Quantcast
Connect with us

No charges to be filed in destruction of CIA tapes

Published

on

There will be no criminal charges over the destruction of CIA tapes showing interrogation of terrorism detainees, according to a new report.

Federal prosecutors have determined that there is not enough evidence to bring charges, two sources have told NPR.

The statue of limitations expired Monday so no future prosecutions will be possible.

A few of the tapes allegedly contained evidence showing the interrogation of two detainees, Abu Zubaydah and Abd al-Rahim al-Nashiri. Intelligence officials told NBC News that one of the tapes showed Zubaydah being waterboarded. Other tapes contained innocuous images of other detainees.

ADVERTISEMENT

The CIA reportedly destroyed the tapes in November 2005. The Senate Intelligence Committee’s Democratic chairman, Sen. Jay Rockefeller, learned of their destruction in November 2006.

Then-Attorney General Michael Mukasey named Assistant US Attorney John Durham to lead an investigation in January 2008.

Attorney General Eric Holder expanded Durham’s mandate last year and asked him to look into whether the CIA or contractors went beyond legal interrogation methods. That investigation is ongoing, according to NPR’s sources.

ADVERTISEMENT

Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

‘Horde of clueless angry white men’: Internet mocks Matt Gaetz for leading a raid on a secure impeachment hearing

Published

on

On Wednesday, Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) led a gang of two dozen conservative lawmakers as they barged into a classified evidence meeting in the impeachment proceeding against President Donald Trump.

Gaetz — who is not a member of the Intelligence Committee but has demanded the right to review sensitive evidence as if he is one — received scorn from commenters on social media for his stunt:

This is their plan? I’m so fucking relieved we’re up against Matt Gaetz.

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

BUSTED: Newly uncovered White House budget docs undercut one of Trump’s last defenses in Ukraine scandal

Published

on

President Donald Trump's insistence that he only pushed Ukraine to investigate former Vice President Joe Biden because he was concerned about "corruption" has been one of his primary defenses against House Democrats' impeachment inquiry.

However, the Washington Post has uncovered some White House budget documents that directly undercut the president's defense.

According to the Post, the Trump administration "has sought repeatedly to cut foreign aid programs tasked with combating corruption in Ukraine and elsewhere overseas" even though the White House has insisted that it is laser-focused on promoting good governance in the country.

Continue Reading
 

Facebook

Rick Perry quickly gets stumped after claiming House impeachment inquiry is breaking the law

Published

on

Speaking on the Fox Business Network this Wednesday morning, outgoing Energy Secretary Rick Perry tried to dispel speculation that his coming resignation is due to his alleged involvement in the Ukraine fiasco enveloping the White House, saying that he had been planning to resign for "eight or nine months."

Perry jumped right into the subject of the impeachment inquiry targeting President Trump and the fact that his former department will not comply with a House subpoena for documents.

Continue Reading
 
 
Help Raw Story Uncover Injustice. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1 and go ad-free.
close-image