LOS ANGELES — Prosecutors declined Tuesday to press charges against Lindsay Lohan for an alleged theft from a Hollywood Hills home, averting a new court case for the perennially-challenged actress.
Los Angeles Deputy District Attorney Deborah L. Kranze said there was not enough evidence to file charges against the 26-year-old star and two other people over the alleged theft of $6,400 in cash and property.
“We do not have sufficient evidence to prove this case beyond a reasonable doubt,” she said, also noting that the alleged victims “do not wish to pursue the prosecution of this matter.”
The items allegedly stolen included $3,000 in cash, four pairs of sunglasses, an iPod and some keys to two cars and a house, allegedly stolen on August 18.
The prosecutors’ decision will be a relief for Lohan, who is starting to put her life back on track after years of legal and other problems.
After a promising early start as a child actress, the star of “The Parent Trap” and “Freaky Friday” became known chiefly as a hell-raising celebrity with substance abuse problems and frequent brushes with the law.
In March, an LA judge formally ended Lohan’s probation after a long string of court appearances, but told her to “stop the nightclubbing” and behave more maturely.
Trump is ‘having a full-blown mental breakdown’ and needs to resign: Ex-Trump staffer
Leading Republican elected officials should work with President Donald Trump's family to negotiate him resigning from office, a former top White House official suggested on MSNBC on Friday.
Former White House press secretary Anthony Scaramucci blasted his former boss during an interview with Chuck Todd on MSNBC's "Meet the Press Daily."
"He has totally and completely lost it. There is nobody that can look at the situation, read the tweets, look at the press sprays, and say he hasn’t lost it," Scaramucci argued.
"What does that mean, lost it?" Todd asked. "Define that."
Obama’s chief economist warns of ‘a very high chance’ Trump’s trade war could cause 2020 recession
The former chair of the Council of Economic Advisers under President Barack Obama warned of "a very high chance" of Trump's trade war with China resulting in a recession -- "just in time for 2020."
Austan Goolsbee was interviewed by MSNBC's John Heilemann on Friday after the DJIA closed down over 600 points after the trade war escalated on Friday.
"Just give us, if you would, Austan, your sense of what has unfolded today and how bad it is," Heilemann asked.
"Yes, it’s terrible, I'm phoning from a bunker as we speak," Goolsbee replied.
"There hasn’t been a day like this in a very long time. Yes, the markets sell a lot but the fact we’re going to have an escalating trade war, the president of the United States is publicly declaring the head of the Fed an enemy of the state and, oh, by the way, 40% of the Amazon is on fire and Ruth Bader Ginsburg is being treated for pancreatic cancer," he continued. "If this is on a Friday, it makes it bad for Monday."
Trump responds to China raising tariffs — by raising tariffs on over half a trillion dollars in Chinese goods
After US markets tanked on Friday, President Donald Trump dramatically escalated his trade war with China.
"For many years China (and many other countries) has been taking advantage of the United States on trade, intellectual property theft, and much more. Our country has been losing hundreds of billions of dollars a year to China, with no end in sight," Trump tweeted.
"Sadly, past Administrations have allowed China to get so far ahead of fair and balanced trade that it has become a great burden to the American taxpayer. As President, I can no longer allow this to happen," he argued.