Quantcast
Connect with us

Former employees claim James Murdoch misled British parliament

Published

on

LONDON (Reuters) – James Murdoch gave “mistaken” testimony to a British parliamentary committee, two senior ex-News of the World executives said on Thursday, the most direct accusation made so far against News Corp’s heir apparent in a phone-hacking scandal.

Murdoch said he stood behind his testimony to the committee, which had asked what he knew of a scandal that has forced senior News Corp executives and two senior police chiefs to quit and raised questions over press barons’ influence on politicians.

ADVERTISEMENT

The statement by Tom Crone, the British news group’s top legal officer until last week, and Colin Myler, editor of the News of the World tabloid until it was shut down earlier this month, was the first open challenge by former senior executives of Rupert Murdoch’s global media empire.

“I stand behind my testimony to the Select Committee,” James Murdoch said in response to the assertion by Myler and Crone that they told him of an email from a News of the World reporter to “Neville” containing transcripts of hacked voicemails.

Neville Thurlbeck was chief reporter on the weekly when it published a story about English soccer executive Gordon Taylor. Murdoch later approved a large payout to Taylor, but told the committee this week he had not been in possession of all the facts when he approved it.

The phone-hacking scandal has led News Corp, Rupert Murdoch’s global media empire, to drop its $12 billion bid for the 61 percent of pay-TV broadcaster BSkyB it does not own after public revulsion over allegations that dead soldiers’ families and a missing schoolgirl were among those whose voicemails were hacked.

ADVERTISEMENT

MURDOCH “NOT AWARE”

During three hours of questioning on Tuesday, James Murdoch, News Corp’s deputy chief operating officer, was asked by lawmaker Tom Watson: “Did you see or were you made aware of the full Neville email, the transcript of the hacked voicemail messages?”

“No, I was not aware of that at the time,” Murdoch told the committee, adding he was only aware of “key facts and evidence” that came to light at the end of 2010 when detectives re-launched a probe into phone-hacking and allegations that reporters had bribed police officers.

ADVERTISEMENT

An initial police inquiry led to the jailing of a News of the World reporter and a private detective in 2007.

British police are now investigating allegations that about 4,000 people had their phones hacked by journalists from the News of the World — among them politicians and celebrities as well as a missing schoolgirl, later found murdered, and families of victims of the 2005 London bombings.

Crone and Myler said in their statement: “Just by way of clarification relating to Tuesday’s CMS Select Committee hearing, we would like to point out that James Murdoch’s recollection of what he was told when agreeing to settle the Gordon Taylor litigation was mistaken.

ADVERTISEMENT

“In fact, we did inform him of the ‘for Neville’ email which had been produced to us by Gordon Taylor’s lawyers.”

Watson, reacting to the two men’s statement, told the Independent newspaper: “If these allegations are true, you can only reach the conclusion that James Murdoch misled parliament.”

John Whittingdale, chairman of the committee, said lawmakers could push Murdoch for clarification.

ADVERTISEMENT

“I haven’t seen the statement but if it is the case that Colin Myler and Tom Crone are in conflict on a serious issue then that is a matter we would want to obtain a response from James Murdoch on,” he told Reuters.

“James Murdoch has already said he will provide written evidence on other issues and we could ask for this to be clarified this way.”

ANOTHER EXECUTIVE SAID SACKED

ADVERTISEMENT

In a sign of further turmoil at News Corp, the BBC reported on Thursday that a senior executive at the News of the World’s sister paper, The Sun, had been sacked for matters relating to his previous job at the News of the World.

Sun features editor Matt Nixson, previously deputy features editor at the News of the World, was marched out of the building that houses all News Corp’s London newspapers, a senior journalist from Murdoch broadsheet the Times of London tweeted.

“Understand at one time Nixson worked on NOTW news desk under Ian Edmondson and Andy Coulson,” the Times’s Assistant News Editor David Rose wrote on his Twitter feed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Coulson, the former editor of the News of the World, went on to become Prime Minister David Cameron’s communications chief until he resigned in January.

He denies any knowledge of hacking but his connection to the investigation has encouraged the opposition Labour party to question Cameron’s judgment in employing him and provoked questions about Cameron’s relations with News Corp.

(Additional reporting by Kate Holton; editing by Tim Pearce)

ADVERTISEMENT

Source: Reuters US Online Report Top News

Mochila insert follows…

ADVERTISEMENT

Enjoy this piece?

