Thousands of protesters have gathered in the Danish capital Copenhagen to call on governments at the UN global climate change summit to commit to a deal.
Police detained at least 68 people during demonstrations on Friday in which activists attempted to disrupt meetings between corporations and industry lobby groups, accusing them of being “climate criminals”.
Protesters did not access any buildings, which had been marked on maps as targets throughout the day.
Police, some wearing riot helmets, followed activists as they wound through the narrow streets of central Copenhagen to the sound of drums, whistles and horns and chants of “Our climate – Not your business”.
The procession then split up, with activists fanning out to several locations, including the venue of a business conference.
Lars Borg, a Copenhagen police spokesman, said protesters did not reach the Bella Centre conference facility, where representatives from about 190 governments are negotiating a new global climate agreement.
A draft climate pact unveiled at the summit on Friday revived hopes that the UN talks might be able to pin down a deal, but developing nations said they needed more financial commitment from richer nations.
With less than a week until more than 110 world leaders descend on the talks, the proposal that would at least halve global emissions by 2050 sought to bridge some of the long-standing rifts between rich and poor nations.
A European Union offer of $10.8 bn of climate aid over the next three years was welcomed by the UN and the Danish hosts.
Connie Hedegaard, the Danish minister presiding over the negotiations, said: “Things are progressing.”
Yvo de Boer, head of the UN Climate Change Secretariat, said the draft text marked a “step change” in the negotiations.
China, the world’s largest carbon emitter ahead of the US, said rich nations needed to provide long-term cash if they wanted poor nations to agree long-term emissions goals.
“I doubt the sincerity of developed countries in their commitment. Why are they not talking about a commitment of providing funds through 2050?” He Yafei, the Chinese vice-foreign minister, said late on Thursday.
“That will make them credible when they are asking for an emissions reduction by 2050.”
Todd Stern, US President Barack Obama’s special envoy for climate change, said earlier this week that he could not “envision” public funds for climate change going to China.
China’s He said that was a dangerous betrayal of a globally agreed principle that rich nations had a responsibility to help poor nations adapt to a warmer world and cut emissions.
“I was shocked, personally, to read the American negotiator’s [comment],” he told a news conference.
“I don’t want to say the gentleman is ignorant, because he is very well educated, but I think he lacked common sense when he made such a comment vis-a-vis funds for China. Either lack of common sense or he is extremely irresponsible.”
“When people mention US and China together, they tend to forget that these two countries belong to totally different categories. The US is part of the developed countries … China is part of developing countries. You cannot mix the two.”
African nations said they were still considering the draft, but also were unhappy about financing.
The draft text covers both an extension of the existing UN Kyoto Protocol, whose first phase ends in 2012, and a parallel track of talks.
The text offers a range for global cuts in greenhouse gas emissions, mainly from burning fossil fuels, of at least 50 per cent by 2050 from 1990 levels.
This video was published to YouTube on Saturday, Dec. 12, 2009.
Daily Mail defends story linking Israel’s Ehud Barak to Jeffrey Epstein
Britain's Daily Mail newspaper on Thursday defended its decision to publish photos of one of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's election rivals entering the mansion of disgraced US financier Jeffrey Epstein in 2016.
Ehud Barak's lawyers wrote to the Daily Mail on Wednesday demanding that it retract Tuesday's story and pay "substantial damages to vindicate his reputation and compensate him".
Epstein had already been convicted in 2009 as a sex felon and served a 13-month prison term.
‘It’s Hafiz Saeed. Not Jason Bourne’: Trump mocked for tweet on arrest of Mumbai attacks suspect
Pakistanis Thursday mocked US President Donald Trump's claim that the alleged Mumbai attacks mastermind had been arrested "after a ten-year search" while he was actually in the public eye for much of the decade.
Hafiz Saeed, a firebrand cleric accused by Washington and New Delhi of being behind the 2008 attacks, was taken into custody on Wednesday, days ahead of a trip by Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan to Washington for his first meeting with Trump.
"After a ten-year search, the so-called 'mastermind' of the Mumbai Terror attacks has been arrested in Pakistan. Great pressure has been exerted over the last two years to find him!" Trump tweeted Wednesday.
Jeffrey Epstein spent almost all of his time abusing underage girls: ‘It was his full-time job,’ says victim’s lawyer
Jeffrey Epstein apparently did nothing but sexually abuse underage girls, according to one victim's attorney.
The sources of the financier's wealth are murky, as he had only one known client -- women's clothing magnate Les Wexner -- but attorney Brad Edwards said that seems to have freed Epstein up to engage in nonstop predatory conduct, reported Vanity Fair.
“It was his full-time job,” said attorney Brad Edwards. “We have not found anyone who has provided information about a legitimate business he was engaged [in].”