Quantcast
Connect with us

New Berlusconi scandal sparks feminist backlash

Published

on

97,000 women in Italy have signed a petition expressing anger at PM Silvio Berlusconi after an offensive comment directed at opposition MP Rosy Bindy.

The comment came during a late-night TV talk show. Berlusconi phoned in after Bindy, 58, openly criticized the Prime Minister following a recent court decision to remove his immunity from prosecution. When the matronly Bindy interrupted Berlusconi, he sarcastically replied, “I recognise you are increasingly more beautiful than you are intelligent.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Bindy replied, “I am not a woman at your disposal.”

As it became apparent that he had offended many women, he tried to laugh off his comment, saying that it was intended to be a “light-hearted joke for the public.”

The backlash stemming from the televised remark has some excited that a “new feminism is taking root in a traditionally conservative country,” according to BBC News. The online petition, an open letter to La Repubblica, has been rapidly collecting signatures from Italian women, including a signature from the Italian Association of Partisans, the national veteran’s group.

According to AKI news, Bindi received calls of support from thousands, including Italy’s ex-prime minister Romano Prodi and the ex-mayor of Rome. An online campaign on the Italian daily La Repubblica’s website, titled ‘We are all Rosy Bindi’, gained support via social networking websites.

Facebook groups promoting ‘Solidarity with Rosy Bindi’ abound. Opposition leader Dario Franceschini demanded an apology from Berlusconi for his “rude and vulgar insults.” Senator Patrizia Bugnano told reporters, “Someone tell Berlusconi he is no George Clooney.”

ADVERTISEMENT

This is not the first time Berlusconi has come off as chauvinist. In the past, he has described women over 50 as “the menopause section”, and has complained the Spanish cabinet was “too pink” because it has several female ministers.

The biggest scandal for Berlusconi this year was the infamous batch of photographs taken at his villa of naked women mingling with, among others, the ex-Prime Minister of the Czech Republic.


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

COVID-19

As coronavirus spikes break new records Dr. Fauci reveals Trump doesn’t even speak to him anymore

Published

on

President Donald Trump tried to claim the mantle of a "wartime president," battling the "unseen enemy," but as it turns out one of the people who could best help him with the coronavirus battle is who's really "unseen."

Dr. Anthony Fauci, an immunologist and probably the most respected public health expert on the government's payroll, reveals the President of the United States no longer talks to him.

In fact, Trump hasn't talked to Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), in over a month – and hasn't been able to update Trump in at least two.

Continue Reading

Facebook

Instagram to block all content promoting LGBT ‘conversion therapy’

Published

on

Instagram said on Friday it would block content that promotes so-called conversion therapy, which aims to alter a person's sexual orientation or gender identity, as pressure to ban the practice grows.

The social media giant announced earlier this year it would no longer allow adverts for conversion therapy services, which can range from counseling and "praying away the gay" to electric shocks and sexual violence.

"We don't allow attacks against people based on sexual orientation or gender identity," Tara Hopkins, Instagram's public policy director for Europe, Middle East and Africa said in an emailed statement.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Trump campaign headquarters in Virginia shut down for COVID-19 after staffers pressured against wearing face masks

Published

on

President Donald Trump's campaign office, located in northern Virginia just outside of Washington, was forced to shut down after a COVID-19 outbreak.

Politico reported Friday that for a week cleaners were brought into the headquarters to scrub surfaces, disinfect equipment and try and stave off the coronavirus from hitting the campaign more than it already has.

While in Tulsa, Oklahoma, eight members of Trump's advance team contracted the coronavirus, including Secret Service agents. While in Arizona the following week, more of Trump's Secret Service got the virus. To make matters worse, when Trump headed to South Dakota for a Fourth of July celebration, his son's girlfriend, who also works on the campaign, contracted the virus.

Continue Reading
 
 
You need honest news coverage. Help us deliver it. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free.
close-image