… then let us make a small request. Like you, we here at Raw Story believe in the power of progressive journalism — and we’re investing in investigative reporting as other publications give it the ax. Raw Story readers power David Cay Johnston’s DCReport, which we've expanded to keep watch in Washington. We’ve exposed billionaire tax evasion and uncovered White House efforts to poison our water. We’ve revealed financial scams that prey on veterans, and legal efforts to harm workers exploited by abusive bosses. We’ve launched a weekly podcast, “We’ve Got Issues,” focused on issues, not tweets. And unlike other news outlets, we’ve decided to make our original content free. But we need your support to do what we do.

Raw Story is independent. You won’t find mainstream media bias here. We’re not part of a conglomerate, or a project of venture capital bros. From unflinching coverage of racism, to revealing efforts to erode our rights, Raw Story will continue to expose hypocrisy and harm. Unhinged from billionaires and corporate overlords, we fight to ensure no one is forgotten.

We need your support to keep producing quality journalism and deepen our investigative reporting. Every reader contribution, whatever the amount, makes a tremendous difference. Invest with us in the future. Make a one-time contribution to Raw Story Investigates, or click here to become a subscriber. Thank you. Click to donate by check.

Enjoy this piece?

… then let us make a small request. Like you, we here at Raw Story believe in the power of progressive journalism — and we’re investing in investigative reporting as other publications give it the ax. Raw Story readers power David Cay Johnston’s DCReport, which we've expanded to keep watch in Washington. We’ve exposed billionaire tax evasion and uncovered White House efforts to poison our water. We’ve revealed financial scams that prey on veterans, and efforts to harm workers exploited by abusive bosses. We’ve launched a weekly podcast, “We’ve Got Issues,” focused on issues, not tweets. Unlike other news sites, we’ve decided to make our original content free. But we need your support to do what we do.

Raw Story is independent. You won’t find mainstream media bias here. We’re not part of a conglomerate, or a project of venture capital bros. From unflinching coverage of racism, to revealing efforts to erode our rights, Raw Story will continue to expose hypocrisy and harm. Unhinged from corporate overlords, we fight to ensure no one is forgotten.

We need your support to keep producing quality journalism and deepen our investigative reporting. Every reader contribution, whatever the amount, makes a tremendous difference. Invest with us in the future. Make a one-time contribution to Raw Story Investigates, or click here to become a subscriber. Thank you.



Report typos and corrections to: [email protected]. Send news tips to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Trump-loving neo-Nazi charged with insanely violent threats against Latino woman

Published

on

Federal agents arrested a Washington state man who allegedly threatened to "exterminate" Latinos as part of a race war he believed would be launched by President Donald Trump.

According to court documents, Eric Lin frequently praised Nazi leader Adolf Hitler online and sent multiple death threats against a woman in Miami and plotted to pay a man to beat her up, reported the Miami New Times.

"The time will come when Miami will burn to the ground — and every Latin Man will be lined up against a Wall and Shot and every Latin Woman Raped or Cut to Pieces," Lin wrote Aug. 8, according to investigators.

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Republicans likely to block ‘background checks’ after Trump’s abrupt reversal: report

Published

on

After two mass shootings over one weekend, President Donald Trump signaled that he would be open to strengthening background checks.

He promptly dropped his resolve to sign gun regulations one week later when he said that there were already strong background checks on the books.

With the president's apparent reversal, Republicans in Congress also appear to be abandoning legislation, reports Politico.

“I really don’t see the dynamic having really changed there much,” Senate Homeland Security Chairman Ron Johnson told Politico. “I don’t anticipate we’re going to pass a federal red flag law."

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

‘Megalomaniacal, paranoid, and psychopathic’: Economist sounds the alarm on Trump’s ‘bottomless malevolence’

Published

on

Economist Jeffrey Sachs, a professor of Health Policy and Management at Columbia University, has written a frightening warning about President Donald Trump's "paranoid and psychopathic" leadership style, and he says it could have disastrous consequences for the world if he wins a second term.

In an essay published at progressive news website Common Dreams, Sachs argues that it would be a grave mistake to treat Trump like a cynical politician, when in reality he is an impulsive and vindictive narcissist who acts on his angry whims.

Continue Reading
 
 

Thank you for whitelisting Raw Story!

As a special thank you, from now until August 31st, we're offering you a discounted rate of $5.99/month to subscribe and get ad-free access. We're honored to have you as a reader. Thank you. :) —Elias, Membership Coordinator
LEARN MORE
close-link
close-image