Quantcast
Connect with us

Italian erotic flick wins top prizes at Rome film festival as audience boos

Published

on

Italian erotic film “And They Call it Summer” which was booed during its screening at the Rome Film Festival, scooped two prizes at the awards ceremony on Saturday to catcalls from the audience.

Italy’s Paolo Franchi won the best director prize for his steamy tale of a man unable to have sex with the woman he loves but who harbours a passion for prostitutes which strains the couple’s relationship to breaking point.

ADVERTISEMENT

“It is brave filmmaking, obsessive filmmaking, uncompromising. It will be hated and loved,” said Australian director P.J. Hogan, a member of the international jury at the seventh edition of the festival.

“This film angered many of us and it angered you. Many of you yelled at the screen during it, but many others stood up and applauded at the end.”

“Good or bad, this film got under your skin,” he said.

Best actress went to Isabella Ferrari, who was heckled with cries of “shame!” when she collected her award for her role in “E la chiamano estate.”

ADVERTISEMENT

With tears in her eyes, she thanked the jury for supporting “a daring work,” heralded by supporters as the Italian version of the critically acclaimed 2011 film “Shame” about a sex addict.

American cult director Larry Clark’s “Marfa Girl” won the top prize.

Clark’s latest tale of adolescent passions, sex, drugs after “Kids” and “Ken Park” beat 14 other international films in competition to snap up the Marc Aurelio prize, awarded by a jury led by American movie director Jeff Nichols.

ADVERTISEMENT

The best actor award went to French actor Jeremie Elkaim for “Hand in the Hand” (Main dans la main), a poetic comedy on love by Valerie Donzelli, whose 2011 “Declaration of War” (La Guerre est declaree) did very well in France.

Special jury prize went to Claudio Giovannesi’s “Ali has blue eyes,” a week in the life of an Egyptian teenager, born in Italy, who struggles to navigate between his Italian social life and the demands of his Muslim parents.

“I hope the Italian government will change the law to give children born in Italy to foreign parents Italian citizenship,” an emotional Giovannesi said.

ADVERTISEMENT

For the first time, the festival was directed by former Venice Film Festival head Marco Muller, who has been criticised for not attracting Hollywood stars.

The ceremony wound up a festival which prided itself on the number of world premieres — 59 plus five international premieres — and giving emerging filmmakers a voice, but failed in terms of red carpet glamour.

Muller had previously denied claims the lack of blockbusters had hurt ticket sales, which were down 15 percent on last year.

ADVERTISEMENT

While Hollywood Veteran Sylvestor Stallone was present to unveil his latest buddy action flick, many other stars who had been down to come failed to show.
Muller’s early hints that cult director Quentin Tarantino would turn up as a surprise with his latest film “Django Unchained” came to nothing, and he hotly refuted reports that he would be stepping down as head of the festival.


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Retiring Republican lawmaker blames Trump’s ‘petty, childish bullsh*t’ for massive GOP exodus

Published

on

In an examination of the record-breaking number of Republican lawmakers who have decided to quit or retire despite holding a seat in solidly conservative congressional districts, one lawmaker admitted that he grew weary of having to deal with Donald Trump's daily Twitter habit and other shenanigans -- so he is calling it quits.

As the Washington Post reports, "Since Trump’s inauguration, a Washington Post analysis shows that nearly 40 percent of the 241 Republicans who were in office in January 2017 are gone or leaving because of election losses, retirements including former House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (Wis)."

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Internet rains hell on ‘fake Christian’ Karen Pence’s new Twitter account: ‘I can’t wait for the rapture’

Published

on

The Internet reacted with scorn over the weekend after Second Lady Karen Pence announced a new Twitter account aimed at reelecting President Donald Trump.

In her first tweet, Pence posted a video lavishing praise on the president.

"There are probably a lot of things you don't know about me," Pence says in the video. "For example, I enjoy painting, I love to ride my bike and I like nothing better than reading a good book. On my new Twitter account, I will share what I'm up to when I'm not in the office at the White House."

Excited to start a new #Twitter account to help tell the story of all the accomplishments under the leadership of @realDonaldTrump and @mike_pence! Follow along to KEEP AMERICA GREAT! 🇺🇸 pic.twitter.com/RaPwC5ThyR

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

WATCH: Trump admits he talked to Ukraine president about Joe Biden and his son

Published

on

President Donald Trump Sunday morning admitted he brought up Joe Biden and the former Vice President’s son Hunter Biden while speaking with the President of Ukraine.

“The conversation I had was largely congratulatory, with largely corruption, all of the corruption taking place and largely the fact that we don’t want our people like Vice President Biden and his son creating to the corruption,” Trump said, speaking to reporters from the White House lawn.

Watch:

BREAKING: President Trump admits that he talked to the Ukrainian president about former Vice President Biden. #MTP #IfItsSunday@kristenwelker: "From the president's perspective, the only way to put this story to bed is to release the transcript." pic.twitter.com/aaJ6DjMN0E

Continue Reading
 
 
Help Raw Story Investigate and Uncover Injustice. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1 and go ad-free.
close-image