CNN broke the news on Sunday of a guilty verdict in a rape case in Steubenville, Ohio by lamenting that the “promising” lives of the rapists had been ruined, but spent very little time focusing on how the 16-year-old victim would have to live with what was done to her.
Judge Thomas Lipps announced on Sunday that Trent Mays, 17, and Ma’lik Richmond, 16, would be given a maximum sentence after being found guilty of raping a 16-year-old girl while she was unconscious. Richmond could be released from a juvenile rehabilitation facility by the age of 21 and Mays could be incarcerated until the age of 24.
CNN’s Candy Crowley began her breaking news report by showing Lipps handing down the sentence and telling CNN reporter Poppy Harlow that she “cannot imagine” how emotional the sentencing must have been.
Harlow explained that it had been “incredibly difficult” to watch “as these two young men — who had such promising futures, star football players, very good students — literally watched as they believed their life fell apart.”
“One of the young men, Ma’lik Richmond, as that sentence came down, he collapsed,” the CNN reporter recalled, adding that the convicted rapist told his attorney that “my life is over, no one is going to want me now.”
At that point, CNN played video of Richmond crying and hugging his lawyer in the courtroom.
“I was sitting about three feet from Ma’lik when he gave that statement,” Harlow said. “It was very difficult to watch.”
Candy then asked CNN legal contributor Paul Callan what the verdict meant for “a 16 year old, sobbing in court, regardless of what big football players they are, they still sound like 16 year olds.”
“What’s the lasting effect though on two young men being found guilty juvenile court of rape essentially?” Crowley wondered.
“There’s always that moment of just — lives are destroyed,” Callan remarked. “But in terms of what happens now, the most severe thing with these young men is being labeled as registered sex offenders. That label is now placed on them by Ohio law.”
“That will haunt them for the rest of their lives.”
Watch this video from CNN, broadcast March 17, 2013.
‘Get the hell out!’: Trump supporters freak out when protesters show up to Lindsey Graham event
A small group of protesters came to one of Lindsey Graham's latest campaign events, and they were quickly attacked by supporters of President Donald Trump chanting "four more years."
Graham's event seemed to have more support for Trump than for Graham at his own weekend event. It's unknown why the Trump supporters were not chanting for Graham.
"Get the hell out!" one Trump supporter can be heard shouting. He and another older man were seen wagging their fingers
At least one Graham protester could be seen holding up a sign with Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg.
The South Carolina senator is fighting for his political career and many other Republicans struggling to hold onto their seats. Graham is now being confronted with past comments he made saying that no president, regardless of the party, should make a Supreme Court pick right before his or her election.
WATCH: Trump supporters yell ‘white power’ as 2020 convoy speeds through college town
Supporters of President Donald Trump were caught on video over the weekend shouting "white power" as they participated in a convoy to bolster the Republican ticket.
The incident was said to have occurred in Elon, a small college town in North Carolina.
According to the Triad City Beat, the convoy was organized by conservative activist Gary Williamson, who coordinated with the local Young Republicans chapter.
Watch the video below.
Video clip shows supporters in a Trump convoy passing through Elon, NC shouting "White power!" two separate times. ACTBAC founder Gary Williamson organized the convoy, which coordinated w/ a Alamance County Young Republicans event #Election2020 #ncpol pic.twitter.com/VQo8Hmgkc0
Lindsey Graham brutally buried by former RNC head over court vote flip-flop: ‘This is about power’
Appearing on MSNBC's "AM Joy" with fill-in host Jonathan Capehart, former Republican National Committee head Michael Steele laughed at the notion that Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) could be taken for his word from 2016 that he would not vote on a Supreme Court justice in an election year.
According to the laughing Steele, there was "no way in hell" Graham was sincere when he made that pledge.
Asked by host Capehart about the Graham statement, Steele began, "No, I didn't believe it when he said it."
"Everyone is taking the people at their word," the former GOP executive explained. "There was no way in hell that a Supreme Court nomination opens up, it could open up the day before the election and Donald Trump and Lindsey Graham and everyone would be all on it."