Quantcast
Connect with us

Video: H1N1 vaccine frustrations reach the White House

Published

on

Manufacturing delays in the H1N1 vaccine process have been frustrating America’s attempts to stay healthy. In an interview with NPR’s Scott Simon, Obama’s senior adviser admitted that White House estimates of available vaccines were based on bad information from the manufacturer.

Broadcasting this weekend on National Public Radio, Scott Simon reminded David Axelrod of promises made by the White House in August. “The Centers for Disease Control said that 120 million doses would be available. They later scaled that back to 45 million. We’re speaking today, on the last day of October, 25 million doses reportedly are ready. Did the government overpromise?”

ADVERTISEMENT

Axelrod responded, “Well, I think the manufacturers overpromised, and what was reported was the representations that were made to us. The fact is that this is a problem that’s abating every day.” Flu experts disagree that the problem is “abating every day,” as this year’s influenza season has hardly begun.

In the United States, the flu season is generally considered between October and May with the peak of the season falling between late December and March. 114 children have been killed by the virus in the United States during a time when there is usually virtually no influenza, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

On Friday, President Obama expressed his own frustration with the lack of available vaccines. The original production estimate of 20 million doses per week has been pared down to 10 million.

GlaxoSmithKline, one of the five vaccine manufacturers, reported to Canadian health ministers that production of a special vaccine for pregnant women is slowing them down.

Kathleen Sebelius, Obama’s secretary of Human Health Services, appeared on CNN this morning to discuss the H1N1 vaccine shortage. “Unfortunately, they[the five manufacturers] were overly optimistic and we gave those numbers to the American public.” Holmes asked Sebelius, “How much does this hurt the health of the country by being behind on these numbers?” Sebelius responded, “Well, we have a vaccine that works.”

ADVERTISEMENT

The NPR radio broadcast with Scott Simon and David Axelrod can be heard here.

This video is from Saturday’s broadcast of CNN Newsroom with T.J. Holmes.


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Dr. Fauci emotionally recounts his close relationship with the late AIDS activist Larry Kramer

Published

on

Dr. Anthony Fauci has burst on to the national stage as a result of the current coronavirus pandemic, but his work as a public health official extends back decades. He was a key figure in the fight against HIV/AIDS, and in an interview on PBS NewsHour on Wednesday, he offered a personal and emotional glimpse into that history.

Earlier in the day, it was reported that Larry Kramer, a famed writer and influential AIDS activist, had died at age 84. PBS host Judy Woodroof noted that Fauci and Kramer had been friends.

"In the beginning of the AIDS outbreak in the 1980s, the two of you had a pretty contentious relationship," Woodroof said. "But that changed over time."

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

REVEALED: An Obama-era plan to protect medical workers in a pandemic was thwarted under Trump

Published

on

President Donald Trump has repeatedly claimed that his Democratic predecessor in the White House, Barack Obama, left him ill-prepared to handle a major health crisis when, in fact, Obama’s administration left behind a comprehensive pandemic game plan that included a 69-page playbook. But Trump’s administration abandoned those Obama-era recommendations. On top of that, National Public Radio’s Brian Mann is reporting that Trump’s administration, in 2017, “stopped work on new federal regulations that would have forced the health care industry to prepare for an airborne infectious disease pandemic such as COVID-19.”

Continue Reading
 

CNN

‘Don’t be a sucker’: CNN’s Cuomo begs viewers not to let Trump’s antics distract from the horror of COVID deaths

Published

on

On Wednesday's edition of CNN's "Cuomo Prime Time," Chris Cuomo warned viewers not to be taken in by President Donald Trump's distraction tactics — and instead focus on the loss of human life from the coronavirus pandemic.

"It's a sad night. I don't know any other way to put it," said Cuomo. "I don't even like that the music's playing, to be honest. It's just three months. We've lost a hundred thousand lives. Do you need band music to tell you it's something urgent?"

"We were told this pandemic would magically disappear without any real trouble. A couple dozen cases," said Cuomo. "Today, did you hear what our president, Donald John Trump, said to calm and reassure our nerves, that we will do everything we can to keep us safe as we reopen and that he will make it his life's focus because that what a president does? Did you hear him say that? Me either. Not a damn word from Trump as this country is just struggling to get our heads and our hearts, let alone our hands around processing such loss so quickly. Suddenly he is now at a loss. Not even a tweet."

Continue Reading
 
 
You need honest news coverage. Help us deliver it. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free.
close-image