Quantcast
Connect with us

‘Bananas’ DOJ press release on discarded ballots viewed as effort to fuel Trump’s lies about mail-in fraud

Published

on

Bill Barr and Donald Trump (AFP)

The U.S. Department of Justice on Thursday published, abruptly removed, then re-posted a revised version of what was described as a highly unusual press release announcing an inquiry into nine “discarded” military ballots in Pennsylvania, seven of which were purportedly cast for President Donald Trump.

Observers were immediately suspicious of the Justice Department’s statement given President Donald Trump’s ongoing assault on the legitimacy of mail-in ballots, which he has described as a “scam” and falsely claimed are uniquely susceptible to fraud. Attorney General William Barr has also baselessly attacked voting by mail in recent weeks.

ADVERTISEMENT

“This statement by a U.S. Attorney is bananas. It talks about an ongoing investigation, and it reveals the candidates named on ballots. I’m still processing all of the levels on which this is wildly inappropriate.”
—Walter Shaub
On Thursday afternoon, the DOJ issued a press release attributed to David Freed, U.S. Attorney for the Middle District of Pennsylvania, claiming that “FBI personnel working together with the Pennsylvania State Police” recovered nine military ballots and said all of the “discarded” ballots were cast for Trump.

Shortly after the initial statement went viral on Twitter and White House Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany touted the announcement, the Justice Department deleted the original release and posted an edited version that claims seven of the nine discarded ballots were cast for Trump and “two of the discarded ballots had been resealed inside their appropriate envelopes,” leaving their contents unknown.

“This statement by a U.S. Attorney is bananas,” tweeted Walter Shaub, former head of the Office of Government Ethics. “It talks about an ongoing investigation, and it reveals the candidates named on ballots. I’m still processing all of the levels on which this is wildly inappropriate.”

In addition to the statement on the probe, the Justice Department also publicized a letter Freed sent to the director of elections in Luzerne County, Pennsylvania offering further specific details of the investigation, which Freed said was launched at the request of Luzerne County District Attorney Stefanie Salavantis, a Republican. Trump won the Pennsylvania county by nearly 20 points in 2016.

David Levine, elections integrity fellow at the watchdog group Alliance for Security Democracy, said the DOJ’s decision to make public statements—one of which contained false information—about an incomplete investigation so close to the election “is risky at best and dangerous at worst.”

ADVERTISEMENT

As NBC News reported late Thursday, “Both statements were highly unusual as U.S. Attorneys typically do not publicly announce they’ve opened an inquiry. The U.S. Attorney’s office declined to give further comment about the probe, except to say the general election ballots were improperly opened by county staff.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Julian Sanchez, a senior fellow at the libertarian Cato Institute, said the Justice Department’s decision to release the statement “sure looks like an effort to feed a bogus narrative about ballot fraud.” The press release came on the same day FBI Director Christopher Wray testified to the Senate that he has seen no evidence of widespread voter fraud.

“This seems like a hugely important story,” said Sanchez. “Not because nine ballots got thrown out, almost certainly by accident, but because it suggests DOJ is now an active participant in Trump’s effort to undermine the integrity of the presidential election.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Speaking to reporters Thursday before departing to Charlotte, North Carolina, Trump said that “they found, I understand, eight ballots in a waste paper basket in some location”—an apparent reference to the Pennsylvania story.

“And they found—it was reported in one of the newspapers that they found a lot of ballots in a river,” Trump said, without offering any specifics on the story. “They throw them out if they have the name ‘Trump’ on it, I guess.”

When a reporter responded that the ballots supposedly found in a river “had no names on them,” Trump said, “Okay, well, they still found them in a river, whether they had a name on it or not.”

ADVERTISEMENT

The president went on to suggest once again that he may not accept the results of the November election, claiming he is “not sure” the contest can be “honest”—remarks that came just 24 hours after Trump refused to commit to a peaceful transition of power if he loses to Democratic nominee Joe Biden.

“Take him literally and seriously,” New York Times contributor Wajahat Ali tweeted in response to the president’s comments. “He has literally told you how he will cheat and contest the election if he loses.”

ADVERTISEMENT


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

2020 Election

Here’s why counting 2020 votes could hinge on 13,500 misprinted ballots in Wisconsin

Published

on

Officials in Wisconsin are warning of delays in counting votes after 13,500 ballots were misprinted.

"The state Supreme Court declined to take a case Thursday that would tell officials in northeastern Wisconsin how to deal with misprinted ballots, raising the prospect of lengthy counting delays as clerks fill out thousands of replacement ballots on Election Day," Patrick Marley reported for the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel on Thursday.

Continue Reading

2020 Election

‘#PerdueIsChicken’: Internet mocks ‘coward’ GOP senator for canceling debate after Ossoff destroyed him in viral video

Published

on

Democratic Senate hopeful Jon Ossoff destroyed his Republican incumbent opponent so thoroughly Wednesday evening that Georgia Senator David Perdue has just canceled the third and final debate.

“It’s not just that you’re a crook, Senator, it’s that you’re attacking the health of the people that you represent,” Ossoff told Perdue, who had little to say in response. The viral video had been watched 5 million times by Thursday morning. It's now been viewed 9.3 million times, nearly as many times as the number of people in the entire state of Georgia.

Continue Reading
 

2020 Election

A fake ‘intelligence staffer’ crafted the groundwork for the Trump conspiracy theories about Hunter Biden

Published

on

It's unclear why President Donald Trump and his allies have chosen to attack Vice President Joe Biden's last living son as a key tenant to the 2020 reelection instead of focusing on his opponent himself. But according to a well-researched NBC News report by Ben Collins and Brandy Zadrozny, the "documents," actually came from a fake person that never existed using a profile photo created by an artificial intelligence face generator.

Months ago, there was a fake "intelligence" document about Hunter Biden that popped up online along with tons of "files" from a supposed laptop. None of it was real and it has all been dismissed by Trump's own associates as fake. But now it's being revealed that the company behind the effort was a fake "intelligence firm" called Typhoon Investigations, researchers and public documents revealed.

Continue Reading
 
 
Democracy is in peril. Invest in progressive news. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free. LEARN MORE