By Manas Mishra and Dania Nadeem
(Reuters) -The World Health Organization is calling for a moratorium on COVID-19 vaccine boosters until at least the end of September, its head Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said on Wednesday.
The move was to enable that at least 10% of the population of every country was vaccinated, WHO Director-General Tedros said.
The call to stop COVID-19 vaccine boosters is the strongest yet from the UN agency as the gap between inoculation rates in wealthy and poor countries widens.
"I understand the concern of all governments to protect their people from the Delta variant. But we cannot accept countries that have already used most of the global supply of vaccines using even more of it," Tedros added.
High-income countries administered around 50 doses for every 100 people in May, and that number had since doubled, according to WHO. Low-income countries have only been able to administer 1.5 doses for every 100 people, due to lack of supply.
"We need an urgent reversal, from the majority of vaccines going to high-income countries, to the majority going to low-income countries," said Tedros.
Some countries have begun to use or started weighing on the need for booster doses.
Germany said on Monday it will in September start to offer a booster shot to vulnerable people. The United Arab Emirates will also start providing a booster shot to all fully vaccinated people considered at high risk, three months after their second vaccine dose, and six months for others.
Last week, Israeli President Isaac Herzog received a third shot of coronavirus vaccine, kicking off a campaign to give booster doses to people aged over 60 in the country.
The United States in July signed a deal with Pfizer Inc and German partner BioNTech to buy 200 million additional doses of their COVID-19 vaccines to help with pediatric vaccination as well as possible booster shots.
U.S. health regulators are still assessing the need for a booster dose.
(Reporting by Manas Mishra and Dania Nadeem in Bengaluru; Editing by Shounak Dasgupta)
U.S. Rep. Devin Nunes (R-CA) has filed a lawsuit against NBCUniversal Media, alleging acclaimed MSNBC anchor Rachel Maddow defamed him in a March 18, 2021 segment on her show. He claims Maddow's reporting caused him to suffer "insult, pain, embarrassment, humiliation, mental suffering and injury to his reputation."
Bloomberg News reports the lawsuit alleges Maddow defamed Nunes "with on-air suggestions he'd conspired with a Russian agent to rig the 2016 presidential election for Donald Trump."
It specifically cites these comments made by Maddow, according to The Hill:
"Congressman Nunes has refused to answer questions about what he received from Andriy Derkach. He has refused to show the contents of the package to other members of the intelligence community."
"He has refused to hand it over to the FBI which is what you should do if you get something from somebody who is sanctioned by the U.S. as a Russian agent."
Nunes, the House Intelligence Committee Ranking Member and a top Trump defender, is accusing Maddow of targeting "him with defamatory statements that accuse him of obstruction of justice and treason. Nunes said Maddow has also called for him to lose his committee post and be stripped of his security clearances."
Nunes infamously has sued several others, including two Twitter parody accounts that mocked the California Republican: "Devin Nunes' Cow," and "Devin Nunes' Mom."
Congressman Nunes has also sued McClatchy newspapers; activists who tried to force him to stop listing his occupation as "farmer" on the 2018 ballot; journalist Ryan Lizza and Hearst Magazines; the non-profit Campaign for Accountability and opposition research company Fusion GPS; and CNN.
His attorney also threatened to sue California Congressman Ted Lieu, a Democrat. Rep. Lieu's response, below, to Nunes' lawyer, concludes, "I welcome any lawsuit from your client and look forward to taking discovery of Congressman Nunes. Or, you can take your letter and shove it."
On Wednesday, according to NBC4 Washington reporter Scott MacFarlane, the Justice Department warned a federal court that the "sudden windfall" of money alleged Proud Boy member Ethan Nordean is offering to be released on bond from January 6 Capitol insurrection charges is unaccounted for and suspicious.
"The only substantially new development is Defendant Nordean's apparent influx of $980,000 to offer as a secure bond," wrote prosecutors in the filing. "Defendant has not offered the Court any information about the source of these funds, and the sudden windfall raises more questions about Defendant's continuing power and clout than it resolves."
Nordean is scheduled to return to court Sept 21. Court could issue and order on Nordean's request for bond and r… https://t.co/Ya7IZ1ajPt— Scott MacFarlane (@Scott MacFarlane) 1628082170.0
In March, Nordean complained that he was struggling to make ends meet after being arrested for his involvement in the Capitol riot.
The Proud Boys, a self-described "Western Chauvinist" group that is infamous for their violent street brawls, are heavily implicated in the Capitol attack, with members accused of "conspiracy involving terrorism" and charging at Capitol Police officers with makeshift weapons.
Don't Sit on the Sidelines of History. Join Raw Story Investigates and Go Ad-Free. Support Honest Journalism.
$95 / year — Just $7.91/month
I want to Support More
$14.99 per month