Top Stories Daily Listen Now
RawStory

Push Notification

'I had made a serious mistake': Ex-Trump voters hit the road to derail his campaign

A bevy of voters who now regret supporting Donald Trump have taken to the road as part of an orchestrated effort to convince others not to repeat the decision that said altered their lives for the worse.

In interviews with Amanda Marcotte of Salon, three women described the destructive effect Donald Trump and his presidency had on their lives, their families, their relationship with their church and their psyches.

Taking part in the "Republican Voters Against Trump" bus tour organized by the conservative anti-Trump news site Bulwark, one woman claimed she bought into the former president's pitch that she had "nothing to lose" if she cast her ballot for him in 2016.

NOW READ: Signs of what will happen on Election Day are everywhere

Now, Rebecca Foster from Florida is telling anyone who will listen that she learned "pretty early on that I had made a serious mistake. Now she said she is campaigning against him out of "part guilt and part determination."

Lifelong Republican and former evangelical Ursula Schneider of Arizona confessed to Marcotte that she is ashamed of her 2016 vote and elaborated, "I was always a strong woman. I always believed in women's rights, and yet I had lived in this misogynistic culture for all of this time."

She added that her longtime relationship with her church fell apart after she backed Trump, stating, "Church was my whole life. We lost our entire community and we lost our family relationships. I was 44 years old when that started. I felt like I'd wasted a lot of my life."

Retired teacher Melanie Barton-Gauss stated the Jan. 6 insurrection was the tipping point for her, explaining, "After Jan. 6, I did what in my family is considered unthinkable: I left the Republican Party and joined the Democrat[ic] Party. And I left the church."

She added that the addition of Sen. J.D Vance (R-OH) to the 2024 Trump ticket confirmed to her that she made the right move after becoming aware of his anti-women views.

"What does he think? That we're supposed to be barefoot and pregnant? I did not go to college to be relegated to solely that role," she said.

You can read more here.

Record outside spending floods Arizona as Dems launch furious down-ballot fight

In a move that underscores the high stakes of Arizona’s legislative elections, the Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee announced today it will pump nearly $1 million into targeted races across the state, adding to the $8.5 million that’s already been spent by outside groups in a handful of key districts.

The DLCC’s investment, part of a larger $2 million ad buy split between Arizona and Pennsylvania, aims to flip both chambers of the legislature to Democratic control for the first time in nearly 60 years. This latest spending push is the DLCC’s first directly trying to influence voters, though it has previously spent about $350,000 supporting Democratic candidates.

Keep reading... Show less

Trump’s ‘enemies’ rhetoric deemed disqualifying by experts

Donald Trump's latest claim, that Russia, China, and North Korea, "might not be enemies," but top Democrats, including Speaker Emerita Nancy Pelosi and U.S. Rep Adam Schiff are, has angered many on the left and led experts to issue warnings against the ex-president.

Continuing his refusal to grant interviews to non-friendly media outlets, Trump told Fox News' Howard Kurtz on Sunday those three authoritarian regimes, the “outside people, the so-called enemies, if they’re enemies—and they might not be enemies.”

Keep reading... Show less

Trump reignites furious battle with TV network: 'Election interference!'

Donald Trump again lashed out at CBS, reigniting his claims that the network spliced an interview with his Democratic opponent Kamala Harris to make her seem more presidential.

Trump, without evidence, has claimed the supposedly doctored clip was illegal and the "biggest scandal in broadcast history."

Keep reading... Show less

DeSantis aide tells federal court he resigned rather than follow governor's orders

John Wilson, an attorney who until recently served as the general counsel for the Florida Department of Health, filed a statement with a federal court that he was ordered by Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis' office to threaten TV stations with criminal prosecution if they aired ads in support of a constitutional referendum overturning the state's six-week abortion ban — and that he resigned rather than continue sending the warnings.

"On October 3, 2024, in my official capacity as General Counsel, I sent the letters referenced in paragraph 4 of Plaintiff’s complaint," said the filing. "I received drafts of the letters directly from Sam Elliot, Assistant General Counsel for the Executive Office of the Governor, earlier that day. I did not draft the letters or participate in any discussions about the letters prior to October 3, 2024. Ryan Newman, General Counsel for the Executive Office of the Governor, and Jed Doty, Deputy General Counsel for the Executive Office of the Governor, directed me to send them under my name and on the behalf of the Florida Department of Health,"

Keep reading... Show less

Catholic bishops 'resigned to defeat' — and spending millions less on election: report

When the U.S. Supreme Court made abortion a national right with the historic Roe v. Wade ruling in 1973, the most vehement outcry didn't come from white evangelical Protestants — it came from Catholics. White evangelicals, as religious studies professor Randall Balmer has noted, didn't make abortion a high priority until the late 1970s — their big issue in 1973 was segregation, which they vigorously defended.

