Quantcast
Connect with us

700 NATO soldiers killed in 2010; new firefights

Published

on

NATO troops targeted by roadside bombs, 2 killed, 2010 coalition death toll reaches record 700

A coalition patrol fought off an insurgent attack in mountainous eastern Afghanistan Tuesday, on a day when two servicemen were killed in the country’s troubled south, bringing the death toll for foreign troops in the country 2010 to 700, according to an AP count.

ADVERTISEMENT

This year is by far the deadliest for the coalition in the nearly decade-long war, as tens of thousands of additional international troops have poured into the country in an effort to suppress a virulent Taliban insurgency. But while NATO and the United States note progress has been made in the militants’ traditional strongholds in the south, they acknowledge gains made remain precarious.

Security has also deteriorated in the north, while many parts of eastern Afghanistan, along the border with Pakistan, remain violent and under militant control. NATO forces often engaging in heavy fighting there.

In the eastern province of Kunar, a fierce firefight broke out when U.S. soldiers from Forward Operating Base Fortress came under attack as their patrol drove on a small road through mountainous territory in Chowkey District, an AP photographer with the troops said.

A roadside bomb struck a vehicle in the patrol first, and militants then opened fire on the soldiers with rocket-propelled grenades and rifles. The U.S. soldiers hit back with gunfire and artillery in an hour-long firefight that caused no U.S. casualties. The clash reflected the daily violence faced by NATO forces confronting gunfire, roadside bombs and attacks in most parts of the country.

NATO said two servicemembers were killed by roadside bombs in southern Afghanistan Tuesday. In line with its standard policy, it did not provide the nationality of either casualty or say where they were killed.

ADVERTISEMENT

With 700 international troops killed in Afghanistan, this year has been by far the deadliest of the nearly decade-long war. Previously, the worst year of war in terms of coalition deaths was 2009, with 504 foreign troops killed, according to an Associated Press count.

Some news organizations count the deaths of service members assigned to other countries as part of the war in Afghanistan, making their totals slightly higher.

While the increased numbers of troops and stepped-up operations account for more military casualties, it is civilians who have often borne the brunt of the war. A recent United Nations report said it documented 2,412 conflict-related civilian casualties in the first 10 months of the year. More than three-quarters of them were caused by militant activity, a 25 percent increase from the same period in 2009, the report said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Many civilians have been killed in bombings. In the troubled southern city of Kandahar Monday, three people died and 26 wounded when a suicide car bomber detonated his explosives in the center of the city. Police later defused a motorcycle bomb that was apparently meant to go off shortly after the first attack, Kandahar governor’s spokesman Zalmai Ayubi said Tuesday.

The Taliban have deep roots in southern Afghanistan, their traditional stronghold, and the region has seen some of the worst fighting this year. Police and the Afghan army are often the target of attacks, along with people working for the government and coalition forces.

ADVERTISEMENT

Gunmen killed an employee at the Kandahar mayor’s office as the man walked down a street Tuesday, deputy police chief Fazel Ahmed Sherzad said. It was not the first time the mayor’s office was targeted. In April, gunmen shot dead Kandahar’s deputy mayor as he knelt for evening prayers in a mosque.

Along with the insurgency, Afghanistan has also been wracked by political uncertainty. Doubts still linger over September’s parliamentary elections, which were marred by widespread irregularities.

The Supreme Court set up a special tribunal Sunday to review complains of vote fraud, casting doubt over the final election results — which were only issued on Nov. 24. Election officials insist the Supreme Court does not have the authority to change the results.

ADVERTISEMENT

The uncertainty has led to anger among the hundreds of losing candidates in the election, which saw 2,500 contenders run for the 249 seats.

On Tuesday, about 300 people demonstrated outside the Supreme Court in Kabul, demanding a review of the results.

____

Associated Press photographer Rafiq Maqbool in Kunar province and AP writer Mirwais Khan in Kandahar contributed to this report.

ADVERTISEMENT

Source: AP News

Mochila insert follows…

Powered by Mochila

ADVERTISEMENT


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

2020 Election

Here are 3 winners and 3 losers from the 2020 Democratic presidential primary debate

Published

on

Former New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg joined the other leading Democratic presidential primary candidates Wednesday night in the fieriest evening of the race so far.

His presence on the stage drew fire from the other candidates, but it also seemed to change the overall tone of the debate, with more attacks, counter-attacks, and passion than was generally seen earlier in the campaign.

Here’s a (necessarily subjective!) list of the winners and losers from the fray:

Winners

Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) — Warren hit her stride right as the debate started by attacking Bloomberg for his record on the mistreatment of women, racist policies, and his tax returns. She repeatedly came back to skewer the former mayor, making herself the biggest and most notable presence in the debate. But importantly, she also continuously brought the discussion back to the issues she cares about — like expanding health care, environmental justice,  and consumer protection — while getting in digs at the other candidates on the stage.

Continue Reading

Facebook

Michael Bloomberg ‘lost everything’ in Las Vegas: MSNBC analyst

Published

on

Senior editor for "The Root," Jason Johnson, concluded that the biggest loser of the Democratic debate in Las Vegas Wednesday was Michael Bloomberg, but not merely because of his debate performance.

"The big new name was going to be Michael Bloomberg," he said. "This was probably the most expensive night in Vegas I've ever seen. He lost everything. This guy has spent $320 million. He had the opportunity to stand on stage, and appear to be an equal, and he looked bored. He looked disenchanted. He stumbled over obvious questions that anybody would have anticipated about sexual harassment and stop and frisk. I thought it was a bad night for him."

Continue Reading
 

Facebook

Pro-immigration protesters interrupt Joe Biden’s closing statement at debate

Published

on

Former Vice President Joe Biden's closing statement was interrupted by protesters at Thursday night's Democratic presidential debate.

As Biden began his remarks, demonstrators began shouting about the Obama administration's record on deportations.

WATCH: Protesters interrupt the #DemDebate as the debate nears end. pic.twitter.com/TKCn6eIEsN

— NBC News (@NBCNews) February 20, 2020

Continue Reading
 
 
close-image