Two men walked the streets of Portland armed with assault weapons earlier this week because they said they wanted to "educate" residents, who reacted by fleeing and calling police.
Warren Drouin and Steven Boyce told KPTV that they were forced to take drastic measure to make sure people were aware of their Second Amendment rights after 20 children in Connecticut were massacred with same type of AR-15 rifles they were carrying.
"We're not threatening anyone," Drouin explained. "We don't have that type of criminal behavior."
"This happens to open that line of communication, to let people know that you can defend yourself in a time of crisis or any time that you want to," Boyce added.
But KPTV's Kaitlyn Bolduc reported that the demonstration created a "state of panic" in Portland's Sellwood neighborhood.
"Employees inside of E Hair Studio hid in the back of the salon and locked there doors, while other ran for help for fear the two were really there to cause harm," Bolduc said.
Police spoke to Drouin and Boyce and said the conceal-carry permit holders had not broken any laws.
The men insisted that they understood that people were on edge after recent mass shootings but hoped residents would approach them to ask questions during future demonstrations.
"We did mind the school posting signs," Boyce pointed out. "We don't don't want to cause any trouble with that. We totally respect -- there is a little bit of emotional sensitivity towards that and it's just -- we were walking the streets."
Watch this video from KPTV, broadcast Jan. 9. 2013.