U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder announced Thursday that the Department of Justice was opening an investigation into the deaths of two prisoners who allegedly perished in the Central Intelligence Agency’s (CIA) custody.
The decision, however, means the end of a broader probe of the agency’s use of torture during the Bush administration.
Leon Panetta, the outgoing CIA director who’s slated to lead the Department of Defense, praised the decision and expressed relief to reporters “that the broader inquiries are behind us.”
He added that “our primary responsibility is not to the past, but to the present and future threats to the nation.”
In announcing the probe of the two men’s deaths, Holder insisted that further investigation into other torture claims was “not warranted.”
“The men and women in our intelligence community perform an incredibly important service to our nation, and they often do so under difficult and dangerous circumstances,” he said. “They deserve our respect and gratitude for the work they do.”
The larger probe had sought to examine the interrogations of 101 prisoners in CIA custody.
Holder said their years-long probe ultimately ended up investigating “information and matters that had never previously been examined by the Department,” but that only these two deaths were worthy of a criminal investigation.
The same probe also found that the CIA had destroyed key records related to prisoner interrogations.
As many as 92 tapes of terror war captives being tortured by CIA operatives were allegedly destroyed. Officials suggested these recordings depicted torture sessions with terrorism suspects Abu Zubaydah and Abd al-Nashiri.
Along with the tapes, detailed records of the CIA’s so-called “torture flights,” showing the planes, destinations and even the passengers, were also said destroyed.
(H/T: National Journal)