Quantcast
Connect with us

Libya’s Kadhafi under siege as cities overrun

Published

on

TRIPOLI – Protesters on Monday overran several Libyan cities and Tripoli was rocked by violence some residents said was a “massacre,” as the pillars of Moamer Kadhafi’s hardline four-decade rule began to crumble.

A suggestion in Brussels by British Foreign Secretary William Hague that Kadhafi may have left the country for Venezuela was swiftly denied by Caracas, home to the embattled Libyan leader’s firebrand ally President Hugo Chavez.

ADVERTISEMENT

Tripoli also denied it, with Deputy Foreign Minister Khaled Kayem telling state television: “The leader is in Libya, as are all the government officials.”

The uprising spread to the capital itself, with gunfire rattling Tripoli, where protesters attacked police stations and the offices of the state broadcaster, Kadhafi’s mouthpiece, and set government buildings ablaze.

Residents of two districts in Tripoli told AFP in Cairo by telephone there had been “a massacre.”

“What happened today in Tajura was a massacre,” one said. “Armed men were firing indiscriminately. There are even women among the dead.”

Another witness in Fashlum said helicopters had landed what he called African mercenaries who opened fire on anyone in the street, causing a large number of deaths.

ADVERTISEMENT

Two Libyan fighter pilots — both colonels — flew their single-seater Mirage F1 jets to Malta and said they had defected after being ordered to attack protesters in Benghazi, Maltese military and official sources told AFP.

Malta is the closest European state to Libya, just 340 kilometres (211 miles) north of its coastline.

Italy put all military air bases on maximum alert after the fighters landed, ANSA news agency reported, and Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi said he was “alarmed” by clashes in the former Italian colony.

ADVERTISEMENT

NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen called on Tripoli to stop the deadly crackdown, saying in a statement: “I am shocked by the indiscriminate use of violence against peaceful protesters in Libya.”

Several Libyan diplomats at the United Nations joined calls for Kadhafi to quit, US media reported, with deputy ambassador Ibrahim Dabbashi telling CNN Kadhafi has “declared war” on the Libyan people and is committing “genocide.”

ADVERTISEMENT

In an interview with BBC World, Dabbashi added: “I think it is the end of Colonel Kadhafi, it is a matter of days, whether he steps down or the Libyan people will get rid of him anyway.

Benghazi, Libya’s second city and an opposition stronghold in the east, fell to anti-regime demonstrators after military units deserted, the Paris-based International Federation for Human Rights (IFHR) reported earlier.

UN chief Ban Ki-moon told Kadhafi in a phone call that the violence “must stop immediately” and called for a broad-based dialogue, a UN spokesman said.

ADVERTISEMENT

French President Nicolas Sarkozy also condemned the “unacceptable use of force” and called for an “immediate halt” to the violence.

British Prime Minister David Cameron, on a surprise visit to Libya’s eastern neighbour Egypt, where long-time president Hosni Mubarak was swept out on February 11 by a tide of people power, also slammed the violence.

“The violence, the brutality, that has got to stop, that is completely unacceptable,” he told Britain’s ITV news.

The 27-nation European Union urged all sides to show restraint.

ADVERTISEMENT

Britain’s Hague said earlier Kadhafi may be en route to Venezuela, citing “information that suggests he is on his way,” but a Venezuelan official who asked not to be identified retorted: “It’s not true.”

US President Barack Obama was “considering all appropriate actions” as Washington ordered all non-essential staff out of Libya and warned Americans to avoid travel to the north African country.

Libyan state television said security forces were battling “dens of terrorists” in a sweep that has killed a number of people, without specifying where or who was being targeted.

State television reported that Kadhafi’s son, Seif al-Islam, had set up a commission to probe “the sad events,” and that it would include “members of Libyan and foreign rights organisations.”

ADVERTISEMENT

He had already appeared on television early Monday to warn of looming civil conflict.

“Libya is at a crossroads. If we do not agree today on reforms… rivers of blood will run through Libya,” he said.

