Quantcast
Connect with us

Haitian children allegedly abducted by Christian group reunited with parents

Published

on

Haitian elections suspended amid recovery efforts

Three weeks after a massive earthquake, Haitian authorities on Tuesday indefinitely postponed upcoming legislative elections amid rising security concerns in the crippled Caribbean nation.

Aid workers, meanwhile, began to reunite with their families some of the 33 children that a US missionary group tried to sneak out of the country last week without government authorization.

Justice officials said the 10 Americans behind the alleged abductions, who are still to be charged, might have to be tried in the United States because of the post-quake chaos.

The Haitian government has been left largely dysfunctional since the 7.0-magnitude January 12 quake, which killed an estimated 170,000 people and left many official buildings in ruins.

ADVERTISEMENT

“The electoral council has decided to postpone the legislative elections of February 28 and March 3, 2010, to a later unspecified date,” the authorities announced on Tuesday.

The polls had been set to decide the fate of all 99 seats in the House and one third of the seats in the Senate.

Security concerns were also raised when the United Nations revealed that armed men had attempted to hijack a food convoy at a road near Haiti’s Jeremie airport at the weekend.

ADVERTISEMENT

The UN Bureau for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) in Geneva said “warning shots were fired” during Saturday’s incident and assessed that the situation in Haiti is “stable but potentially volatile.”

The security situation is one of the main concerns of international relief teams and residents of the Haitian capital Port-au-Prince, which had been hit by looting following the disaster.

An abduction controversy is also overshadowing the ongoing relief effort that is still struggling to feed, house and care for an estimated one million homeless Haitians.

ADVERTISEMENT

As many survivors still gasp for food, water, shelter and medical help, officials have the added headache of deciding what to do with the group of Americans whose apparently well-intentioned meddling could land them in jail.

Hundreds mourn at Haiti mass grave

Haitian police are still questioning the five men and five women from the Idaho-based New Life Children’s Refuge, who face possible charges of criminal conspiracy, kidnapping minors and child-trafficking.

ADVERTISEMENT

Police seized the US nationals, along with two Haitians, as they tried to cross into the neighboring Dominican Republic late Friday with the children — some babies as young as two months, others up to 12 years old.

“The parents now are coming to the village to reclaim their children,” said Heather Paul, the CEO of SOS Children’s Villages USA, the aid group now caring for the children.

“We already hear that many are saying that we (they) have parents,” Paul told NBC.

ADVERTISEMENT

Gervais Charles, president of the Port-au-Prince Bar, said the nation’s justice system would struggle to cope with a high-profile abduction trial.

“We have lost the foundations of our justice system. It is a very difficult moment for us, as we have no idea how we are going to rebuild,” Charles said as he joined colleagues in a ceremony for colleagues killed by the quake.

“In the current situation, in and such a case, we need a quick trial. But in the current conditions that is practically impossible. So I would not rule out transferring the American citizens to America if the American system is competent, especially now that we have recovered the children.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Guetchine G. Ordalus, a member of the Haiti Bar Association, voiced his anger at the row.

“Our country has been destroyed by an earthquake, and is a nation known for its economic and social problems. But that doesn’t mean that foreigners can come here and take children away so easily.”

Laura Silsby, the detained head of New Life Children’s Refuge, has insisted the group simply wanted to give the children a better life in an orphanage it planned to set up in the Dominican Republic.

ADVERTISEMENT

“We came here literally to just help the children. Our intentions were good,” she told AFP from police detention. “We wanted to help those who lost parents in the quake or were abandoned.”

Meanwhile, UN officials said nearly half a million people had fled Port-au-Prince for the countryside since the quake, doubling a previous estimate of 235,000.

OCHA said 90 percent were staying with relatives, but the prices of basic commodities such as rice and sugar were rising and medical centers were short of supplies and equipment.


Report typos and corrections to [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Facebook

Newly revealed video shows Trump and Jeffrey Epstein ogling cheerleaders at Mar-A-Lago party

Published

on

Newly revealed video recorded in 1992 shows Donald Trump and Jeffrey Epstein ogling NFL cheerleaders at a party held at the future president's Mar-A-Lago club.

The video recorded by NBC and broadcast Wednesday by MSNBC shows Trump, then a celebrity businessman, dancing with dozens of cheerleaders for the Buffalo Bills and Miami Dolphins, and then greeting Epstein and two other men.

Trump and the accused pedophile Epstein are then seen pointing toward various women and commenting on their looks, although it's not always clear what they're saying.

"She's hot," Trump says about one woman, and then leans in to say something that makes Epstein double over with laughter.

Continue Reading

Facebook

‘Clear and present racism’: MSNBC’s Morning Joe and Mika say Kellyanne Conway should have been ‘fired on the spot’ for slurring reporter

Published

on

MSNBC's Joe Scarborough and Mika Brzezinski were astonished by Kellyanne Conway's response to a reporter asking about President Donald Trump's racist attacks on four first-year lawmakers.

The White House senior adviser asked Breakfast Media White House correspondent Andrew Feinberg, who is Jewish, about his ethnicity after he asked Conway what countries Trump was telling the Democratic congresswomen to return.

"I won't draw any parallels with any fascist countries, but what happened yesterday in a press gaggle has nothing to do with the United States of America," Scarborough said, "and in any other administration over the past 240 years, a person that did what Kellyanne Conway did yesterday would have been fired on the spot. By the time she left the press gaggle and went back into the White House, they would have already packed up her belongings and would have told her leave by the back door and never talk to us again."

Continue Reading
 

Facebook

Elon Musk shows off progress on brain-machine interface

Published

on

Futurist entrepreneur Elon Musk late Tuesday revealed his secretive Neuralink startup is making progress on an interface linking brains with computers, and said they hope to begin testing on people next year.

Musk has long contended that a neural lace meshing minds with machines is vital if people are going to avoid being so outpaced by artificial intelligence that, under the best of circumstances, humans would be akin to "house cats."

Musk and members of the Neuralink team laid out progress they have made on their mission at an event held in San Francisco to recruit talent in software, robotics, neuroscience and more.

Continue Reading
 
 
 

Copyright © 2019 Raw Story Media, Inc. PO Box 21050, Washington, D.C. 20009 | Masthead | Privacy Policy | For corrections or concerns, please email [email protected]

close-image