The public editor of a newspaper in Michigan called out online news portal Drudge Report today, accusing the site of being “constantly on the lookout for making mountains out of molehills.”
Wednesday afternoon the huge top headline on the news site read: “Students asked for ‘citizen status’ prior to Obama commencement.”
Drudge linked to an article published by the Kalamazoo Gazette two days earlier, Monday morning, about routine background checks performed ahead of a visit by President Barack Obama to Kalamazoo Central High School.
“K-Central students are not being asked to provide proof of citizenship status,” Kalamazoo Gazette public editor Joyce Pines writes. “They have been asked to fill out the same paperwork and answer the same questions throughout their entire public school career.”
Von Washington Jr., the principal of Kalamazoo Central High School, said he has been told this will not stop any senior from participating in the graduation ceremony, and it’s also his understanding that this is standard operating procedure for audiences who will be close to the president.
K-Central found out May 4 that the school won a national competition, for which the school submitted a video, that will bring Obama to its commencement as graduation speaker. The ceremony will be held at 7 p.m. June 7 at Western Michigan UniversityÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s basketball arena.
“The students in the Drudge photo are not K-Central students, by the way,” she added.
In fact, the photo used by Drudge Report to suggest the Secret Service is looking for illegal immigrants in the mix of the winning school’s students was taken in November. According to Politico, that was when President Obama launched the “Educate to Innovate” campaign, a $260 million public-private investment to improve American science and math education.
Despite the new article, and an added update at the top of the page Drudge is linking to, the headline remained atop the Drudge Report web site Wednesday evening.
Trump alerts ‘active-duty U.S. military police’ for possible deployment to Minnesota: report
President Donald Trump's administration is contemplating using active-duty U.S. troops in an attempt to quell the protests in Minneapolis, the Associated Press reported early Saturday morning.
As unrest spread across dozens of American cities on Friday, the Pentagon took the rare step of ordering the Army to put several active-duty U.S. military police units on the ready to deploy to Minneapolis, where the police killing of George Floyd sparked the widespread protests," the AP reported.
"Soldiers from Fort Bragg in North Carolina and Fort Drum in New York have been ordered to be ready to deploy within four hours if called, according to three people with direct knowledge of the orders. Soldiers in Fort Carson, in Colorado, and Fort Riley in Kansas have been told to be ready within 24 hours. The people did not want their names used because they were not authorized to discuss the preparations," the AP explained.
John Roberts joins liberals as Supreme Court rejects challenge to Newsom’s COVID-19 limits on California church attendance
In a 5-4 ruling, the Supreme Court on Friday rejected an emergency appeal from the South Bay United Pentecostal Church in Chula Vista, California. The San Diego area church tried to challenge the state's limits on attendance at worship services:
The church argued that limits on how many people can attend their services violate constitutional guarantees of religious freedom and had been seeking an order in time for services on Sunday. The church said it has crowds of 200 to 300 people for its services.