Quantcast
Connect with us

Christian Bale to play Moses in Ridley Scott’s biblical epic

Published

on

Dark Knight Rises actor set to take the lead in Scott’s forthcoming Old Testament saga, though there is competition to get the story to the screen

Christian Bale is set to play Moses in Ridley Scott’s retelling of the story of the biblical hero, according to Deadline. The suggestion follows reports last week that Steven Spielberg has left rival Moses project Gods and Kings, with Oscar-winning Life of Pi director Ang Lee tipped to replace him.

Deadline reports that 20th Century Fox is moving forward apace with its take on Moses, which is titled Exodus, as confusion surrounds the future of rival studio Warner Bros’s proposed version. Bale is being lined up to star and Scott’s American Gangster screenwriter Steve Zaillian has signed on to do a rewrite. The US blog says Scott could make it his next project as director after completing work on The Counselor, his forthcoming thriller based on novelist Cormac McCarthy’s debut screenplay.

Spielberg’s Moses film was previously described as an epic biopic of the Israelite leader in a gritty Braveheart-meets-Saving-Private-Ryan style. Scott, meanwhile, was expected to plump for a detailed reworking which would focus on the minutiae of his subject’s life, such as the leader’s relationship with Pharaoh Rameses II, as well as more famous episodes.

The most famous Hollywood retelling of the Moses story is the 1956 Cecil B DeMille epic The Ten Commandments, which starred Charlton Heston in the lead role and was one of the highest grossing films of its era. It received seven Academy award nominations including best picture, and also won the Oscar for best visual effects, thanks largely to its famous parting of the Red Sea scene.

Given the history of Moses on the big screen, both films are likely to require enormous budgets. There is therefore the strong possibility of one movie’s backers withdrawing should their project find itself lagging behind in the race to multiplexes. It has happened before to some well-established film-makers, notably Baz Luhrmann, whose Alexander the Great biopic was canned in the wake of Oliver Stone’s 2004 film Alexander hitting cinemas.

ADVERTISEMENT

guardian.co.uk © Guardian News and Media 2013

 

Report typos and corrections to [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Facebook

Russians to prod Putin on poverty and his personal life as his ratings tank

Published

on

Russians are set to ask President Vladimir Putin about growing poverty at home and tensions abroad during an annual televised phone-in Thursday, which comes following a fall in his approval ratings.

The leader is also likely to face a degree of grilling on his personal life, according to questions submitted by the public online ahead of the live show.

Set to be held for the 17th time since Putin came to power in 1999, the show starts at 0900 GMT and usually lasts several hours.

Ahead of the carefully choreographed show, more than one million questions had been submitted, organisers told Russian news agencies.

Continue Reading

Facebook

Trump could turn on Hope Hicks just like Michael Cohen: Trump family biographer warns

Published

on

Trump family biographer Emily Jane Fox explained that she didn't think that the president would turn on long-time aide Hope Hicks, but then again, it was the same thought about Michael Cohen as well.

In a panel discussion about Hicks' testimony during MSNBC's Brian Williams' Wednesday show, Fox recalled that Micahel Cohen once said that he would take a bullet for the president. Once it appeared that Trump would throw him under the bus, Cohen began looking for a way out.

The same scenario seems to be happening with Hicks now.

"She works at new Fox, which is a company run by a Murdoch son," Fox said. "It's a company that's brand new. She's the head of communications there. And there are shareholders who would take issue with the fact that a senior member of this company is being put in this situation and being thrust on the world stage."

Continue Reading
 

Facebook

Trump jumped to Speaker Pelosi’s defense in marathon Fox News interview

Published

on

In a strange twist, President Donald Trump appeared to defend House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) during an interview with Fox News host Sean Hannity Wednesday.

Hannity began by saying to Trump that he believes Pelosi has lost control of her own party, as officials like Reps. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) and Ilhan Omar (D-MN) continue to call for impeachment.

"I say Nancy Pelosi is the speaker in name only," Hannity told Trump, calling Ocasio-Cortez the real start.

But what Trump said was the unusual point.

"I think Nancy Pelosi probably has control of it, I hear different things, but I think she does," Trump said, appearing to defend the Speaker. "She knows what she's doing. We will see how it all comes out."

Continue Reading
 
 

Copyright © 2019 Raw Story Media, Inc. PO Box 21050, Washington, D.C. 20009 | Masthead | Privacy Policy | For corrections or concerns, please email [email protected]

I need your help.

Investigating Trump's henchmen is a full time job, and I'm trying to bring in new team members to do more exclusive reports. We have more stories coming you'll love. Join me and help restore the power of hard-hitting progressive journalism.

TAKE A LOOK
close-link

Investigating Trump is a full-time job, and I want to add new team members to do more exclusive reports. We have stories coming you'll love. Join me and go ad-free, while restoring the power of hard-hitting progressive journalism.

TAKE A LOOK
close-link