toys of the highest quality. Getting a toy with a kid’s meal is just one part of a fun, family experience at McDonald’s.”
Under the ban agreed in a preliminary vote Tuesday, restaurants in San Francisco would have to provide fruit and vegetables with meals accompanied by free toys, according to the San Francisco Chronicle.
“This is a tremendous victory for our children’s health,” said the state education board’s Eric Mar, chief sponsor of the legislation.
The measure will go to a full vote next week and if approved would not come into force before December 2011.
Scott Rodrick, who owns 10 McDonald’s franchises in the city, was quoted by the paper as saying: “Somehow the San Francisco Board of Supervisors just took the happy out of Happy Meals.”
“It would be an understatement to say how disappointed I am with this legislation,” he added.
Texas Republicans are abandoning the state’s GOP Speaker: ‘We no longer support him’
Some of the most powerful Texas House Republicans said Monday they no longer support GOP Speaker Dennis Bonnen, marking the biggest blow yet to his political future amid the fallout from a secret recording released last week by a hardline conservative activist.
Five Republicans considered senior members of the lower chamber issued a statement withdrawing support for him: State Reps. Four Price of Amarillo, Dan Huberty of Houston, Lyle Larson of San Antonio, Chris Paddie of Marshall and John Frullo of Lubbock.
Donald Trump is making a mockery of Marco Rubio — and the Florida senator is letting him
Sen. Marco Rubio was once one of Donald Trump’s most formidable opponents; now, the Florida senator bends over backward to excuse the president’s corruption.
In 2016, Rubio and Trump sparred frequently on the Republican primary debate stage. Trump picked the uninspired nickname “Little Marco” for the senator, which didn’t seem to do much damage on its own, but Rubio never gained the momentum or strength that his backers hoped would prove to be strong enough to take down the reality TV candidate. As Rubio grew desperate, he launched one of his most memorable and pitiful attacks by stooping to his opponent’s level, implying that Trump had a small penis. It was more of an embarrassing moment for Rubio than anyone else, though Trump helped himself with a crude rejoinder.
The faith of Fox News: How the network’s propaganda warps viewers’ sense of reality
A longtime sticking point among Fox News employees is their insistent differentiation between its news division, where employees practice actual journalism, and its opinion division, where employees practice actual nativism, spew misinformation, and have been actively campaigning for Donald Trump’s re-election since 2016. Inside the organization, they claim to believe that the news side is separate from the opinion side, and insist that the audience can tell the difference.
News anchor Shepard Smith once characterized comparing the two as “apples and teaspoons.”