Senator Bob Corker (R-TN) may have barely scraped into office six years ago, but since then the state has increasingly become a Republican stronghold, and now the Democrats have suffered an epic failure in their attempt to find a credible candidate to put up against him.
The seven would-be candidates who competed in Thursday’s primary were all unknowns, and the winner, a flooring installer with no political experience, won with just 26% of the vote. Now Democratic Party leaders have taken a closer look at 35-year-old Mark Clayton, and they aren’t at all pleased with that they see.
In a statement issued Friday, the party disavowed Clayton over his ties to an alleged hate group, indicated they will not be supporting him in any way, and urged Democrats to write in a candidate of their choice next November.
“The only time that Clayton has voted in a Democratic primary was when he was voting for himself,” the statement explains. “Many Democrats in Tennessee knew nothing about any of the candidates in the race, so they voted for the person at the top of the ticket.”
Clayton is the vice-president of a conservative Virginia-based group called Public Advocate of the United States, which has been labeled a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center. It is virulently opposed to same-sex marriage, and one of its most recent press releases was headlined “Eating Chicken Declared A Hate Crime Pro-homosexual Socialist Dictators Attack Private Companies just like their President Barack Obama Attacks Private Companies.”
Clayton’s own website currently returns a Bandwidth Limit Exceeded message. According to an article at Mother Jones Magazine, however, when the site is available, it reveals that “Mark Clayton believes the federal government is building a massive, four-football-field wide superhighway from Mexico City to Toronto as part of a secret plot to establish a new North American Union that will bring an end to America as we know it.”
“Elsewhere, he warns of an encroaching ‘godless new world order,'” the article continues, “and suggests that Americans who speak out against government policies could some day be placed in ‘a bone-crushing prison camp similar to the one Alexander Solzhenitsyn was sent or to one of FEMA’s prison camps.'(There are no FEMA prison camps.) In April 2008, Clayton issued a press release accusing Google of censoring his campaign website on behalf the Chinese government.”
“With a conspiracy theorist now a leader of the state Democratic party,” Mother Jones suggests, “the local GOP—a bastion of evolution and climate change denialism—has an opening: It can be the party of rationality.”
Photo of Sanator Bob Corker by United States Congress [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons
Here are 7 wild, bizarre and pathetic moments from Trump’s ‘campaign launch’
On Tuesday night, President Donald Trump held a rally that was billed as the official launch his re-election campaign — though he has never really stopped holding campaign rallies.
As expected, the president ranted, lied, and engaged in the raucous attacks that are central to his connection with Republican voters. Some of it was actually just sad, such as his continued obsession with Hillary Clinton.
Here are seven of the wildest, disturbing and pathetic moments from the rally:
1. He said Democrats "want to destroy our country as we know it."
Trump casually accuses Democrats of "want[ing] to destroy you and they want to destroy our country as we know it." pic.twitter.com/4K79KlbEeR
British PM candidates clash over Brexit as Boris Johnson skips debate
Candidates to become Britain's next prime minister clashed over Brexit strategy at their first debate on Sunday but the frontrunner, Boris Johnson, dodged the confrontation.
The 90-minute debate on Channel 4 featured the five remaining candidates and an empty podium for Johnson, the gaffe-prone former foreign secretary and former mayor of London.
In sometimes ill-tempered exchanges, four of the five candidates said they would seek to renegotiate the draft Brexit divorce deal agreed with Brussels even though EU leaders have repeatedly ruled this out.
Michael Cohen ordered back to Congress on March 6
President Donald Trump's so-called "fixer" is being asked to return to Congress for more questioning on March 6.
Outside of the closed-door committee hearing Thursday, Cohen said that the House Intelligence Committee is seeking further information, according to Washington Examiner writer Byron York.
Michael Cohen finished closed-door testimony before House Intel Committee, says he's coming back for another session March 6. Again: No reason for secrecy. Transcripts should be released ASAP.
— Byron York (@ByronYork) February 28, 2019