TEHRAN – Iran will put on public display two US Navy drones shot down by its elite Revolutionary Guards, a top Iranian commander said on Saturday.
“The planes that were shot down are among the most modern US navy drones and have a long-range capability,” Ali Fadavi, commander of Guards’ naval forces, was quoted as saying by Fars news agency.
On January 2, the head of Guards air force said the elite unit had downed two “Western spy” drones. He had not said when the two drones were actually shot down.
“These aircraft are in our possession and at an appropriate time they will be displayed” to the public, Fadavi said, rejecting Western media reports that quoted Washington officials denying the drones were shot down by Iranian forces.
“It is natural that they don’t accept or reject such matters. What is certain is that the Revolutionary Guards did this,” Fadavi added.
The US navy’s Fifth Fleet is based in Bahrain, just across the Persian Gulf from Iran.
Iranian commanders have repeatedly threatened to block navigation through the strategic Strait of Hormuz, which links the Gulf to the Indian Ocean, if the Islamic republic comes under attack.
Forty percent of the world’s oil supplies pass through the strait.
The US military and Central Intelligence Agency regularly use drones to launch missile strikes in Afghanistan and in Pakistan’s lawless tribal belt, but do not generally confirm attacks.
Iran’s Revolutionary Guard Corps, target of a series of US sanctions, was set up as a force to defend the 1979 Islamic revolution from internal and external threats.
Washington imposed fresh sanctions against the Guards last month in a bid to ramp up pressure on Tehran over a controversial nuclear program that Iran says is entirely peaceful, but which world powers suspect is aimed at building an atomic bomb.
GOP’s Jim Jordan gets shut down after raging at Trump appointee who called for Kellyanne Conway’s firing
Rep. Jim Jordan (R-OH) on Wednesday got absolutely shut down by Rep. Elijah Cummings (D-MD) after he interrupted the testimony of Henry Kerner, whom President Donald Trump appointed to lead the Office of Special Counsel.
During his opening statement ahead of Kerner's testimony, Jordan bitterly complained about the way conservatives are purportedly "censored" on social media and he said Kerner's recommendation that Trump White House counselor Kellyanne Conway be removed from office for repeated Hatch Act violations was an effort to "silence" an effective surrogate for President Donald Trump.
Trump lashes out at US women’s soccer player for refusing to visit the White House
President Donald Trump lashed out at a U.S. women's national soccer team who has publicly criticized him.
Team co-captain Megan Rapinoe, who joined former NFL player Colin Kaepernick's kneeling protest during the National Anthem, strongly denied that she would accept the president's invitation to visit the White House if her squad wins the Women’s World Cup now underway.
“I’m not going to the f*cking White House,” Rapinoe told Eight by Eight Magazine, saying she doubted Trump would risk inviting them. “We’re not gonna be invited. I doubt it.”
Trump has canceled visits by other championship teams, such as this year’s Philadelphia Eagles, after most of the players vowed to decline the invitation.
Damning new details emerge on letter Trump drafted that explicitly linked Comey’s firing to Russia probe
The latest report from journalist Murray Waas in the New York Review of Books offers damning new details about a letter that President Donald Trump drafted that explicitly linked the firing of former FBI Director James Comey to the investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election.
Waas, who claims that he has personally examined the draft, reports that the original draft of Trump's letter justifying Comey's dismissal made it plain that he was displeased with the FBI for investigating whether the Trump campaign helped Russia interfere in the election.