Microsoft Corp on Thursday said it proposed a program to U.S. President Donald Trump’s administration allowing people from seven predominantly Muslim nations to enter and leave the United States on business or family emergency travel if they hold valid work or student visas and have not committed any crimes.
In a letter to Secretary of Homeland Security John Kelly and Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, Microsoft President Brad Smith outlined a program for case-by-case review of exceptions to a travel ban instituted last week.
Microsoft is the first major U.S. company to press the government to create a formal program that would ease the ban for foreign-born workers who do not have permanent residence in the United States. Permanent residents, known as green card holders, were granted an exemption on Sunday.
The proposal argued that Kelly and Tillerson have the power to grant exceptions to the travel ban under the order issued last week by Trump.
Technology companies including Microsoft, Google owner Alphabet Inc
Amazon and Expedia Inc
Microsoft’s proposal would cover holders of the H-1B visa, a temporary work visa that the tech sector relies on to recruit foreign talent. Kelly issued an order on Sunday saying that green card holders would be allowed to travel under the executive orders, but H-1B holders from the seven affected countries are still banned.
The proposal would also allow students to travel from affected countries if they can prove they were enrolled and in good standing at a U.S. school. The letter proposed that both students and employees would not be allowed to travel to the banned countries for business reasons but could travel there for family reasons with case-by-case approval.
“In short, these individuals are ‘known quantities’ in their communities: their character, personalities, conduct, and behavior is understood by their colleagues, employers, friends, and neighbors,” Microsoft’s Smith said in a blog post made at the same time the company sent its letter.
Microsoft is also among several technology companies considering signing an open letter to Trump expressing concern about his ban on Syrian refugees, along with other issues such as the estimated 750,000 people brought to the United States as children whose immigration status is unclear.
The letter is being circulated among tech companies and companies outside the sector, according to two sources in the industry familiar with the matter.
Google did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Apple and Facebook could not immediately be reached for comment.
(Reporting by Stephen Nellis in San Francisco, additional reporting by Dustin Volz in Washington; Editing by Peter Henderson and Meredith Mazzilli)
Trump ‘does have a tendency to lash out’: Texas Republican tells president to ‘temper’ his rabid impulses
Republicans are concerned about President Donald Trump's rabid impulses and are urging self-discipline and constraint, two words that aren't typically associated with the president.
In a Politico report, Republican officials explained that they agree with the attorney general that Trump should calm down and let him handle things.
“The president does have a tendency to lash out, and I think in this case he would be well advised to try to temper that,” said Sen. John Cornyn (R-TX). “Because I think Bill Barr is his best path on seeing that justice is done in terms of all of these various investigations, including the counterintelligence investigation and the lead-up to the Mueller report.”
‘If you kiss my butt, I will do something for you’: MSNBC commentator slams Trump’s ‘pay-to-play’ pardons
On MSNBC Wednesday, analyst Jason Johnson broke down the self-serving logic of President Donald Trump's pardons.
"These people wrote him from prison, these people had friends asking him questions. Many of these people were connected to the president financially," said Johnson. "And it's the general message that he has, which is that this is a pay-to-play administration. If you kiss my butt, if you give me money, if you make me feel good about myself, if you praise me, if you come up for ridiculous names for yourself 15 minutes after you come out of prison, the I will do something for you."
Trump threatens federal government takeover of San Francisco: ‘It’s worse than a slum’
President Donald Trump said on Wednesday that the federal government may "step in" to take control of San Francisco and Los Angeles.
The president made the remarks at a White House event in Bakersfield, California. During the event, Trump responded to someone who said he wanted to "get rid" of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.
"Get rid of Pelosi! That's okay with me!" Trump exclaimed. "Lot of people agree. Look what's happened to San Francisco. So sad what's happened, when you see a slum, where it's a slum. It's worse than a slum. There's no slum like that."
"It's something that we're going to do something about," he added. "Because if they don't fix it up, clean it up, take care of the homeless, do what they have to do but clean up their city, the federal government is going to have to step in. And we're going to do it in Los Angeles and San Francisco."