Quantcast
Connect with us

Full WikiLeaks ‘cablegate’ archive available online

Published

on

The complete archive of 251,000 unredacted U.S. diplomatic cables given to anti-secrecy website WikiLeaks by a military whistleblower is now available for anyone to download and view, thanks to a forthcoming reporter and a breach in security protocol by someone at WikiLeaks.

Thinking there was nothing to it, David Leigh, investigations editor for The Guardian, published a password in his book about WikiLeaks. The password was for the cable archive, which the paper had been given early on, and it was supposed to be temporary. The book did not specify where the files were located.

ADVERTISEMENT

Seven months later, that password was still able to unlock an encrypted file inadvertantly put online by a unknown person, revealing the complete and unredacted “cablegate” archive.

The archive went online around the time of Assange’s arrest pending a Swedish investigation into sexual assault allegations, but nobody seemed to notice until recently.

Once it became clear the full archive was available on file sharing websites, WikiLeaks claimed it notified the U.S. State Department and began preparing legal action against The Guardian.

In a statement published Thursday, The Guardian said it “utterly rejects any suggestion that it is responsible for the release of the unedited cables.”

ADVERTISEMENT

With the cables online, WikiLeaks scrambled to publish more of the documents in region-specific media, releasing some without redacting the identities of confidential sources. The full archive contains thousands of cables that identify individuals in foreign countries who’ve shared information with U.S. diplomats and other sensitive details.

News organizations that have published WikiLeaks cables in the past — including Raw Story — have redacted the names of people who may be put in danger by the disclosures.

WikiLeaks began releasing redacted cabled last December in conjunction with its media partners, but had only published a small fraction of the more than 250,000 documents before the whole archive went online.

ADVERTISEMENT


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Michael Moore predicts Mick Mulvaney will get into Heaven after confessing Trump’s quid pro quo

Published

on

Academy Award-winning filmmaker Michael Moore predicted acting White House Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney will ascend to Heaven in the afterlife during a Friday interview on MSNBC's "The Beat" with Ari Melber.

The host played a clip of Mulvaney admitting Trump's quid pro quo while seeking foreign election assistance from Ukraine.

"This man obviously is going to be admitted into Heaven," Moore said. "You know, he told the truth."

"If there was a movie version of this, somebody stuck him with a needle just before he walked out onto the stage there, a truth serum needle, and he just went on and on saying, 'Yeah, that’s what we do. Yeah, of course.' Essentially admitting there is a quid pro quo. In fact, there are many quid pro quos."

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Trump campaign has 12-person ‘War Room’ toiling to fight the impeachment inquiry: report

Published

on

While the White House has bragged about refusing to start a "war room" to deal with the impeachment inquiry into President Donald Trump's administration, his campaign is footing the bill for a 12-person operation, the LA Times reported Friday.

“Some of you have criticized us for not having a war room — OK? — which we don’t by the way,” acting Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney told reporters.

“You don’t have a war room when you haven’t done anything wrong," he added.

By that logic, Trump's 2020 re-election campaign may fear the president did something wrong.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

‘I don’t think he knows what he’s doing’: Ex-Trump advisor rips the ‘cascading crisis’ of his ‘strategic disaster’

Published

on

President Donald Trump received harsh criticism from a former top Middle East advisor for the ethnic cleansing campaign Turkey is waging against the Kurds in Syria.

MSNBC's Chuck Todd interviewed Brett McGurk, the former special presidential envoy for the Global Coalition to Counter ISIL.

"The truth of the matter is when President Trump announced to the world last December that we were leaving Syria and he arbitrarily cut our force reportedly in half, which is already a small force, we lost all of our leverage and influence," McGurk argued. "And he really threw it out the window on this call on October 6th."

Continue Reading
 
 
Help Raw Story Uncover Injustice. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1 and go ad-free.
close-image