Bill O’Reilly falsely claims Obama had no plan to avert automatic budget cuts
On his show Monday night, Fox News host Bill O’Reilly falsely claimed President Barack Obama had no specific plan to avert $85 billion in across-the-board budget cuts known as the sequester.
O’Reilly began the segment by imploring Obama to show leadership by bowing to Republican demands to cut spending without raising revenues.
“Today in America, President Obama is not showing leadership and I encourage the President to take a look back at Lincoln, because I know Mr. Obama is a fan,” he said. “There is no way on Earth that President Lincoln would allow the fiscal chaos we have today. As talking points has stated, this is not a complicated matter. The President and the Democratic Party must agree to cut federal spending. They have to do that, yet the President resists.”
O’Reilly claimed “we wouldn’t be in this mess” if Mitt Romney had been elected and alleged the media was unfairly defending Obama. He said House Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) was correct to say Obama had no plan to deal with the sequester.
“There is no specific plan put forth by the President,” O’Reilly remarked. “That’s why there is chaos.”
Obama offered a budget plan to avert the sequester and cut about $4.3 trillion from the federal deficit with a combination of spending cuts and tax increases. Senate Democrats had enough votes to pass legislation that loosely reflected the President’s proposal. However, the budget plan was filibustered by Senate Republicans.
Watch video, courtesy of Fox News, below: