Quantcast
Connect with us

China province seeks to ease ‘one-child’ policy

Published

on

China’s most populous province has asked for permission to ease the one-child policy after more than 30 years, an official said Tuesday, as concerns grow over gender imbalances and an ageing population.

Guangdong in southern China wants Beijing to allow couples where just one parent is an only child to have a second baby, according to a local government official who declined to be named.

ADVERTISEMENT

China’s one-child policy was introduced in 1979 to curb population growth in the nation of more than 1.3 billion people, but has become increasingly unpopular as the country’s population ages.

Critics blame the policy for creating gender imbalances — sex-specific abortions are common and female infanticide and the abandoning of baby girls have also been reported.

The policy also puts huge pressure on only children to support their parents and two sets of grandparents.

Policy violations usually result in hefty fines and a cut back in social services, although some ethnic minorities and farmers whose first child is a girl are excluded from the restriction.

In some areas couples where both parents are only children are also allowed to have a second baby.

ADVERTISEMENT

Now, Guangdong authorities are seeking permission for some parents who are themselves only children to have more than one child.

“To allow the new policy will have little overall impact on population growth,” Guangdong family planning chief Zhang Feng was quoted by the Southern Metropolis Daily as saying.
“The increase in population is still a big problem affecting our social and economic development. But in the long term, ageing will also be a problem.”

If approved, the Guangdong trial would help alleviate problems caused by the family planning measure in the world’s most populous country, such as an ageing population that is putting pressure on the nation’s economy.

ADVERTISEMENT

The results of the latest nationwide census released in April show 118.06 boys were born in China to every 100 girls over the past 10 years — an imbalance attributed to the Chinese preference for male heirs and viewed as a possible source of instability.

A study last year warned more than 24 million men of marrying age could find themselves without wives in 2020.

ADVERTISEMENT

The 10-yearly census also found that more than 13 percent of the population was over the age of 60, up nearly three percentage points from the 2000 count.

He Yafu, an expert who is in close contact with some of China’s official demographers, told AFP last year that officials planned to launch similar pilot projects in five provinces to evaluate the effects of relaxed rules.

The proposed test provinces were Heilongjiang, Jilin and Liaoning in the northeast, Jiangsu and Zhejiang in the east.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Official demographers say that those five provinces have basically been determined as the first pilot provinces, and over the next five years or so it will spread to the whole of China,” He said.

The census showed Guangdong was the country’s most populous province, with 104 million residents, up from 86 million in 2004.

Much of the population increase in Guangdong, the centre of China’s booming export-oriented industry, is due to rapid rises in its migrant labour work force.

Despite the problems caused by population controls, President Hu Jintao said in April the “one-child” policy would continue, because of the increased strain on resources and government services that the population exerts.

ADVERTISEMENT


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Here is how the 99% can force the 1% to defeat COVID-19

Published

on

By

The government's response to the pandemic has further enriched the wealthy, while everyday people, especially Black and Brown workers, face sickness, death, and destitution. Government handouts to the rich are unsurprising, since they repeat the century-old pattern of "rescue packages", but another pattern is more perplexing: why have business leaders not stepped up to demand a robust public health response, which would ultimately be in their own self-interest? The titans of industry have mostly stood by in the face of Trump's criminal negligence, which has devastated much of the 99% but also endangers the wealthy.

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Trump Organization planning ‘high-end’ retirement community — with 225 properties — on foreign soil: report

Published

on

The Trump Organization is planning a massive real estate development, according to a new report by Martyn McLaughlin in The Scotsman.

"In what would be one of the most ambitious and expensive foreign projects undertaken by Donald Trump’s family business since he assumed the presidency, his company has commissioned a detailed masterplan to develop as many as 225 properties, as well as leisure facilities and shops, on an expanse of rolling farmland adjacent to Turnberry’s lauded Ailsa course, a four-time host of golf’s Open Championship," the Scottish newspaper reported.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

WATCH: Video shows how Trump makes his caddie hang on to the back of the golf cart

Published

on

Despite the ongoing coronavirus pandemic and economic catastrophe, the leader of the free world spent the weekend golfing at his private, for-profit golf course in Virginia.

For the second day in a row, Donald Trump's presidential motorcade traveled to Trump National Golf Club in Sterling, Virginia.

"Today marks the president’s 86th day trip to Sterling," reported HuffPost correspondent S.V. Dáte, who was the White House pool reporter for print covering the day's events.

Continue Reading
 
 
You need honest news coverage. Help us deliver it. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free.
close-image