Quantcast
Connect with us

Murdoch denies seeking favors from UK leaders

Published

on

Media baron Rupert Murdoch tried on Wednesday to downplay his influence on British politics, saying in his first appearance at a press ethics inquiry he had never asked a prime minister for anything.

His testimony on oath at the Leveson inquiry in London came a day after claims emerged during evidence from his son James that a minister leaked details to Murdoch’s News Corp. about a bid for control of pay-TV giant BSkyB.

ADVERTISEMENT

The 81-year-old told British lawmakers last year that he had meetings with a string of British leaders including Prime Minister David Cameron, but on Wednesday Murdoch said he wanted to “put some myths to bed.”

“I’ve never asked a prime minister for anything,” Murdoch told the judge-led inquiry sitting at the Royal Courts of Justice, as he discussed ties going back as far as premier Margaret Thatcher in the 1970s.

Murdoch also rejected “untrue” rumours that he was unhappy with Cameron for ordering the inquiry following the phone-hacking scandal that closed down his News of the World newspaper in July last year.

But the fallout continued from the documents that News Corp. released to the inquiry on Tuesday, with culture minister Jeremy Hunt saying he would make a statement to parliament to rebuff calls for his resignation.

Emails and texts apparently showed that Hunt’s office leaked information to US-based News Corp. about its bid for full control of the highly profitable BSkyB. The bid collapsed in July last year due to the hacking row.

ADVERTISEMENT

Hunt, who is lead minister for the Olympic Games which open in London on July 27, was charged with the decision on whether the takeover should be allowed to go ahead.

“I am going to be making a very, very determined effort to show that I behaved with total integrity,” the minister told reporters as he left his home early Wednesday.

Cameron’s spokesman insisted the premier had full confidence in Hunt but the premier was expected to face a grilling at Wednesday’s Prime Minister’s Questions session in parliament.

ADVERTISEMENT

Murdoch’s testimony at the inquiry is his highest profile appearance in Britain since he told a parliamentary committee last year that he had meetings with Cameron and former premiers Tony Blair and Gordon Brown.

Murdoch was also attacked with a foam pie at that hearing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Giving evidence on Tuesday, James Murdoch, the deputy chief operating officer of News Corp., said he had discussed the proposed takeover with Cameron at a 2010 Christmas party.

Cameron has previously denied having had any “inappropriate conversations” with James Murdoch at the party.

Transcripts of emails and text messages between Frederic Michel, News Corp’s public affairs executive, and Adam Smith, special advisor to Hunt, appeared to reveal close collaboration over how to counter the deal’s opponents.

ADVERTISEMENT

In one text published on the inquiry’s website, Michel wrote: “Think we are in a good place, no?”, to which Smith replied: “Very yes. Jeremy (Hunt) happy.”

Britain’s newspapers suggested the Murdoch family were exacting revenge after the government distanced itself from News Corp. in the wake of the hacking scandal.

“Murdochs turn tables on Cameron and Hunt,” said the Financial Times on its front page, while the Daily Mail carried the headline: “Revenge of the Murdochs”.

In Tuesday’s session, James Murdoch also repeated his assertion that he did not know about the extent of phone hacking at the 168-year-old News of the World.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Sunday tabloid was forced to shut down after a wave of revelations that its staff illegally accessed the voicemail messages of a murdered teenage girl and the families of dead soldiers as well as dozens of celebrities.

The scandal claimed the jobs of two senior policemen with ties to the News of the World, and Cameron’s media advisor, a former editor of the tabloid.

Murdoch still owns The Sun, The Times and the Sunday Times in Britain. News Corp also owns the Wall Street Journal and Fox News in the United States.


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

FBI investigating Chinese businessman who bankrolled media company linked to Steve Bannon

Published

on

A Wall Street Journal expose revealed that a Chinese businessman is under investigation by the FBI after he used funds to bankroll a media company with ties to a former aide to President Donald Trump, Steve Bannon.

"Federal Bureau of Investigation national security agents in recent months have asked people who know both men for information on Mr. Guo’s activities, including the source of funds of a media company linked to him that hired Mr. Bannon in 2018 as a consultant, the people said," according to the Journal. "As recently as last week, the FBI met with one person familiar with the companies tied to Mr. Guo, the people said. The probe has been underway for more than six months, and prosecutors from the U.S. Attorney’s offices in Manhattan and Brooklyn have been involved.

Continue Reading

Facebook

Mike Pompeo asks Egypt to stop harassing US citizens

Published

on

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Wednesday welcomed Egypt's release of a US citizen but urged the ally to stop harassment of others.

Mohamed Amashah, 24, was freed Monday, nearly 16 months after he was arrested in Cairo's Tahrir Square for holding up a sign seeking the release of prisoners, according to human rights campaigners.

A dual US-Egyptian citizen who lives in New Jersey, he had gone on a hunger strike this year to protest his conditions.

"We thank Egypt for securing his release and his repatriation," Pompeo told a news conference.

"But at the same time, we urge Egyptian officials to stop unwarranted harassment of US citizens and their families who remain there," he said.

Continue Reading
 

Facebook

More than 100 Roger Stone accounts, pages removed from Instagram and Facebook

Published

on

A network of more than 100 social accounts and pages related to former Trump adviser Roger Stone were removed Wednesday. The under the radar raid reportedly consisted of 54 Facebook accounts, 50 Facebook pages and four accounts on Instagram, a photo-sharing platform owned by Facebook.

Approximately 260,000 accounts followed one or more of these Pages and 61,500 people followed one or more of these Instagram accounts. Several of the pages were also linked to the Proud Boys, a far-right group banned from Facebook in 2018.

Continue Reading
 
 
You need honest news coverage. Help us deliver it. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free.
close-image