Pandagon is daily opinion blog covering feminism, politics, and pop culture. Come for the politics, stay for the complete lack of patience for the B.S. and bad faith coming from conservative leaders and pundits.
International Soccer Weekend Update
Don't miss stories. Follow Raw Story!
A look at the latest in International Soccer:
- Brad Friedel, bitchez!
- I like the confidence, Carlitos, but I’m thinking Fergie isn’t cowering in fear of Man City just yet.
- USA, USA, USA!
- While I was writing this, Arsenal scored a brace.
- I’m prepared to hand Barcelona the Spanish League title, Kaka and Ronaldo be damned.
- Saw a commercial with Leo Messi speaking in English and cracked up when he called himself “Little Messi.” You go, Messito.
- With Ronaldo, Kaka and others drawing attention from defenders and the media, look for Karim Benzema to have a big year.
- We won’t be seeing Ronaldinho beating defenders off the dribble the way he used to, but he looked in strong form against Siena. Perhaps Pato’s youth is rubbing off on him.
- Did Ribery make a mistake staying with Bayern Munich? Quite possibly.
- I’d say the Russian Premier League ranks at the top of my “Leagues I wish I got to see more of” rankings. And you?
- Avai thumped traditional team Flamengo, 3-0, and are now in the Top-5 in Campeonato Brasileiro. I actually live in Brazil, and don’t have the foggiest idea where Avai is. I can tell you they have nothing to do with Acai, the fad fruit down here.
- Palmeiras remains on top of the standings, but were hard to watch wearing blue and white (to honor their Italian heritage) and not their traditional green.
- Adriano remains at the top of the goal-scorers list with 10, thus far. Don’t read too much into that, though. Just a couple years back, the 40ish Romario led the league in goals.
- If everyone is indeed looking for defensive midfielders, they could do much worse that Cruzeiro’s steady Marquinhos Paraná. He may be 32, but could definitely fill a back up DM role for many a European club.
21st Century Soccer Quotes
“You ever see soccer players line up to defend a free kick? They aren’t covering up their noses, that’s for sure.” – Bender Bending Rodriguez.