“We will take up arms… we will fight to the last bullet. We will destroy seditious elements. If everybody is armed, it is civil war, we will kill each other… Libya is not Egypt, it is not Tunisia.”

IFHR head Souhayr Belhassen said protesters controlled Benghazi, Sirte, Tobruk in the east, as well as Misrata, Khoms, Tarhounah, Zenten, Al-Zawiya and Zouara, closer to the capital.

The IFHR said that besides soldiers and diplomats, other senior regime officials had also defected, demanding that Kadhafi step down after more than 41 years in power.

ADVERTISEMENT

It said the protests had resulted in up to 400 deaths. Human Rights Watch earlier cited a death toll of 233.

Heavy gunfire erupted in central Tripoli and other city areas for the first time since the uprising began in eastern Libya, witnesses and an AFP journalist reported.

“It’s definitely the end of the regime. This has never happened in Libya before. We are praying that it ends quickly,” one resident of east Tripoli told AFP in Cairo by telephone.

Libya’s justice minister, Mustapha Abdeljalil, resigned in objection to “the excessive use of force” against demonstrators, the Quryna newspaper website reported.

ADVERTISEMENT

In Cairo, Libya’s Arab League envoy said he too had stepped down to “join the revolution.” Tripoli’s ambassador to Delhi also quit, as did a diplomat in Beijing, Al-Jazeera television reported.

Oil prices soared above $105 per barrel on the turmoil, and the Fitch agency downgraded Libya’s debt rating a notch from BBB+ to BBB.

British and French energy giants BP and Total were also evacuating some staff from Libya, which holds Africa’s biggest oil reserves, as other European governments and firms also scrambled to evacuate their citizens.


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

WATCH: AOC dunks on GOP for ‘beclowning themselves’ during Trump’s impeachment

Published

on

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) blasted her Republican colleagues on national TV on Friday.

Ocasio-Cortez, also known as AOC, is the youngest woman ever elected to the House of Representatives. She was interviewed on MSNBC's "All In" by anchor Chris Hayes.

"Midway through today's impeachment inquiry, the president was accused of witness tampering," Hayes noted. "One of the sharpest rejoinders came from Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez."

The host read her tweet to the live studio audience.

he*

— Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (@AOC) November 15, 2019

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

‘The worst day of the presidency so far for Donald Trump’: Advisor to four presidents

Published

on

President Donald Trump has not had a worse day in office than he suffered on Friday, according to a top former White House advisor.

David Gergen served in the administrations of Richard Nixon, Gerald Ford, Ronald Reagan and Bill Clinton. He was interviewed Friday night by CNN's Anderson Cooper.

"If you are looking to throw somebody under the bus, Gordon Sondland would probably be a prime candidate to be next in line to be thrown under the bus," Cooper said.

"I think the president will wait patiently to see what he says and then decide," Gergen replied.

He then offered his analysis of the situation.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Chris Hayes breaks down the ‘busy day in the criminal chronicles of one President Donald J. Trump’

Published

on

MSNBC anchor Chris Hayes connected the dots between all of the bombshell news that was reported Friday in the impeachment hearings into President Donald Trump.

"Good God, today has been ten days and this week has been ten weeks," Hayes said. "And there are a million things happening at once."

"Just in the past couple of hours, for instance, we just got this incredibly incriminating and damning behind closed doors testimony from a U.S. foreign service officer that was still supposed to be kind of like the B-story today, the sideshow," he explained. "It's a guy who works in the U.S. embassy in Ukraine, a guy named David Holmes. He testified behind closed doors that he could hear president Trump talking on the phone to the U.S. Ambassador to the European Union who was an inaugural donor, and they were in a restaurant in Kiev and the president was shouting so loudly on the phone that [Gordon] Sondland had to hold the phone away from his ear because it was hurting his eardrum, so then everyone could hear."

Continue Reading
 
 
Help Raw Story Uncover Injustice. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1 and go ad-free.
close-image