Quantcast
Connect with us

Police protecting suspected anti-Islam filmmaker in Los Angeles

Published

on

LOS ANGELES — The man suspected of producing a crude film lampooning the Prophet Mohammed has been placed under police protection after protests erupted around the world, a force spokesman said Thursday.

Journalists gathered outside the home of a 55-year-old Coptic Christian, Nakoula Basseley Nakoula, in the city’s southern suburbs, after reports he had directed the movie that triggered protests in the Muslim world.

There was no sign at the house of Nakoula, who is thought to have uploaded a trailer for the movie to the YouTube video-sharing site under the pseudonym “Sam Bacile,” but police said he had asked for protections.

“We did receive the call and we did respond. We’re providing public safety and we will continue to do so,” said Steve Whitman, a spokesman for the county sheriff in Cerritos, 24 miles (40 kilometers) south of Los Angeles.

Little is known about Nakoula, who was sentenced to 21 months in prison in 2010 for bank fraud. His family refused to speak to reporters at his home.

ADVERTISEMENT

If he is the figure who has been posing as Sam Bacile, then he told two US media outlets that he was Israeli-American and Jewish, but an associate has now confirmed to AFP that he is a Christian American and not Israeli.

A 14-minute package of excerpts from the movie he is thought to have produced — “Innocence of the Muslims” — was uploaded onto the Internet in July. In it, an actor playing Mohammed is portrayed as a drunken and predatory bisexual.

The film is marked by amateur acting, laughable fake beards and shoddy production values was apparently shot in English, but a version of the trailer was dubbed into Egyptian Arabic and caused great offense in the Arab world.

ADVERTISEMENT

Egyptian Islamist television networks broadcast the clip, triggering a riot in which a mob stormed the grounds of the American embassy and tore down the US flag. Similar unrest erupted in Yemen on Thursday.

An attack on the US consulate in the Libyan city of Benghazi on Tuesday, the 11th anniversary of the September 11 attacks, was at first thought to be linked to the protests, but investigators now suspect an extremist plot.

Actors who appeared in the film have come forward to denounce “Bacile”, alleging they were misled about the content and that references to Islam and the Prophet Mohammed were dubbed over their voices in post production.


Report typos and corrections to [email protected].

Send confidential news tips to [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

White woman threatens to call cops on black man after he splashes her car with water during rainstorm

Published

on

In yet another story of a white woman having a meltdown because a black person was doing, well, basically nothing, BET reports that a black man driving down   a flooded street during a rainstorm was threatened by a white woman saying she would report him to the police for splashing her car.

Or, as the poster of the viral video, @sewellwells wrote on Instagram: "So this LADY  bout to call the COPS  on me cause my Car wet her Car."

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Trump campaign associate faces new child sex trafficking charges: report

Published

on

George Nader, a key witness in special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation, will reportedly face new federal charges of child pornography, sex trafficking and obscenity.

A new indictment will be unsealed Friday in the Eastern District of Virginia, adding to separate child-porn charges filed by the same prosecutors last month, according to a source who spoke to The Daily Beast.

The 60-year-old Lebanese-American businessman testified before Mueller's probe to discuss his meetings with Trump campaign associates during the 2016 election campaign and during the early days of the administration.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Employees revolt after San Diego store manager berates customer for speaking Spanish

Published

on

Two employees at a store in San Diego this week quit their jobs after witnessing their boss angrily lash out at a woman who was speaking Spanish.

10 News San Diego reports that the manager at a My Sister’s Closet thrift store attacked a customer named Sofia Olvera, who was in the store to buy back a pair of shoes.

Celia Miranda, one of the former employees of My Sister's Closet who quit in the wake of the incident, told 10 News San Diego that the manager told Olvera that "I think that people who do not speak English have no business consigning here." Miranda objected to the manager's comments -- and was promptly sent home from work.

Continue Reading
 
 
 

Copyright © 2019 Raw Story Media, Inc. PO Box 21050, Washington, D.C. 20009 | Masthead | Privacy Policy | For corrections or concerns, please email [email protected]

Join Me. Try Raw Story Investigates for $1. Invest in Journalism. Escape Ads.
close-image