The late Rev. Jerry Falwell Sr., in fact, was an outspoken defender of Jim Crow laws for many years. And his Moral Majority didn't have a lot to say about abortion before the Religious Right emerged at the end of the decade.

Keep reading... Show less

Here's the exact law Elon Musk may be breaking by offering to pay voters: expert

Over the weekend, Tesla, X, and SpaceX CEO Elon Musk began offering cash payments to voters who signed his pro-Donald Trump petition. "Morning Joe" hosts commented Monday that this is drawing questions about Musk's openness to breaking laws to get Trump elected.

All Joe Scarborough could do was laugh in shocked at the sheer amount Musk was offering — $1 million to people daily — that he was comfortable mentioning from a rally stage.

Keep reading... Show less

Morning Joe flips out on Trump for hammering Harris for one of his own policies

MSNBC host Joe Scarborough went on an extensive harangue aimed at Donald Trump and his campaign for flooding the airwaves with 30,000 ads pinning a controversial government policy begun by his administration on Vice President Kamala Harris.

The "Morning Joe" host also brought receipts by showing the memo dated 2018 when the former president was smack in the middle of his first and only term in office.

Holding up the documents, Scarborough complained about the ads that tied Harris to a federal prison policy providing gender-affirming care for prisoners that have become a regular feature during NFL broadcasts.

NOW READ: Not even ‘Fox and Friends’ can hide Trump’s dementia

"It's the law, it's the Trump law," the animated MSNBC host loudly exclaimed. "These are Donald Trump's documents from the Justice Department. This is what Donald Trump's Justice Department sent to congress!"

"Let me say this again: this is what Donald Trump's Justice Department sent to Congress talking about the, quote, 'Gender-affirming care that inmates would need to get.' Taxpayer funded gender affirming care," he repeated. " Ive got to say it sounds like a crazy idea to me, and we can have that debate at another time. It sounds like a crazy idea to a lot of Americans, but we can have that debate another time."

He later added, "It's very complicated, yes. We'll say for some people it's very complicated, but I just say we can have that debate at another time. The debate we can have is how hypocritical the Trump campaign has been running 30,000 ads during NFL games."

Watch the video below or at this link.

Keep reading... Show less

J.D. Vance: Trump threats to use military on 'enemy within' are 'from the heart'

Republican vice presidential candidate J.D. Vance defended Donald Trump's threat to use the U.S. military against the "enemy from within," saying the former president "speaks from the heart."

During a Monday interview on Fox News, host Bill Hemmer asked Vance why Trump kept talking about his threat to use the military in U.S. elections to fight "radical left lunatics" and the "enemy from within."

Keep reading... Show less

Kamala Harris knows her one weakness that could hand Trump the election: analyst

Vice President Kamala Harris is aware that her polling situation may be hiding a key weakness that will let former President Donald Trump win the election — and is trying to head it off, wrote Patrick Healy for The New York Times.

Ultimately, he wrote, it all comes down to the fact that a large number of "undecided" voters are still dissatisfied with the economy, despite all of its improvement over the last year.

Keep reading... Show less

'Same tired old claims': CNN reporter levels Marjorie Taylor Greene's conspiracy theory

CNN's Nick Valencia on Monday shot down conspiracy theories being peddled by Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA) and other MAGA Republicans about Dominion voting machines switching votes from former President Donald Trump to Vice President Kamala Harris.

While speaking with host Kate Bolduan, Valencia was asked about the fraud allegations lobbed by Greene over the weekend, which the Georgia Secretary of State's office was quick to debunk as false.

Keep reading... Show less

Experts hope this law could save America from Trump election chaos

Former President Donald Trump may not be in office for the 2024 election, but many of his most loyal supporters remain in Congress and could try to reject the electoral count the same way they tried to do so in 2020.

But there's another big difference from the 2020 presidential election, wrote Andy Craig of the Institute for Humane Studies for MSNBC — the Electoral Count Reform Act.

Keep reading... Show less

'Shrinkage': CNN data analyst shows surprising decline in Trump support in key demographic

CNN data analyst Harry Enten highlighted some surprising recent polling results that could help Vice President Kamala Harris offset potential losses among Black men in the 2024 presidential election.

Specifically, Enten pointed to polling showing that Trump's support among white voters without a college degree has been slipping over the last eight years.

Keep reading... Show less