UPDATE: MasterCard says a list of purported credit card numbers released by pro-WikiLeaks hacktivists is not genuine.
“Those are not MasterCard numbers,” company spokesman Chris Montero told Raw Story.
Montero said that MasterCard numbers all begin with a “5.” Raw Story’s copy of the list does not appear to include any serial number that begins with a five.
Earlier in the day, Operation Payback — an anonymous group of hackers seeking revenge on organizations and individuals seen to be enemies of WikiLeaks — had claimed that the list represented 10,000 valid MasterCard numbers.
It is unknown whether the numbers are real credit card numbers. About one quarter of the serial numbers begin with a “4,” which is the number all Visa cards begin with.
ORIGINAL STORY FOLLOWS BELOW
Operation Payback, the hacktivist group taking revenge on groups and individuals seen as enemies of WikiLeaks, has published a list of what it says are 10,000 MasterCard credit card numbers.
The anonymous hackers earlier in the day attacked the websites of both MasterCard and Visa, in retaliation for the companies’ freezing of WikiLeaks’ account.
“To the people of the industrial world, dismiss your MasterCard now!” the group declared on a Twitter account that has since been taken down.
The list includes what appear to be card numbers, as well as expiry dates. However, the names of the card-holders are not included.
The numbers were posted to a file-sharing site that has evidently since taken them down. Raw Story has obtained a copy of the list, but has decided not to publish it for privacy reasons.
It has not been confirmed that these are actual credit card numbers. MasterCard spokespeople were unavailable to comment Wednesday evening.
The security breach could pose a serious public relations problem for the credit card company, which may find itself defending its customer privacy practices and the security of its computer networks. News reports earlier Wednesday indicated that it took all of a minute to shut down MasterCard’s website once hackers launched an attack.
Operation Payback’s Twitter account was shut down Wednesday. Speculation abounds on the Internet that the publishing of the credit card numbers may have prompted the shut-down.
On Wednesday evening, the group –now armed with a new Twitter account — boasted of its successful attempts at shutting down websites, which — aside from the credit card companies — included Sen. Joe Lieberman’s site, the site of the Swedish prosecutor handling the sexual assault investigation into WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, and Swiss bank PostFinance, which froze Assange’s legal defense fund.
“Bloody hell! @anon_operation takes down mastercard, visa, a Swiss bank, the Swedish prosecution, and Lieberman’s site. In 24 hours? Whoa!” the hacktivists declared.
Meanwhile, the company that processes payments to WikiLeaks says it will sue Visa over its decision to shut out WikiLeaks.
“DataCell, who facilitates those payments towards WikiLeaks, has decided to take up immediate legal action to make donations possible again,” the company said in a statement flagged by TalkingPointsMemo.
“Visa is hurting WikiLeaks and DataCell in high figures. … Visa users have explicitly expressed their will to send their donations to Wikileaks and Visa is not fulfilling this wish.”
Soledad O’Brien shames 1980 ‘Miracle on Ice’ hockey team for photo-op with Trump while wearing MAGA hats
In an early Sunday morning tweet, award-winning journalist Soledad O'Brien expressed her dismay with members of the 1980 Gold Medal-winning Olympic hockey team for celebrating their historic win over the then-Soviet Union -- dubbed the "Miracle on Ice" -- with Donald Trump while wearing "Make America Great Again" hats.
According to O'Brien, seeing them hand Trump a photo-op filled her with "disappointment."
Taking to Twitter, she wrote, " Ugh.... so disappointed by the @1980MiracleTeam . I loved watching that game as a kid with my dad. Loved watching the movie with my kids. To see them on a stage, in maga hats—kinda crushing I have to say."
‘Nice deflection, Mr President’: Adam Schiff busts Trump for trying to blame him for his leaky administration
Rep. Adam Schiff (D-CA) took a shot at President Donald Trump on Sunday morning after the president tried to blame him for the leak describing a classified meeting lawmakers had with an intelligence official who warned the bipartisan group that the Kremlin is trying to help the president get re-elected.
As the president prepared to leave the White House for India, he told reporters that Schiff was to blame for the leaked meeting story, with the president insisting he personally had not been briefed on the report explosive report.
Responding to a 'Meet the Press" clip of the president making his accusation, Schiff tweeted back: "Nice deflection, Mr. President. But your false claims fool no one. You welcomed Russian help in 2016, tried to coerce Ukraine’s help in 2019, and won’t protect our elections in 2020. Now you fired your intel chief for briefing Congress about it. You’ve betrayed America. Again."
George Conway taunts Republican voters for sticking by ‘psycho buffoon’ Trump
Conservative attorney George Conway launched a mini-tweet storm on Sunday morning just as President Donald Trump was leaving the country for a visit to India, telling Republican voters that they didn't have to settle for him being their candidate in 2016.
Along the way, he described the president as "a psycho and a buffoon."
In the series of tweets, Conway -- the husband of Trump White House adviser Kellyanne Conway -- noted that a more mainstream candidate could have won in 2016, writing, "Some perspective for supporters of @realDonaldTrump: A stable and competent GOP candidate would have won the popular vote in 2016, perhaps even by a few percentage points; a stable and competent GOP president, having inherited such a strong economy and goosed it with massive deficit spending, would have approval ratings of at least 55%."