Quantcast
Connect with us

Murdoch’s News Corporation net profit down 21 percent

Published

on

NEW YORK – The lack of another blockbuster hit like 2009’s “Avatar” helped push third-quarter profits down 21 percent, media and entertainment giant News Corporation said Wednesday.

Profit for the quarter to March 31 fell to $682 million from the $861 million record quarter a year earlier, when the company was still raking in huge sums from “Avatar,” the world’s best-selling film.

ADVERTISEMENT

The company also continued to see significant losses from its sagging MySpace social media website, which has lost ground to Facebook, and also took a $125 million hit to pre-tax income after it settled an antitrust lawsuit by Insignia Systems.

But the company said it expected a boost in the current quarter from its newest film hit “Rio.”

Revenue declined to $8.26 billion from $8.78 billion in the same quarter a year ago.

Earnings per share were 24 cents, compared with 32 cents a year earlier.

“As we anticipated, News Corporation’s third-quarter financial results faced challenging comparisons when set against last year’s record ‘Avatar’ contribution at our Filmed Entertainment business,” News Corp. chairman and chief executive Rupert Murdoch said in a statement.

ADVERTISEMENT

“However, the great response to ‘Rio’ and our confidence in our upcoming releases indicate that the difficult comparisons in this segment over the past nine months are now behind us,” Murdoch said.

“I’m particularly pleased that our Television segment, viewed by the market just one year ago as a challenged business, more than quadrupled its earnings contributions over the prior year quarter.”

The media giant saw income in its cable programming unit rise 25 percent to $735 million, and television income soared more than fourfold to $192 million. Its film division saw income fall by half to $248 million due to the “Avatar” effect.

ADVERTISEMENT

Meanwhile losses mounted 10 percent to $165 million in the income segment including MySpace, “stemming largely from lower advertising and search revenues,” the company said.

Publishing also dropped, both due to the $125 million litigation charge and sharp falls in advertising revenues for its Australian and British newspapers, it said.

ADVERTISEMENT


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

‘Cat is out of the bag’: Trump supporter Byron York reverses and says GOP must allow Bolton impeachment testimony

Published

on

The Washington Examiner's Byron York has long been sympathetic to President Donald Trump. He has repeatedly defended the president's conduct in Ukraine and attacked the Democratic case. Just a week ago, he penned a column criticizing the idea that Trump has been less cooperative in the impeachment trial than President Bill Clinton. And in particular, he has opposed Democratic demands for former National Security Adviser John Bolton to be called to testify against the president, saying, "if anything is covered by executive privilege, it would be the president's private conversations with his national security adviser about issues of foreign policy and national security."

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Mitt Romney: GOP senators ‘increasingly likely’ to call John Bolton to testify in impeachment trial

Published

on

John Bolton's book bombshell may have broken President Donald Trump's grip on the Republican Party.

The former national security adviser's forthcoming book "The Room Where It Happened" claims Trump explicitly tied Ukraine aid to an investigation of Joe Biden, and GOP senators are publicly saying they want him to testify during the impeachment trial.

“I think it’s increasingly likely that other Republicans will join those of us who think we should hear from John Bolton," said Sen. Mitt Romney (R-UT).

.@SenatorRomney tells reporters just now: “I think it’s increasingly likely that other Republicans will join those of us who think we should hear from John Bolton.”

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Lindsey Graham abruptly cancels planned press conference in wake of John Bolton bombshell

Published

on

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) abruptly canceled a planned press conference that had been scheduled for Monday morning after a bombshell report claimed that former national security adviser John Bolton is backing up a key allegation in the impeachment case against President Donald Trump.

Graham was originally set to talk at 11:30 a.m. on Monday alongside several of his fellow Republican senators, but Politico's Jake Sherman reveals that press event has now been shut down.

The graham presser has been canceled. https://t.co/sRwLzQMqri

Continue Reading
 
 
Help Raw Story Uncover Injustice. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1 and go ad-free.
close-image